Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - which chipset?? and any recommendations
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

which chipset?? and any recommendations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Titch1644
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: which chipset?? and any recommendations Reply with quote

hi ive bee readig reviews and forums for a while and now i think its time to take the plunge

i have a 2210 and tomtom2 navigator now i need the gps unit

what is confusing is this i have read there are 2 diff chipsets,

sirf/ sirf2 and cant remember other
which is better? or is there no diff really
i want to mainly use in the car but like the fact i could take it out on walks etc so i have stayed away from wired versions here is my current shortlist, please advise and if you could suppliers where i could get from at best prices thanks

Rikaline GPS-6031-X7 because of battery life, but i cant find a decent review on it

Bluetooth Slipper looks impressive

or even the tiny

Fortuna Clip-On

hope i havent asked too much i just want first hand experience as ive read the rievews at least twice each and my head hurts

hope to read some nice replies soon

Titch

the gps virgin
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SiRF family of chipsets is evolving since quite a while. SiRF II is the successor to SiRF, and just recently the company announced a new chipset SiRF III. So, generally speaking, take the newest you can get. (III isn't yet available, vaporware for now). For usage outdoors make sure the SiRF II chipset is LP - low power.

There's a special feature called XTrac - this one is good for heavy foliage and city canyouns, but more for walking than for street navigation. Chose a receiver wher XT can be switched on and off so you get the best of both.. The X7 seems to have this, so that's ok. The other alternative would indeed be the Haicom slipper and a corresponding Haicom CF card (303s). But that may be more expensive.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: