Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI Accuracy
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI Accuracy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThroMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: POI Accuracy Reply with quote

I've got my 7.10 WE map working and am still surprised to find that the built in POI's (mainly petrol) seem to be about 50 yards away from their actual location.

Are there any TT units out there with POI's in the correct place?

They've been like this for a few years now, thought it may at last get resolved!
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is assumed that many of the in-built POI categories were made by using the address or postcode as supplied by the company in question (eg "where's my nearest store?" page on websites). It does not appear to have been done by actually visiting the site and getting a GPS fix.

At best, they should be used to get a general idea that there is a petrol station etc nearby.
Brodit ProClip mount
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered adding Custom POI files to the device? - these are more often found to be both accurate and more upto date, a good place to start is the POI downloads page from this site, which can be found Here

Don't go mad adding everything to the unit though depending upon the device there is a limit as to how many Custom POI Categories you can add to it. The x20 devices will accept around 300 (depending upon MapShare corrections which will reduce the number avaialable for use), x10 devices will accept around 160 (ish) again dependent upon MapShare and software version on the device - Mike
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wouldn't rely on tomtom petrol stations ,i've been caught short a few times looking for a petrol station when there isn't 1 and wasting feul by looking didn't help either ..i have found the poi on this site a lot more useful
Hoppy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the POI's from this site which are far better anyway. Then update add remove the POI's in your area as I do and the database here will get even better.
NA 2GB v8.45
chrisjr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want inaccurate POIs just browse your TomTom to Reading where I live. Use the Find option to locate Rose Kiln Lane crossing with Boulton Road.

You will find three wildly inaccurate car dealerships. The two near the roundabout at Gillette way are OK but one is in the car park outside Currys, one is in the middle of nowwhere and one is in serious danger of falling into a stream Smile

They are all a good half mile south of where they should be (though I'm not sure about the one falling in the stream!) Just follow the A33 north till you hit a junction. They should be near there.

In fact I would advise anyone visiting Reading to turn off the POIs and guess. You will probably be more accurate than a lot of the ones I've seen Very Happy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisjr wrote:
If you want inaccurate POIs just browse your TomTom to Reading where I live.
On the other hand, back in the heady days when I was just getting into my early TT GO720s, the POIs from pgpsw took me right to the front doors of the three Halfords stores in Reading. Thumbs Up

There's a moral there somewhere, which is that like the cameras, TT should leave these things to us smartypantses whilst they concentrate on making their devices work again, rather than sound good in the sales pitch.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should try looking for the Holiday Inn at M4 J4, near Heathrow Airport. The TomTom version appears to be in the right place, but the complex road system makes it impossible to find the entrance.

Switch to the PGPSW version, and it takes you straight to the door.
NukeThemAll
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And could I re-iterate a plea I made in the POI forum. Having been hugely grateful to other contributors for the amazing range and accuracy of the POIs, please look at the POIs in your area and correct/add as much as you can. The instructions are on the POI forum and the provided method makes it pretty easy.
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's what i am doing in east sussex or where ever i am on my travels ,i do my best to relocate them even if they are fair way out ..if everyone did do this we would soon have a fantastic set of poi's you can rely on

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: