Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Origin Technologies
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Origin Technologies
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBQKing
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Origin Technologies Reply with quote

Hi

I understand Snooper have had problems with certain Syrius models "almost melting" in hot sunlight, and the Snooper Speed Camera database is nothing to write home about, so what are peoples thoughts on Origin Technologies products and their Origin360 database?

Thanks
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave have a talk with Nuttynurse his is HERE as he has been through all of these in his quest for the best.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
nuttynurse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reference GJF. BBQKING and I have already been in communication with regard to the Pogo. Your are right, I am on a quest to get the current best. Had I rushed out and bought the Syrius for instance I would also now be in melt down.
craigpenton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: Pogo Drive Review? Reply with quote

I too am very interested in the new Origin unit. I have been a user of their B2 camera detector for many years (which performed flawlessly) and recently purchased the Syrius. Boy was I dissapointed! Sad There were problems with the postcode side of things (both my home and work codes were missing!), the speaker was poor, the screen mediocre, the navigation element didn't seem as quick (to update location/direction) as TomTom, you couldn't set different volumes for navigation and alerts, the visual camera alert wasn't particularly eyecatching (IMO) .... the list goes on.

Anyway, ActiveGPS kindly honoured their 14 day return policy (very impressed with these guys btw) and refunded the Syrius.

Having looked at the info for the Pogo I they appear to have implemented practically all of the useful features of the B2 plus I confirmed with their technical guys that the two postcodes that were not on the Syrius *are* on the Pogo! Smile I should perhaps make it known that my primary interest in this unit is for speed cameras so my preference may not necessarily be yours.

Anyway, if anyone does find a decent review then *please* post details because this unit really could be the dogs!

Craig
BBQKing
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am waiting on one more question to be answered from the Pogostore reseller site, but I am probably going to purchase the PogoDrive this week. Once received, I'll let you know how I get on. Plus spreading the costs makes it an easier "pill" to swallow.
BBQKing
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I couldn't wait for the answer - the deed is done, I have purchased a PogoDrive. What a "mug" (ha ha).

I will run it alongside my TomTom Go 300 (and DriveSmart) and report back on my findings with the unit. I'm sure there are alot of people here that could do with review of this thing and how well it performs.

Fingers crossed people.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be very interested to hear your views, I was much impressed with their b2 when it first came out. Back then I rated their database as the best I'd seen so it will be interesting to see if they have maintained the quality.

I've approached Origin for a review sample of the Pogo Alert and Drive units.
nuttynurse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi craigpenton,
Thanks very much for your comments, its been very useful to have your experience with the B2 and the Syrius come to that. I was interested in the syrius for the same reasons I am interested in the Pogo, glad I didn't rush out and buy it now. Like you I am interested in the Speedcamera detection side of things, but for the sake of £100 might as well have the satnav feature of the Drive also. So unless yet another unit suddenly emerges with these two primary features that rival it this is the way I will be going also.

I already replied to BBQKING pm re his impulsive behaviour. Now I must await his hands on experience with impatience.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One cautionary note I would add to prospective purchasers of the combined Satnav/SCD's. I haved yet to see any that I could reccomend buying, those from Snooper and Road Angel have been dire with the navigation side being very poor and incomparable to the leading nav systems. Unless the additional clutter is an issue you would eb better getting seperate nav and SCD units IMHO.

The Pogo Drive may be better but until I've had one in for test I'd be very wary of spending that much when a TomTom could be had for much less. I am of course biased but when I compare commercial SCD's such as Road Angel and others with our database I've found very little in it. Even features such as directional alerts are now appearing on some platforms such as Mio.

Just my four penneth worth!
BBQKing
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well buying the Pogo over an interest-free 4 month period takes the sting out of the cost, and I have an interested buyer for my TomTom Go 300 which will also aleviate the cost again if I do enjoy the SatNav part of the PogoDrive. But if the worst did come to the worse, I'm sure I could return the unit for a refund. I've always got my Axim x51v with TT Navigator 6 to fall back on! Not only that I am still going to purchase a copy of Cheetah's Active Stealth cam detection software as well!! (Only £49 and all updates free). Excessive? Yes! Impulsive? Yes. But if I don't spend my money, the taxman will!
nuttynurse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't mention the tax man in front of me. It once took me 7 years to win my clincal appeal after they changed the pay structure for nurse's. Having won it and having been awarded my back pay for the 7 years, the tax man made me pay 40% tax on it by calculating back pay and the salary for that financial year which took me over £25,000. All the nights, weekends and bank holidays worked in that seven years and I was penalised as if I was a high income earner. Twisted Evil
BBQKing
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Nuttynurse - didn't mean to hit a raw nerve there. I have every sympathy with all the emergency services, particularly nursing and firemen!!

Mentioned tax from an sole trader point of view only.
nuttynurse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sympathy accepted. :D
BBQKing
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are most welcome!! :D

You may also be interested to know, PogoStore have been in contact with me to say that I should get the PogoDrive tomorrow!! Here's hoping for a speedy delivery. I can then test it out Wednesday on my trip into Tottenham.
nuttynurse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's quick. I stand a chance of hearing your views become going away, great. It will be interesting to hear how you find it bearing in mind Darren's comments. One reason I have been cautious and pondered abit is for the reasons he points out. Still as craigpenton and Darren's remarks re the Origin B2 stand it in good stead there every change this is the one to break the mold; and they do of course do the 'Alert'

Regards, Dave

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 1 of 18

Jump to: