Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is GPRS Working??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is GPRS Working??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Is GPRS Working?? Reply with quote

Before Christmas I was able to test GPRS with my x980t but now I have been allowed to unwrap and use the phone properly I can't get the GPRS to work the phone connects fine and everything seems to work until the connection test. The phone allows connection but when testing it comes back and says failed. I even see the globe on the phone moving to indicate network activity then the GPS says unable to configure.

What is going wrong? Is something wrong with the 7.0.3 update or is the GPRS services simply not working???? HELP!!!!
As I said before I know the phone DID work as I was able to get weather data downloaded a few weeks back when the phone first arrived.

I'm really confused and annoyed!!! Confused

I'm using a Sony Erricson w910i (as I said earlier it worked fine a few weeks back so either the service is down or the 7.0.3 patch has broken something)
Bertie100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got the latest software for your phone? I spoke to a guy from Vodafone yesterday who said that some customers have experienced bluetooth problems with this phone and recommends you update the software via Sony's update service (online via the phones menu).

Also the X970T now claims to be fully compatible with the W910i
http://gps.viamichelin.co.uk/viamichelin/gbr/GPS/htm/nav/x970t-newedition-functionalities.htm#

but not on the X980T (not fully - GPRS should OK, and phone contacts)
http://gps.viamichelin.co.uk/viamichelin/gbr/GPS/htm/nav/x980t-newedition-functionalities.htm#

I tried GPRS and handsfree with my X970T and a friends W910i and it seemed to work OK.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have updated the phone software. Everything else seems to work fine and the phone even 'connects'. What is really strange is the fact that weeks before christmas when I setup the phone (before having to wrap it for christmas) I tried the GPRS services and it worked straight away.

I somehow suspect that something in the 7.0.3 patch has broken the GPRS service with my phone or the GPRS isn't fully activated on my GPS unit as maybe VM is refusing to allow connection?

Guess I'll have to wait until Stu is around on the forum to really have this looked into.

As it's the same v7 software I do wonder why the x970 and x980 have different compatibility lists?
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not wanting to wait I have tried again to get the w910i and x980t working like I know it did months before.
So far I have tried a full 'hard reset' of the x980t and deleted the gps from the phones devices to start completely from scratch.
Tried all 4 of the Orange mobile GPRS settings and even tried a manual setting.

So far nothing at all has worked. All of the settings seem to work up to the point of the connection test.

Is anyone else having problems connecting to the GPRS services with Orange mobile?

Stu, how is it possible to check that my GPS unit is activated for the GPRS services correctly as it would seem either Orange or VM is refusing connection??
k8drh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too fella, I'm with Orange and mine dont work.

Did the same as you, tried all the settings even the 3G but to no avail!

I emailed VM but nothing heard yet.

I'm using a SE K810i which is technically the same as a K800i which is on the compatability list on the VM website.

Have to wait and see.

Daz
Bertie100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk wrote:
Not wanting to wait I have tried again to get the w910i and x980t working like I know it did months before.
So far I have tried a full 'hard reset' of the x980t and deleted the gps from the phones devices to start completely from scratch.

So far nothing at all has worked. All of the settings seem to work up to the point of the connection test.

Is anyone else having problems connecting to the GPRS services with Orange mobile?

Stu, how is it possible to check that my GPS unit is activated for the GPRS services correctly as it would seem either Orange or VM is refusing connection??

I'm getting a W910i tomorrow... I'll let you know how I get on (Vodafone).
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k8drh wrote:
Me too fella, I'm with Orange and mine dont work.

Did the same as you, tried all the settings even the 3G but to no avail!

I emailed VM but nothing heard yet.

I'm using a SE K810i which is technically the same as a K800i which is on the compatability list on the VM website.

Have to wait and see.

Daz

Could it be something with the Orange network then causing problems? I noticed that the net can take a long time to connect on the phone sometimes so is it possible the GPS it timing out waiting for the connection?
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertie100 wrote:
jonandmarkuk wrote:

Be sure to update the software of the phone as it fixes a few issues. Only issue I have found is if you use more than one bluetooth device you are best to switch off the phone and back on before changing devices (i.e having had the VM connected I found today using the bluetooth headphones the sound was cutting out, but 'rebooting' fixed that).
Bertie100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk wrote:
Bertie100 wrote:
jonandmarkuk wrote:

Be sure to update the software of the phone as it fixes a few issues. Only issue I have found is if you use more than one bluetooth device you are best to switch off the phone and back on before changing devices (i.e having had the VM connected I found today using the bluetooth headphones the sound was cutting out, but 'rebooting' fixed that).

What firmware version do you have on the W910i?
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure, whatever version is avalable on the net via the update service
Bertie100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk wrote:
not sure, whatever version is avalable on the net via the update service

The update service is dependent on the provider. For example, Orange will get a generic firmware from Sony and then customise it (branding) and install it on their phones (disabling some features in some cases). This often means there is a delay from when Sony release a patch and Orange makes it available to their customers.

You should be able to find out your current firmware version from the some kind of update menu on the phone (may under updating???).

I think i will debrand my phone when i get it... this will allow me to update the phone with Sony's generic firmwares as soon as they release it (don't have to wait Vodafone to play with it) .

Last edited by Bertie100 on Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total
gmoorc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My TomTom plus traffic stopped working on orange when they introduced their adult content filter a little while ago.
As soon as I had this switched off on my account traffic started working again.
Symptoms were the phone connected fine to my PDA (Could browse the net) but TomTom refused to download any data.

Worth a try.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gmoorc wrote:
My TomTom plus traffic stopped working on orange when they introduced their adult content filter a little while ago.
As soon as I had this switched off on my account traffic started working again.
Symptoms were the phone connected fine to my PDA (Could browse the net) but TomTom refused to download any data.

Worth a try.

anyone know a way to contact ornage support without having to get on the phone? Feel stupid requesting the 'adult content' filter to be removed just to get GPRS working again.
The phone is definately connecting out as I see the globe symbol appear it is as though either VM or Orange are refusing the connection.
Maybe VM could contact Orange and ensure Orange aren't blocking access.
gmoorc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Login to your orange mobile account on the web and in there is an option to change the adult content settings.
Think you can also do it by dialling 450 and going through the automatic menus.
If it needs to verify your age you will probably still have to speak with support.

Gary
RCorry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been having problems connecting a Nokia 6233 even after installing 7.0.3. Finally decided to call ViaMichelin and they recommended a Hard Reset - this requires removing the SD Card and pressing the + and i buttons together with the Reset button (using stylus). These must be held down until there is a full green bar at the bottom of the screen.

The hard reset worked and I can now use the GPRS services (on Vodafone GPRS). Still can't copy my contacts though!
Cartography Edition 2007

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: