Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - MioMap Updater doesn't find updates
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

MioMap Updater doesn't find updates
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPSBear wrote:
I am very tempted to unlock the beast and run Igo on it. Anyone done that?

This is, I suspect, running a bit close to the margins of what the moderators will allow.

I did experiment with iGO which is basically identical to Miomap 3.3 in June/July last year. It works well and is better than the Miomap software in terms of update and bug fix support.

I won't say anymore than that other than that *if* you can obtain a licensed version of iGO My Way for PNA then it is the way to go. It also provides for TMC reception in the US - Mio products do not unless you buy an extra license which, by the way, is no longer available for purchase for CX10 and earlier products!

This is actually a serious point: Mio has already pulled the rug from the C710's (and C510's) functionality by removing the ability to buy a TMC license for use in the US. The lovely irony of all this is that until recently the US TMC license purchase page used C710 screenshots as part of the purchase demonstration. The page still uses some old gifs taken from the C710 screen!

Seriously, do not buy a sat nav device from these jokers. I hate to say it - but in terms of software functionality (multiple via points and all that) Tom Tom is probably the only show in town.

Mitac was lucky in selecting iGO oem software to power its devices - it is still probably the best software on the market in terms of ease of use and routing options. But Mitac has squandered its advantage buy alienating, surely, the majority of its customer base.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..and by the sound of many posts on this forum, TT support is no better - so would you be cutting off your nose to spite your face by 'jumping ship'?

Is the grass always greener, or is that just an illusion?
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
..and by the sound of many posts on this forum, TT support is no better - so would you be cutting off your nose to spite your face by 'jumping ship'?

The customer support provided by the 2 companies used to be considered about the same - not very good.

The problem is that Mio seems to have completely withdrawn online update support and bug fix support for all but its current range of devices. It's very poor. Tom Tom hasn't done this.

I think the Mio devices - using Miomap 3.1 and 3.2 - have too many bugs which Mitac is aware of but just hasn't bothered to fix. There's been no software update for almost a year despite a number of reported and known bugs. That's ignoring the issue of firmware updates - some of the bugs such as the geographic specific lock up bug are probably connected with firmware problems.

The tim synch problem - requiring manual adjustment of the Windows time settings was the final straw for me. Mio is apparently aware of the problem but unable (unwilling) to fix it via a software update. Its advice is to disable the GPS time synch option.

I needed to reinstall Miomap 3.2 from scratch a short while ago and it was lucky, for me, that I had made a backup of the 3.2 files before I reinstalled 3.1. There is still no 3.2 version available via the online updater. Add a botched recent update (Miomap 3.3. was somehow made available for incompatible devices) and some people, who don't have their original install disk, are probably facing the scenario of device fubar.

The only way Mio could have fallen short of Tom Tom was to offer no update or support service at all. They've actually managed to do that. Impressive.

I'm not saying, in terms of hardware specs or software, that Tom Tom devices are better (I don't think they are). But it isn't possible to justify buying from a company that doesn't provide even basic customer service.

I notice that Mio has managed to implement a system to manage expired speed camera subscriptions to its benefit. It can get some things right.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:

Agree 100%. Mitac's support has been lousy but are the others any better?
There is a broad range of GPS units and they all have good and bad points. It's a very personal choice and all depends exactly what you want. Personally I wouldn't consider an unit that doesn't have directional camera alerts - for others that wouldn't be important.

Sal
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:
Personally I wouldn't consider an unit that doesn't have directional camera alerts - for others that wouldn't be important.

Providing that you have an accurate direction database, which of course you do, if you use the PGPSW database Very Happy
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any other?
GPSBear
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retty wrote:
GPSBear wrote:

This is, I suspect, running a bit close to the margins of what the moderators will allow.

I did experiment with iGO which is basically identical to Miomap 3.3 in June/July last year. It works well and is better than the Miomap software in terms of update and bug fix support.

I won't say anymore than that other than that *if* you can obtain a licensed version of iGO My Way for PNA then it is the way to go. It also provides for TMC reception in the US - Mio products do not unless you buy an extra license which, by the way, is no longer available for purchase for CX10 and earlier products!

So I assume that it is next to impossible to get a licensed version of iGO My Way for PNA? Their web site seems only to have for PDA/Win mobile. Whereas the 710 is running win ce. I am quite happy to pay IGO I just want something that is supported.

BTW I had to back out the German map that the 3.3 upgrade installed. Anywhere in Northern Germany would crash the whole thing. Put back the 3.2 map from the CD and all is well.
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPSBear wrote:
Retty wrote:
GPSBear wrote:

So I assume that it is next to impossible to get a licensed version of iGO My Way for PNA? Their web site seems only to have for PDA/Win mobile. Whereas the 710 is running win ce. I am quite happy to pay IGO I just want something that is supported.

BTW I had to back out the German map that the 3.3 upgrade installed. Anywhere in Northern Germany would crash the whole thing. Put back the 3.2 map from the CD and all is well.

It's not available for PNA at present - and I don't think there are any plans to make it so. There probably isn't a big market for it but then again it would mean making hardly any significant modifications to the install files (isn't that the whole point of Windows and portability?)

The advantage of iGO is that it is regularly updated - the recent versions fix some serious bugs present in Miomap 3.2 (TMC direction Im told and some geographical lock ups (although this may depend upon firmware)). As said previously with a capable device it also provides a TMC license for use in the US. This is the big pull.

Miomap 3.3 is an oem version of iGO My Way 2006+. Mio hasn't rolled out an oem version of My Way to users of non widescreen devices and so we're a bit stuck for bug fixes and software updates. I though that an update was on its way a number of months ago but it didn't happen.
ticklepin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Mio seem to have got the C710 updater going.
Yesterday (Tuesday) afternoon, after having had to run since 2nd January with the May 2006 default disc installation (No TMC currently), I was rewarded by the promise of 140 odd files!
Innumerable stalls and restarts later the device finally completed itself to v3.3 Sep 5 2007 sometime during the night. The U.K. map is 2006.01+

Now I’m blessed with the ‘greying out keyboard’ and new voices, though to my ears Thomas continues to have the best diction.
I have not yet made a journey of any distance so I there may be other differences of which I’m not aware.
TMC is restored with some augmentation. The direction of obstruction is indicated in the Traffic Events list by double chevron marks and on the maps the affected stretch of road seem to be highlighted (in in my case blue). I have also seen occasional additional icons on the Traffic Events list but whether this is supposed to happen I don’t know, as I’m unable to find any updated documentation.
The TMC also seems a bit more delicate than it was. It seems that if the aerial is disconnected before switching the unit off the scanning and testing function becomes locked and fails to look for the transmitter.
This was corrected by a soft reset.
Why oh why couldn’t Mio just tell us what was happening?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine still can't find any updates (MM 3.2 sept 06). I even tried a 'clean reinstall' to see if it was any of the mods that I have done, but still no joy.
What's going on MIO???
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ticklepin wrote:
Well, Mio seem to have got the C710 updater going.
Yesterday (Tuesday) afternoon, after having had to run since 2nd January with the May 2006 default disc installation (No TMC currently), I was rewarded by the promise of 140 odd files!
Innumerable stalls and restarts later the device finally completed itself to v3.3 Sep 5 2007 sometime during the night. The U.K. map is 2006.01+

Now I’m blessed with the ‘greying out keyboard’ and new voices, though to my ears Thomas continues to have the best diction.
I have not yet made a journey of any distance so I there may be other differences of which I’m not aware.
TMC is restored with some augmentation. The direction of obstruction is indicated in the Traffic Events list by double chevron marks and on the maps the affected stretch of road seem to be highlighted (in in my case blue). I have also seen occasional additional icons on the Traffic Events list but whether this is supposed to happen I don’t know, as I’m unable to find any updated documentation.
The TMC also seems a bit more delicate than it was. It seems that if the aerial is disconnected before switching the unit off the scanning and testing function becomes locked and fails to look for the transmitter.
This was corrected by a soft reset.
Why oh why couldn’t Mio just tell us what was happening?

I'm not even going to bother trying - why risk wrecking a kind of satisfactory install of Miomap 3.2 for something that probably isn't even designed to run on the C710. For me the September 2007 date stamp is a give away - this "update" looks as if it is simply the widescreen release hacked for older CX10 devices.

Interestingly the iGO My Way PDA software also has the same problem detecting the TMC device following power off - a soft reset is needed and the symptoms are a locked testing search on a particular frequency.

There are some new icons in Miomap 3.2 but they appear very rarely. I've seen a rain icon (once) and there are probably others too. Maybe this depends on the iTIS transmissions - is it possible that the current poor weather has resulted in extra weather data being transmitted?
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Mine still can't find any updates (MM 3.2 sept 06). I even tried a 'clean reinstall' to see if it was any of the mods that I have done, but still no joy.
What's going on MIO???

Just out of curiosity I took a look and can't find any updates either.

It's a shambles. I would actively encourage and warn people not to buy a Mio device.
GPSBear
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip re TMC and soft reset. I just did a soft reset on mine and it is now searching - indoors, so nothing plugged in. I do tend to pull the plugs out of the unit before I switch it off - I shall reverse that in future.
GPSBear
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been playing a bit more with TMC and, on mine at least:

1) It will *always lock up if put into standby with nothing plugged in - even if you *never* had anything plugged in.

2) Simply quiting and restarting Miomap will bring it back to life - until it goes into standby see 1)
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPSBear wrote:
Been playing a bit more with TMC and, on mine at least:

1) It will *always lock up if put into standby with nothing plugged in - even if you *never* had anything plugged in.

2) Simply quiting and restarting Miomap will bring it back to life - until it goes into standby see 1)

Yes, the same as iGO My Way. The 3.3 software isn't automatically polling the port to which the TMC device is connected (assuming it's the same "problem" as with the My Way PDA software). The PDA software has an option to poll the relevant port so that you don't have to reset the device.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: