Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Manually Entering Coordinates
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Manually Entering Coordinates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shoab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Manually Entering Coordinates Reply with quote

Hi all

I am new to this site and have had a Garmin etrex vista Cx for several months. I thought that I was getting quite fluent with it... until this weekend. I am in the process of changing a Tv aerial and wanted to be a bit flash and use my garmin to lign up the aerial with the transmitter (Sandy Heath in Bedfordshire) ! I googled the transmitter and got the GPS coordinates for it they are GPS: 52.1298,-0.242475. I have tried various methods of getting these coordinates into my garmin but cannot get anywhere near where the transmitter is... I know the general location from google maps !

My settings are:

Position format hddd.mm.mmm

Map datum WGS 84

No matter how I try I get to within 10 miles or way out ! If I point to Sandy town itself I get N 52.07.746 W 000.17.509 on my map screen as its location it is somewhere close to the transmitter I know so shouldnt be far out.

Can anyone advise me on what I am doing wrong or am I totally confused ?

PS I also got the following figures from Google maps which show two set of numbers !

52.129800, -0.242475‎

- - Placement on map is approximate
+52° 7' 47.28", -0° 14' 32.91"

regards

Graham
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome.

Quote:
Position format hddd.mm.mmm

Can you try to change the format to hddd.ddddd ?

I can enter co-ordinates on my nuvi 760. Setting it to hddd.mm.mmm and entering the figures you quote messes things up. Changing to hddd.ddddd puts the location 4-5 miles East of Sandy and 2 miles west of Potton.
missing_user

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
GPS: 52.1298,-0.242475

Should you not enter the details as:-
N52.12980 W0.24247
2 miles from Sandy
1 mile from Potton

However, the exact location from Google satelite view is:-
N52.13019511111537 W0.24145781993865967
N52.13019 W0.24146

Last edited by missing_user on Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:17 pm; edited 3 times in total
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am of course assuming you can change the format you enter the co-ordinates into the unit.

From Google Earth the location of the transmitter is

In Degrees, Minutes, Seconds
52° 7'48.60"N
0°14'30.35"W

In Degrees Decimal Minutes
52° 7.820'N
0° 14.496'W

if either of those conversions help.

Additional: Looks like strumble is the one with the answer. Had a weekend in The Lakes trying to get my head round the co-ordinates business. Thought I'd done quite well over the weekend but something seems to have become unravelled on the way home..... Crying or Very sad
shoab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tHi all

Thanks for the replies !

I can indeed change the formay and I will try that and the other methods. The transmitter is 2 miles from Sandy 1 mile from Potton so that shows that you have got it right I will do that now and see if i get the same location now ! Smile

Regards

Graham
shoab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Strumble

Putting the coordinates in as you suggest "Should you not enter the details as:- N52.12980 W0.24247" Put the icon on map view as North of Bedford between the A1 and A6 which is north and west of the transmitter position !

Paulb2005

Changing the format and entering as N 52.01298, W 002.42.475, puts me in Wales ! Embarassed putting W 000.24.247 puts me North of Hitchin West of Shefford !

I still must be doing something wrong !

Regards

Graham
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Changing the format and entering as N 52.01298, W 002.42.475, puts me in Wales ! putting W 000.24.247 puts me North of Hitchin West of Shefford !

What did you change the format to?

The format i suggested (hddd.ddddd) should have worked with your original co-ords of 52.1298,-0.242475. Try that setting and those co-ords. Although it's not a Geo-Sat-Nav that format and those co-ords work both with Google Earth and my Nuvi 760.

You must set the device for a format and then enter the co-ords in that format. I feel you are using a mis-matched format each time you enter the co-ords.
shoab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paulb2005

Sorry but I just checked my format and I had not set it as you said I must have knocked it back to another format... Embarassed

Changing to hddd.ddddd and inputting the figures gets me really close if not on it ! However I can only put in 24247 and not the last figure (5) but this gets me there or there abouts !

For info I have topo GB v2, Oct 2007 loaded on my Garmin. I know I am near to the transmitter as I can see the waypoint now just North of Sandy Lane and West of potton which is about right

Is there a clear explanation somewhere on coordinate formats I can read as this would seem to be what I need to get my head around ie what the formats mean and why they are in different configurations .... a recommended book would be good ? Obviously I need to understand where the decimals go when entering the data !

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

Regards

Graham
shoab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Apologies also to Strumble.......... it now works as you said Embarassed .... must get my head around the number formats though !!!

Regards

Graham
missing_user

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you put my N52.12980 W0.24247 into Google Satelite view?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=N52.13019+W0.24146&ie=UTF8&t=k&z=16&iwloc=addr
shoab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strumble

I have now... and it places the arrow about 50 yards ? from the transmitter mast so i think that, that, is near enough. I still need to understand the coordinate formats though and could do with some light reading !! If you know of any let me know ?

My concern is that if someone gives me coordinates in the future I may get it badly wrong again ....

Thanks again

Graham
missing_user

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I was a little tooooo accurate, as the location I gave should be at the base of the mast!!!!!!!! Very Happy

Here is what I see from the link I gave above.

It is easier to learn about the locations on the PC. Have you Mapsource on the PC?
shoab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Strumble

Yes I have mapsource on the PC.

I also invested in GB topo which I have downloded to the Garmin and I have Memory Map South England on the PC too ! Is there a way of learning about coordinates through Mapsource then ?

Regards

Graham
missing_user

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just go to Mapsource on the PC.
EDIT-Preferences-Position
and play with the the main four options for the UK there - see the different formats.

The quickest way to input a new location on my units is to make a Waypoint wherever I am, and then change the co-ordinates to suit the new entry you wish to make. That way you will alway remember the format.

Make sure that unit and PC are using the same format!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: