Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How do I transfer data to a larger SD card?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I transfer data to a larger SD card?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spoons42
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: How do I transfer data to a larger SD card? Reply with quote

Hello All,
Dennis,and Andy, thanks for your previous advice.I have now decided on a new approach.
I have been trawling the forums,but cannot find the answers,please don`t be too harsh if I have missed them Embarassed

I want to install the seamless `map of Western Europe` from a TomTom DVD on to a blank 2gb SD card (I have a Go 510).
Also transfer voices,Postcodes, POI`s etc. from my original 512 mb card, but not the `gb-plus-major-roads-of WE`,although I understand I will need to move some files from within this folder (map-cfg).
I have backed up my original SD card on to the PC (not using Home)
Do put the new blank SD card in th TomTom,and install home onto it,or transfer from my back-up?
Could one (or more) of you very knowledgeable people out there please guide me through this daunting operation.
I am also concerned that the product code card is only valid for one activation,presumably,if I make a mistake,all is lost.
Huge Thanks in advance.
Colin
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, you don't need to install Home onto any SD card. It's meant ONLY for the PC (they do put some files on the cards now to autorun Home when you plug the TT into a computr, but that's not needed here).

All you need to do is:
1. Using Windows Explorer, make a staight copy of your old card onto the new one, either by using the TT slot and a card reader, or by just copying everything to the PC and then back to the new card.

2. Using the new card, boot up the TomTom and check everything works as normal.

3.Go back to Windows Explorer and delete the entire map folder ("GB_plus..."etc in your case) from the new card.

4. Copy the entire map folder from the DVD to the card.

5. That should work. Boot up the TT and try it. You DON'T need to copy anything from your old map folder for it to work (you mentioned "map.cfg" - see below)

(All of the above is also in the TomTom FAQs on this forum Wink http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=50045 See #8)

6. Once it's working, the only thing you won't have, are any POI files you added yourself and your Favourites/Home location etc.
To copy those across, and to save me writing it out again, have a look at the walk through I did on another forum
HERE
jrwc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to find the instruction here for copying from TT memory to card. I've got the ONE XL Europe and wanted to have everything on a 2GB card for safety and backup - I'm hoping to be able to use the card and avoid modifying the data on the TT Internal "just in case".

However: I tried to use my card reader to copy from my computer copy but the card could not be read. It's now copying to the card inserted in the TT. Any suggestions why the card reader would not recognize the new card?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How "old fashioned" is your card reader? The guy who built my PC installed an internal card reader with a USB socket also - I discovered that the USB is 1.1, not 2. When I got a new 8GB SD card recently, the internal reader wouldn't read it. Nor would an external USB 1.1 reader.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
jrwc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a few years old, so probably can't read a 2GB card, though I do think it should be USB2
spoons42
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,
Many thanks for a very comprehensive answer Very Happy

I have looked at the links you sugested,and all the gen I need looks to be there.
Sorry I couldn`t find them,this is such a big site with thousands of pages!

One thing I forgot to mention - the DVD I have also has individual maps on it -- eg Alps,Germany plus major roads ,Italy,Spain etc..
Is there any advantage in installing the seamless Western Europe Map ,or seperate maps?
I am thinking in a couple of years time,I might want to update the GB map to show new roads etc.
Thanks again guys
Colin
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obvious advantage to a single "seamless" map is that you can navigate in one go across borders, with single maps you have to navigate to a border, switch maps and start again.

Advantage to single maps is they take up a lot less room if you are short on storage space.

Another advantage to a single map was that a "search" for an address was a lot quicker, as it didn't have to search the entire continent. That seems to have been solved with v7 software though, as there is now a little country flag beside the search box and it only searches in the selected region.

Finally, as I don't think TT have produced a DVD with all the individual countries on for some time, the maps might be quite old now. Any idea what version number they are? (Once you have installed one, you can read the map version by a few screen taps (see Dennis' photos in THIS POST))
spoons42
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy,
I haven`t installed any maps yet,but looking at the DVD,the year 2006 is printed a couple of times, eg. "This product includes mapping data licensed from Ordnance Survey Crown copyright and/or database right 2006."
So Yes! it does seem a bit old,I can at least get some experience at loading maps etc.!!
Will report how I get on
Thanks Again
Colin
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spoons42 wrote:

"This product includes mapping data licensed from Ordnance Survey Crown copyright and/or database right 2006."

That's odd, I didn't think TomTom or Tele Atlas (who normally supply TomTom's mapping) had anything to do with Ordnance Survey. But then I've never SEEN a map on anything other than a TT sd card or a download, so never looked at any paperwork.

.....And sure enough, if I tap the signal bars and then tap the software version box to get to the info page on my Go, if I go to "Copyright" there's "(c) Ordnance Survey", right below "(c) Tele Atlas".
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That copyright OS will be for the postcode data if anything I would expect - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't we mention this once before? I thought the Royal Mail owned the postcodes data.
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=57366
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Didn't we mention this once before?
More than once to be honest, but the bit I remembered was:
Oldboy wrote:
Andy_P2002 wrote:
... because the postcodes are actually the "intellectual property" of the Post Office.
Sorry to correct you Andy, but the data as stored in a Postcode POI is actually from, and the IP of, Ordnance Survey.

So its down to true ownership Post Office vs OS but who actually converted the postcodes to Lat/ Long - and who would you trust to get it right between the two? - Mike
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Post Office created the Postcode system to help with their delivery 'walks'.

The OS then used the information of a series of addresses, to produce a lat/long to match a Postcode.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
spoons42
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,I`ve failed at the first hurdle!!

Made a copy of my SD card to the PC.
Have just transferred it to my new bigger SD card.
Popped the card into TomTom,pressed the ON button - My custom splash screen appears for about 10 seconds,then the tom tom turns itself off.
I have run the Clear Flash tool with no luck.
Help Please
Colin
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, stick the original card in to check it still works with the known card.
Then wipe/format the new card and copy it across again. This time make 200% sure you remove the card "properly" - click the icon at the bottom right of your PC's system tray "Safely Remove Hardware", then choose the drive letter of the new card to remove.
Then try running it in the TT again. Hopefully you bought a reasonable speed SD card?

I can't help wondering (as did Andy) about this DVD - I'm pretty sure the last I heard of were older than the maps which came with the 510 and somebody (Halfords?) was flogging them off cheap to unsuspecting 42 year old spoons. Very Happy They got onto e-bay too.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: