Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map Colours
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map Colours
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjabse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Map Colours Reply with quote

I've just upgraded from a Go500 to a Go720.
I used Suntime on my 500 which worked perfectly and I had my day and night colours set to Belgica and Antartica respectively.
I initially installed Suntime on the 720 and set it up with the same map colours then I read somewhere on here of someone who used Belgica all the time, but with lower brightness at night, which sounds to me like a good idea. I also read that Suntime wasn't necessary on the 720 so removed it.
Now I set both map colours to Belgica with 80% brightness daytime and 5% brightness night-time and it accepts those settings. However next time I switch on the 720 at night it reverts back to Antartica. Crying or Very sad
Any ideas what is causing this ?
I have both 'Turn brightness down when dark' and 'Switch to night view when dark' ticked in the brightness settings.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know when you find out! I have exactly the same except I haven't ticked to use night colours at night, just dimmer, and I use 100% and 10%. I get really annoyed that it won't keep Belgica, not least because I think Antarctica is rubbish. I've just become resigned to being a dumbo, because no matter what I do, it won't keep Belgica for night colour - I have to change it all over again after every time I connect to PC (NOTE it's only after connecting to PC with me, not every switch on - if I don't connect to PC, it stays Belgica). That's a megga annoyance with three TomToms to do it for. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like it could be another case of a config file being set to 'read only'. (Several reports of this being the cause of POI warning settings not being retained) In that case it is "MapSettings.cfg" in the map folder. I've no idea if this is there the map colour preferences are stored, but it sounds likely.
Check the file and folder attributes with Windows Explorer.
Otherwise you could try a "return to factory defaults".

Incidentally, I've always used a dimmed version of the day colours rather than a night colour, even from the early days of the Go300.

I use a brilliant colour scheme called GB_New. You can get it from the Colour Scheme Editor Library, and they also have schemes that match the OS Maps colours or Google Maps.
Might be worth trying one just to see if it stops resetting it, if you've got a custom scheme installed.

My 720 switches over fine, but possibly a BIT early in the evening for my liking. No way to adjust it though....
rjabse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
In that case it is "MapSettings.cfg" in the map folder.

I've just checked the above and 'read-only' is not checked, so this is presumably unrelated to the earlier POI problem.

I may try a 'return to factory defaults' but does this just alter settings etc back to 'as new' ? It won't wipe out all my updates, mapshare uploads and downloads etc will it ?

DennisN - I'm somewhat re-assured to hear that I'm not the only one with this problem. I used Antartica at night for years so not a major problem for me, though I find it very annoying that the 720 isn't doing what I tell it to.
henryg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would hazard a guess that you connected to TTHome at some point. TT have confirmed to me that it is a bug. It's a real PITA having to reset it manually after using TTHome each time.
rjabse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

henryg wrote:
I would hazard a guess that you connected to TTHome at some point.

Yes there's no doubt, I have been on TomTom Home on numerous occasions recently but I hadn't made the connection between connecting to TTHome and the problem happening afterwards. Now you mention it, you're probably right. Come to think of it, since the 720 is new I don't think a day has passed that I haven't been on TTHome.

As the novelty of the new 720 wears off I will be on Home far less so if that is the problem I should have to reset the colours far less also.

You say that TT have confirmed to you that it is a bug. Was this recently ? Did they give any indication as to whether it would be fixed in an update soon ?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
I use a brilliant colour scheme called GB_New. You can get it from the Colour Scheme Editor Library, and they also have schemes that match the OS Maps colours or Google Maps.
Might be worth trying one just to see if it stops resetting it, if you've got a custom scheme installed.

MapSetting.cfg couldn't be read only - you couldn't change anything and save it (e.g. favourites etc).

However, learning from one of The Masters, I have done "thinking outside the box" (thanks Mike).
What we need is for Andy to tell us where the GB_New lives. We then look alongside it to find Antarctica and Beligica. We then MOVE Antarctica out into somewhere safe for restoration purposes, take a copy of Belgica and rename it Antarctica. That's what Aaaaaaard Northerners do.

YIKE!!! I just had a little look and discovered that my 720 #7 backup from yesterday is only half there!!

Right, having done a quick new backup of #7 (#6 and the 920 are both OK), I've searched and can't find Belgica or Antarctica on any of them, so my fiendish plan falls at the starting gate.

Right, Andy what do you do with that GB_New, please?

henryg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjabse wrote:
You say that TT have confirmed to you that it is a bug. Was this recently ? Did they give any indication as to whether it would be fixed in an update soon ?

A few weeks ago. The didn't say when it would be fixed.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GB_New.clr scheme and others can be downloaded via Home or from the Colour Scheme Editor website.

They are then copied into the \schemes directory of the TT. Now when you 'Change preferences' | 'Change map colours' | 'Advanced', one of the options is 'Plug-in scheme'. When you select this you are given the list of your custom schemes to choose from.

The 'built-in' schemes are tucked away somewhere but copies can be downloaded from the CSE site to play with as well.

My personal schemes has the roads the same but day/night backgrounds. I suspect I'm not getting similar problems as it doesn't switch automatically so can't help with that.

Hope you don't mind this coming from me and not Andy. Wink
Brodit ProClip mount
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
... where the GB_New lives.
http://www.colorschemeeditor.com/download.php?download=33

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you to EVERYONE - Of course I don't mind you joining in Gerry - open forum, the more the merrier - problems get solved that much quicker. Andy won't have seen this just yet, so you've saved me waiting up for him!

I find the GB-New as far as I can see is the same as Belgica. But I really liked the UK_OS and have put that on. Using the colour schemes appears to have solved the problem of reverting to default Antarctica on both 720 and 920. Thanks again.

rjabse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
But I really liked the UK_OS and have put that on. Using the colour schemes appears to have solved the problem of reverting to default Antarctica on both 720 and 920. Thanks again.

I too liked the look of the UK_OS and have also installed that.

What settings do you have for brightness tickboxes etc ?, and does it retain the correct map colours even after being connected to TT Home ?
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Of course I don't mind you joining in Gerry - open forum, the more the merrier

No probs, you just seemed to want "Andy" to deal with it. Laughing

rjabse wrote:
What settings do you have for brightness tickboxes etc ?

Mine is 40% and 10%. It's best to have a play in different light conditions as schemes and ambient light in different cars vary.

Meant to mention that the files are plain text so you can mix and match (or design from scratch) your own schemes if, for example, you'd prefer the motorway from a different scheme. I now use a mix of Belgica and Britannia for days then just changed the background colours to those used in scenic_night for the nighttime (using same colours for the roads). You can see the changes as you play if you use the editor.
Brodit ProClip mount
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GerryC wrote:
Meant to mention that the files are plain text so you can mix and match (or design from scratch) your own schemes

Wow!! How do all you smartypantses know all this stuff? Now I'm tempted to find out how to make my motorways the same blue as motorway roadsigns and Trunk roads green as their signs.

I wonder if you should have told me this? I've already broken five 720s without needing to do this stuff to them! Twisted Evil

PS, I'm on 100% and 10%.

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to play, Dennis, download the actual Editor (from the same link I had in my original post - did you miss that?)
It IS just a text file, but the editor gives you a nice front panel, and a sample map, that changes as you tweak, so you can see the effects of what you're doing.

Sorry I'm late, by the way! Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: