Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie questions eTrex Vista
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie questions eTrex Vista

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
burtonian
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Newbie questions eTrex Vista Reply with quote

I'm seriously considering the eTrex Vista HCX, for use on the hills and also on a bike - but I have a few questions.

1. I know I'll need Memory Map 1:25000 for detailed hill route planning, but apart from the main unit and original supplied accessories, what else do I need to get up and running?

2. Does the Topo map give me sufficient detail to enable me to use the Vista as a simple in-car routing device or would I be better off getting the City Navigator software?

3. Can the Vista be used as a camera warning device if I subscribe to the PGPSW camera location database?

Many thanks in advance for the support and experience of those who've been through the learning curve already Smile

Tony

Last edited by burtonian on Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

title edited to add device name to title

MaFt
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a word of caution.

You won't be able to use MemoryMap directly on your Vista - only the GARMIN UK TOPO will display on this (and any other GARMIN mapping GPS). The TOPO product lacks some information and is generally held to be insufficient for walking the 'wilds' of the UK. MemoryMap is designed to run on a PC and PDA. You can use it to create waypoints and routes (connected waypoints) to download to your Vista. This is quite a common way to use this software.

The base map supplied with the Vista will have some minimal routing (I'm not sure what level or road mapping is supplied with the base map - but it won't be fantastic). You would need to buy City Navigator Europe NT to get street level routing - not a cheap option. The Garmin Topo map does not have any routing capabilities (it doesn't even have all the footpaths marked for the UK).

I don't believe the Vista will act as a practical camera warning device although you could probably load parts of the camera database onto it and have icons to tell you where the cameras are.

Perhaps you should reconsider some alternatives.

It may be cheaper to buy separate devices. A car navigation system and a general purpose GPS for walking/biking. It is just about possible to buy a decent car navigation system for the same price as City Navigator Europe NT for the Vista - and you would get to put on the camera database and loads of other POIs. For outdoor work look at mapping GPS if you want, or go for a simpler (and less expensive) device, invest in MemoryMap and use both together to plan walks/cycle routes.

One day there will be a multi-purpose (affordable) device but at present
burtonian
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Phil. I already have a Talex for in-car camera spotting (although the updates are a bit uncertain at present due to the business changing hands). However you've raised an interesting point as the nuvi 200 is currently on special offer in Halfords for £99.95, about the same as the Topo maps. I've also looked at the SatMap Active10 and the Road Angel Navigator 7000 which are promising but seem too much of a compromise (on size, function and battery power) for dual use at present.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having had a look at the PGPS Camera database it would appear that it may well work on the Vista - using the Mapsource data. I guess it would work without anything other than the base map as it would use the Proximity alert function to warn you when you are approaching a device. Whether you could do 'warn on route only' I haven't a clue. Sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: