Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Now my 720 is also showing my position around 200 yards off!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Now my 720 is also showing my position around 200 yards off!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Now my 720 is also showing my position around 200 yards off! Reply with quote

Further to the post of the last couple of days about a guy (and subsequently other people) having his 520 show him around 100 meters off...

See: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=64524

I have also had a similar weird and worrying thing happen to me just now...

I went out to take my partner off to work on nightshift.

Unlike any other time, I never actually switched my sat-nav on at the door, but rather, some 200 yards SW from my home, at the local corner shop, where she wanted some groceries.

Now I mention this, as curiously, or just coincidentally, the error I am about to describe on my sat-nav, happened to place me around 200 yards sw from where I actually was.

So maybe just coincidence, or maybe more to it, in terms of switching it on 200 yards sw of it's normal switch on point, and last know gps location.

Anyway, I digress perhaps, the long and the short of it is that for the entire journey taking her to work, the sat-nav was well out by around 200yards, with a net result, if you picture what this would lead to, of me constantly being off road all the time, sometimes in fields, other times in totally different streets heading the wrong way as a result.

(This being in very open roads, no obstructions, and no bad weather as such tonight)

During the journey, I tried a switch off and back on, but to no avail, as well as a Wireless mobile phone/PND downlaod of the latest GPS Quickfix file, as the other thread on this mentioned that some thought this might be the issue.

Both made no difference.

So after I dropped her off, I connected up my Nokia E51 and my external BT GPS unit, to see what that said on the matter.

And it had me right where I was meant to be.

Problem is, as I drove off, and around the roundabout to come back on myself, and thus head back home, the TomTom ALSO then corrected itself.

But I would almost swear that when I checked, my Nokia maps and ext. GPS had me in the CORRECT place, while my TT had me off. So the theory of it being a satellite issue as mentioned in the other thread, would not seem to be true, if this was the case.

Unfortunately, as I say, a quick run round the roundabout, and TomTom then worked from then on too, so it's not as if I had long to check to see if they differed.

It could also have been that as soon as I reached my 'previous position' after doubling back on myself, TomTom was able to compensate for the errors.

But whatever the case, after the previous thread about this, and now it happening to me, I am GENUINELY worried about the otherwise previous good reliability of my device.

This does not bode well, methinks, no matter what the reason.[/b]
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you recently updated the device with new Quick GPS fix data via Home? - this is an automatic process , if it downloads messed up data I would expect the nav unit to take longer to acquire a position fix, but some people on other web sites seem to be claiming the offset is due to this bad aGPS download - I never use it (as it offers no benefit IMHO) so I cannot comment other than on what I have read elsewhere) - Mike
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Have you recently updated the device with new Quick GPS fix data via Home? - this is an automatic process , if it downloads messed up data I would expect the nav unit to take longer to acquire a position fix, but some people on other web sites seem to be claiming the offset is due to this bad aGPS download - I never use it (as it offers no benefit IMHO) so I cannot comment other than on what I have read elsewhere) - Mike

That's the thing Mike,

It was working fine today, and it hasn't been docked in between, yet did this tonight.

So makes the previously mentioned QuickGPSFix possibility sound less likely.

Weird.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you making sure you are getting a good lock on 5 or 6 sats before moving off? I say this because you'd get similar results to what's happening if you have a lock on say 3 satellites or 4 and one goes over the horizon. All the time you are moving TT is playing catch up. Simply slowing down for a roundabout or stopping at traffic lights, or stopping to drop off or pick someone up, gives TT a chance to lock on properly and find it's position. E.G. Drivng along the Teign Valley in Devon, with a good lock on 6-7-8 sats, there are several places where suddenly all but two or three sats are lost, as a result TT shows the position as driving along the river. The first couple of times this happened I kept driving and my position was all over the place. I found my stopping for a minute or two and everything went back to normal.
Philgo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your car have an athermic heat-reflecting windscreen, a lot of Renaults do for instance.
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi to the last two posters...

Alas, signal strength was perfect - I was just 'perfectly off' by 200 yards *Laughing Out Loud*

I even tried "Doing a GPS Configure" just in case, as other posts suggested this. Again, the signal lock was solid.

In terms of my windscreen, no it's standard.

And as a footnote, in TWO YEARS of running CoPilot 6 previously on my pocket PC, I never ever once had anything like this happen. Either I had a fix, or I didn't (which given where I live, no tall buildings or covered in streets etc, was rare anyway).

And CoPilot used afar inferior chipset in it's external GPS.

I did notice that at around the time this happened however, my TomTom Traffic Plus service showed me as having High Wind symbols right across my ENTIRE screen at equally spaced distances - I assume a way of saying, it's very windy in general tonight.

So, who knows - just very strange.

Especially as Nokia Maps located fine using the same inferior CoPilot chipset GPS.

Ah well, I'll have to see how it goes from now.

Cheers all.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could still have been QuickGPS to blame. All QuickGPS does is speed up the process of acquiring almanac and ephemeris data tables.

If the data was corrupt then the issue you describe could occur and it is likely that a download direct from the satellites by your unit has resolved the issue.

I have had similar symptoms on various devices on rare occasions over the years (long before QuickGPS existed) and a reset resolved it as it forces new data to be downloaded.

QuickGPS can make matters worse as if one table is corrupt, everyone who uses QuickGPS might get the same erroneous data. This is much less likely when obtaining data in the normal manner from the satellite network directly.
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
It could still have been QuickGPS to blame. All QuickGPS does is speed up the process of acquiring almanac and ephemeris data tables.

If the data was corrupt then the issue you describe could occur and it is likely that a download direct from the satellites by your unit has resolved the issue.

I have had similar symptoms on various devices on rare occasions over the years (long before QuickGPS existed) and a reset resolved it as it forces new data to be downloaded.

QuickGPS can make matters worse as if one table is corrupt, everyone who uses QuickGPS might get the same erroneous data. This is much less likely when obtaining data in the normal manner from the satellite network directly.

I don't understand how it all works enough to disagree with that view *Laughing Out Loud*

In fact, it is probably fairly sound, given that one thing my OTHER Navigation devices DO NOT have, is a QuickFix data in this manner.

So the one single uncommon variable to TT, is that it is the only one that uses this option.

So maybe you are right Darren.

I just don't understand how it was working ok in the afternoon, but NOT in the evening, without any download in between - unless the way it works is to do with times etc - that might explain it.

For TT to do this TWICE in two days to people is alarming though if so - there should also be some way of then allowing us to tell it NOT to use the QuickGPS data? I mean other than a reset which would lose all my data and POI's etc I assume?

Thanks for the info though Darren, cheers.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadamehr wrote:
I just don't understand how it was working ok in the afternoon, but NOT in the evening, without any download in between - unless the way it works is to do with times etc - that might explain it.

That is exactly what the tables do, they tell the device what SV's (Satellite Vehicles) it can expect to see in view at a particular time. Without this data it has to download the table which takes a minute or two before it knows which SV's to search for. So the corruption may have been for a later part of the day or a particular SV which it 'expected' to see at that time but couldn't.

An article I wrote some years back explaining the process may help explain what Alamanac and Ephmemeris data is, see here/
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grumpy head on.... couldn't this have been added onto the end of the existing topic shadamehr? Confused
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Grumpy head on.... couldn't this have been added onto the end of the existing topic shadamehr? Confused

The very first thing I did was consider whether to add to existing, or create anew - hence my link to the other thread to demonstrate I was already aware there was another thread similar.

And my considered opinion was that as it was a new day, and a new case, a new thread might be better, rather than hijacking someone's else's thread.

In hindsight, it is still a matter of opinion as to which route was the best way to go, so you might be right.

Especially if this issue is going to persist for users.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the new TTHome version .2283 DOES show the correct map version and build number. Does for me, anyway.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
Actually, the new TTHome version .2283 DOES show the correct map version and build number. Does for me, anyway.

Map maybe, but not much else! For me:
Home says:
App 7.221 (8572/040301), OS:1000, GPS v1.21, Boot 1.0012, Map v715.1710
Device says:
App 7.221 (8572/071121), OS:2318, GPS v1.21, Boot 5.4106, Map v715.1710
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
dhn wrote:

Map maybe, but not much else! For me:
Home says:
App 7.221 (8572/040301), OS:1000, GPS v1.21, Boot 1.0012, Map v715.1710
Device says:
App 7.221 (8572/071121), OS:2318, GPS v1.21, Boot 5.4106, Map v715.1710

No argument, Andy......

But, it seems to me the most common question people wonder about is what map and build number is installed. So, I guess showing accurate values for that is a small step. I'm not even sure I remember anybody having issues with disparate boot values, etc.

However, as I said, your point is taken.
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ONLY things home show correct for me, is app and map.

Everything else is always different in home, than for real on the device.

The latest version makes no difference - it STILL also shows the BOOT version as wrong.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: