Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Am i in the right place?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Am i in the right place?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slimsta
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Am i in the right place? Reply with quote

Hi
Am i in the right place for this ?
Don't know if i am in the right area for this, however i do have a Tom Tom One and have used this area for other topics / posts.
This one is questioning where i can go to edit a mobile Camera submission?
Reason for this is ....

Many months ago - (that long back can't remember) i submitted a mobile and quite proudly have been on pocketgpsworld twice to submit it, yet still have not received verification.
This mobile is still in the database and is being used.

Understanding that mobile submissions take significantly longer to be verified thus giving you lifetime membership, Locals i have spoken within my area have confirmed that this mobile has yet again been seen but on different days sometimes monday mornings and sometimes monday afternoons (i spotted both my submissions from seeing the mobile out and about on a Sundays), how do we provide this information for you to update and how would a verifier be able to confirm or verify if he is checking on different days?

I felt that pocketgps world needed to be aware of the change of day they are out, and what is the longest it has taken to verify a submission of a mobile?
I have checked and can see the Camera is still on the database, yet no-one has confirmed this or veified it as being there as of yet.
i have questioned my submission in other topics on the forums and not really had a confirmation or agreeance to free lifetime membership because the length it takes to verify mobile submissions.
Again apologies if i am in the wrong place, however would love some feedback on this
Regards
Slimsta
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As to the verification process, have a look at THIS write up by DennisN.

As to the camera, perhaps you could give some more details so that we know which one you're talking about.

I'll also move it to the Camera Database Forum.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
slimsta
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Oldboy
Thanks for the prompt reply, here are the co-ordinates where the mobile is situated

Centre Latitude: 52.4107966877885 Longitude: -1.463005542755127

Have also read the link you left on the verifiers and fully understand it is volunteers work and no-one gets paid to do this good work, and i know its not just my submission that is waiting to get verified, do you think a simple photo from a phone camera in the mobile situatons would be an idea?
i'm trying to see both sides of the coin here, the hard work pocketgps put in and efforts individuals go through to report to keep the database up to date

Regards
Slimsta
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted - did not check first that the camera in question had been verified or not. Embarassed
Brodit ProClip mount
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slimsta wrote:
Centre Latitude: 52.4107966877885 Longitude: -1.463005542755127
This is pMobile:37773@30, and there are quite a few cameras around Coventry to be verified.

Some cameras waiting to be verified go back to 2006.

Could it be that nobody wants to get sent to Coventry. Wink

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'bout time Dennis went there. 'e goes pretty much everywhere else Very Happy
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to be the FIRST person to report the camera, to get free lifetime membership. If you say the camera is already in the database, then by reporting it, you are confirming it is in use, not reporting it as a new site and waiting for your free membership, or have I read the question, and got the wrong end of the stick?
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tanda: That was the gist of my update before I deleted it as it had a fundamental error. At present, it's a pmobile so we don't know for sure if slimsta is the first to register it or not. It could have been one of the friends he spoke to about it. Twisted Evil

Until one of the verifiers visits Coventry, he won't know.

slimsta: Don't be disheartened! Keep reporting cameras that you see and you may get lucky one day. The more you report, the better chance you have - though you'll be racing others trying to be the first. It's better odds than the lottery but still not a certainty. Smile
Brodit ProClip mount
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slimsta wrote:
do you think a simple photo from a phone camera in the mobile situatons would be an idea?
i'm trying to see both sides of the coin here, the hard work pocketgps put in and efforts individuals go through to report to keep the database up to date

Regards
Slimsta

I'm afraid a photo won't do, unless you have a camera which embeds geopositioning data in it (whatever the heck that is - it's just something I've seen Mikealder going on about and apparently it puts the GPS location onto the picture). I mean, one picture of a mobile van is pretty much like another, don't you think? Could be anywhere.

Looking at Autoroute Express, Coventry is pretty small. But when you zoom in it gets bigger and bigger! The closest I've been to pMobile:37773 is running up and down the Coventry Eastern Bypass. In all cases, it was just not possible to divert to any of those cameras - either I was buzzing north with a delivery deadline to make, or buzzing south to get home before Vera locks me out for the night! It's astonishing just how much time you add to a journey by moving sideways to pick up even a single camera. I'm sure one of us will get to it sometime and I'm really sorry we can't offer an ETA. Think how long it would take you to do a circuit round the outside of Coventry, but using estate roads, rather than ring road or motorways and you'll get an idea of the situation.

Like GerryC, I'll hope you continue to report cameras and that one day you come up with a first timer which gets verified quickly. Not very long ago, I verified one in an incredibly out of the way spot, which had only been reported less than a week previously.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I'm afraid a photo won't do, unless you have a camera which embeds geopositioning data in it (whatever the heck that is - it's just something I've seen Mikealder going on about and apparently it puts the GPS location onto the picture). I mean, one picture of a mobile van is pretty much like another, don't you think? Could be anywhere.

Geo-Tagging the picture is the term used and I would say such a picture should be acceptable, you need some fairly exotic kit to do this although some mobile phones can be used - note the picture will record the position you were stood at rather than the actual camera location so we would still need the location data, correlation of the two sets of figures would soon show you were close to the camera though.

I wrote up some notes last Easter on how to do this with a mobile phone (Artemis) - its a shame the phone has a poor camera but its great for geo-tagging images, see Here some other HTC phones or their derivatives can also do this trick - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a photo showing the van in operation AND the sat nav showing the road?
Might be a focus issue....

just a thought
slimsta
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tanda wrote:
You need to be the FIRST person to report the camera, to get free lifetime membership. If you say the camera is already in the database, then by reporting it, you are confirming it is in use, not reporting it as a new site and waiting for your free membership, or have I read the question, and got the wrong end of the stick?

Tanda i was the first person to submit this, and did a second time when i saw the mobile out again, its right in front of my Local !
So i have put the information forward twice.
I know i was the first as i submitted it to the data base and there was nothing there prior to my submission by anyone!
This is a considerable time ago, i've not got the equipment for "geo - tagging", At first i thought a close up snap shot of it would be ideal but with a date on the picture, however having thought about it the picture wouldn't justify where the location is !
I'm not disheartened, i have just expected a nice little bit of good news in my inbox by now, after all, the time it was submitted was donkey's ago !
I know its down to verifiers and its voluntary to do the verifying, and that only happens when passing through, but, lets be honest, what does anyone need to go to Coventry for?
Like oldboy said
"Could it be that nobody wants to get sent to Coventry" ??
Nice thought by Andy_P2002 like the thinking there, i'll just keep em peeled, and hope next time i spot and submit (in time)a permanent fixture or gatso, etc rather than a mobile, on the flip side, its easier to say "Its not verified" preventing giving free life time membership", but who has really been this way to investigate it ? Sundays were both of the times i saw them there, who's verifying on Sundays? But since having asked a few questions Monday too has been a day that they were there?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slimsta wrote:
Sundays were both of the times i saw them there, who's verifying on Sundays?
It happens, believe me. Smile

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slimsta wrote:
next time i spot and submit (in time)a permanent fixture or gatso, etc rather than a mobile, on the flip side, its easier to say "Its not verified" preventing giving free life time membership",

Verifiers do not go out of their way to disallow a mobile site to save the PGPSW a 'lifetime' as all but two or three have absolutely nothing to do with GPSW and have nothing to gain by not verifying a mobile.
If the submitted lat/long of the site, and the site is well described and the verifier can Identify pretty much exactly the location that the submitter is refering to, unless the site is totally not suitable for a mobile, the cam location will be verified, and if you were the first, the lifetime will be given. The usual reason for a mobile being rejected by a verifier is NOT because there was not a mobile unit at the time of checking, but that the description (if any) does not match the lat/long and there is nowhere matching the description in the immediate vicinity. You should be able to see that a really good description makes the verifier's job much easier. As you said, fixed cams are a breeze.
Remenmber that we all do this for no return or incentive, just to make the GPSW database the best, and worth every penny of £19 despite what others might say. Incidentally, I frequently do any verifying of cameras in my area on a Sunday.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slimsta wrote:

I know i was the first as i submitted it to the data base and there was nothing there prior to my submission by anyone!

If someone else had submitted it before you, but it hadn't yet been confirmed by another submission or verified by a verifier, then it wouldn't show on the map.

I also do nearly all of my verifying on Saturdays and Sundays. Unfortunately, work gets in the way during the week! (and in my heart of hearts, I still believe the database should be free, so I haven't got any incentive to reject a submission either).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: