Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mapsource and loading SMC UK Topo Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mapsource and loading SMC UK Topo Maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dizzley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Mapsource and loading SMC UK Topo Maps Reply with quote

Hi all. I'm a new purchaser of the Nuvi 310 from Amazon at 158.00 - which I still can't believe!

It's turning out to be a whole barrel of fun and I love it.

I've been hunting round for toys to load onto it and I have the Speed Cameras POIs (thanks PocketGPSWorld) etc.

I was interested in the topological maps provided by Scottish Mountaineering Club.

This raises the following questions -
  1. Can I get hold of Mapsource software?
  2. Is that the way to upload third party maps anyway?
  3. Am I causing myself more fun or more hassle? Wink
I'd be interested in any other Nuvi toys this forum might recommend too.

Cheers,
Pete
Dizzley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - Success! Laughing

I had no problem loading the SMC Topo Maps and other supplemental maps onto my Nuvi 310.

Method
  1. Download the contour maps from SMC.org.uk (They ask that you download only the files you need, to conserve their bandwidth).
  2. Download the img2gpx program from http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mdipol/img2gps
  3. Install the program according to the instructions.
  4. Unzip into a single directory the maps you require loading. If you have other IMG files, e.g. other overlays, they must all be added to the same folder so they can be combined into a single GMAPSUPP.IMG file.
  5. Connect the Nuvi to the USB port.
  6. If it exists, back up the GMAPSUPP.IMG file from the \Garmin directory on the Nuvi onto your PC.
  7. Run img2gpx.
  8. Click the "Load Folder" button and, when prompted to choose an input folder, navigate to the directory where you put the IMG files.
  9. Select all or some files as required.
  10. Select "File/folder" and also "Create file instead of upload" options.
  11. Click the "Create File" button.
  12. When asked to select an output folder, navigate to the \Garmin folder on your Nuvi (my Nuvi appears as the G drive) and click OK.
  13. The conversion will take place. After some seconds you should get confirmation that file GMAPSUPP.IMG was created in the \Garmin directory.
  14. Disconnect the Nuvi in a safe fashion.
  15. The contours are loaded as a transparent overlay. They should be visible when the Nuvi restarts.
This worked for me anyway. 8O

Cheers,
Pete
deleted_user
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone had success with this on a Nuvi 660?

I've followed the instructions here for a 660 and a 350, it works on the 350, but not the newer 660.

There is an excellent guide here: http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?topic=3300.0

Let me know if you've had success with this on the Nuvi 660.

Adrian
Seirrah80
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in adding these maps to my Nuvi 250.

I can't get hold of MapSource so I am going to try to use the same method as you've explained, thanks Smile

Silly question, but I don't need an SD card for this do I?

Can I remove the SMC maps from the unit/card with the same software?

And just wondering, is the map too cluttered to have road and SMC maps always on at the same time?
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdrianKing wrote:
Has anyone had success with this on a Nuvi 660?
Let me know if you've had success with this on the Nuvi 660.
Adrian

Yes - I loaded the SMC contour maps onto my 660 shortly after I got it (about a year ago). They displayed OK but I have since removed them.

(Some time passes... Laughing )

I've just gone and downloaded the latest versions of everything and I can confirm that the method outlined in the note by Dizzley works.

Note that I have to use the 2D mapping to see contours on my 660. In 3D mode all you get are occasional spot heights - not all that useful! Also you need to be zoomed in to 0.5mile scale or closer in order to see the contour lines in 2D.

One other thing I have discovered. Including the UK trigpoints/UK summits (which would be fairly useful) seems to corrupt things - it doesn't draw any contours but everything else works.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slight correction to post above.

You can use any zoom level in 2D - it's just that aove the 0.5 mile mark it only displays the 50m contours. I just happen to be sat in a low lying area at present!

I also found this site that has Trig points and summits that appear to work as replacements for the ones in the SMC list.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seirrah80 wrote:
I'm interested in adding these maps to my Nuvi 250.

I can't get hold of MapSource so I am going to try to use the same method as you've explained, thanks Smile

Silly question, but I don't need an SD card for this do I?

Can I remove the SMC maps from the unit/card with the same software?

And just wondering, is the map too cluttered to have road and SMC maps always on at the same time?

You don't need a SD card. The process described creates a single file GMAPSUPP.IMG which you copy to your nuvi device, placing it in the Garmin folder. To permanently remove the info - delete this file. To temp disable under the Settings of your nuvi Show Map and then Map Info - you should be able to deselect the mapping you don't want displayed.

Before you do anything like this - please backup your nuvi fully - just in case you have momentary finger trouble!

The maps aren't too cluttered as you tend to drive at reasonably high scale settings. And as I discovered (see above) at certain display scales it reduces the detail - as do most GARMIN maps. Looking at the Peak District certainly gives you an impression of the sort of hills you are going to be driving on!

There are some 'holes' in the contour information - so areas appear to be empty - the SMC site has details of the missing areas.
deleted_user
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Phil, but I've tried without success Sad
I've followed Dizzley's instructions to the letter using img2gps, and although the 660 shows that the maps are installed on the Map Info screen, I get nothing, even when zoomed in to the maximum.

Its not that important, but I thought it would make the maps more interesting for my passengers.

I do have the Garmin UK Topo maps, but as I use these on an etrex legend Cx, and am loking to upgrade shortly, I don't really want to use my second map unlock code on the Nuvi.

Thanks for investigating for me though.

Adrian

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: