Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom Traffic 520 v 510
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom Traffic 520 v 510

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonfieldsend
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom Traffic 520 v 510 Reply with quote

I have been using the traffic feature on my Tom Tom 510 for about 6 months now, using the traffic receiver rather than GPRS. I've found the data to be pretty good but just like plenty of other people found the ability to receive data variable. It's generally good in central London but once I get out into the depths of Essex reception dies. Has anyone here tried one of the new models such as the 520 or 720 and found they are getting better reception???
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As your receiver is around 6 months old it will not be the latest type, look at the device and you should find a small plastic label near the connector with a part number printed on it, if it doesn't end with the digits .013 then it is not the latest.

This newer receiver is considerably better in terms of reception, if you want the newer unit log a call with TomTom Support and explain you are far from happy with the performance of the existing receiver you have.

They are offering a replacement free of charge to those that ask for it tel 0845 161 0009

To check the different versions of receiver available see my post Here it shows three different types that have been sold over the last 15 months or so - Mike
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you still running v6 software?

If so, don't upgrade to v7 without making a full backup first.

Indications are that the v7 software doesn't work too well with the RDS-TMC - you either get no delay info, or every delay is 1 minute!

Andy
jonfieldsend
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for your help. I've got myself a 4V00.013 and have found it to be a lot better than the older 4V00.000 TMC receiver I had. I've been doing some benchmark tests at home and the newer one gets a signal a lot more reliably and quicker than the old one. The new receiver got a signal in 10/10 times in under 20seconds and the slowest time was 19.8s. I measured this as being the time taken from turning on the 510 I was testing it on to the time I got a green circle in the top right of the screen.

When I tried the older receiver out of 6 trials the quickest time this took was 33s but in the final test I gave up after five minutes.

So the new receiver is working so much better. If only the 520 had software on it that could cope with it, but that's a topic for another forum.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: