Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Reset issues - please help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Reset issues - please help
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use either Safe Disconnects you will be OK for 99.9% of the time, and as long as you have an up to date Full Backup this will cover the other 0.1%, barring a Hardware failure.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anditsinthere wrote:
I dont want to install anything now in case it Flukes up again!!!! Is it wise to get a 2GB SD card??
STOP!! WAIT!! LISTEN VERY CAREFULLY!!

It seems pretty obvious that your problems are that you are unplugging your device too quickly.

USB theory is to plug and unplug easy peasy, but it's NOT. Certainly you can plug IN whenever you like with no problem. But if you do anything with the plugged in thingy, you have to wait for it to finish before you unplug - for example, your computer indicates you have finished printing, but the printer is still chuntering away - you wouldn't dream of unplugging whilst it's still printing, would you? Same applies when you are updating your TomTom, only because there's no chuntering, you can't tell whether or not it has finished the update. So with the TT still plugged into the computer and TT Home still connected, you select (from the top menu) Device .... Disconnect Device. When it is OK to do so, it actually says you can now disconnect AND your device reboots (restarts) and again asks if you want to connect to computer, for which you select NO, it goes to the map display and you can then switch it off and unplug it from the computer connection cradle.

Providing you use the Device .... Disconnect Device method as described above, you needn't worry about the other method. Just make sure you let the whole process complete, right up to where you choose not to connect to the computer again.

I haven't looked back far enough to see whether or not you've mentioned doing backups. So have you done any backups of your device? By this, I mean have you done a backup by copying the entire contents to a new folder on your computer using Windows Explorer, rather than using the backup facility mentioned by TomTom Home?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
anditsinthere
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN, thanks for the good advice, i HAVE done a full backup from when i got it on thursday, i did a windows backup rather than the home backup, it must work because i did a re-install last night after the camera fiasco! A little something that caught my attention last night was when signed into my TT account on the website, it noticed that i had 2 tom tom devices accounts (i had a TT at the start of the week but sent it back to a well known internet site) but when i signed in last night, it came up with the new device (the one i am using now) and the old one, and when i went to delete the old one, it said i couldnt delete an account for 6 months and also i would find it difficult to download and purchase any products like maps, cameras etc....so maybe that could be the problem, do i re-register with a new email address and password?? when i go into my account there are 2 devices and it gives me options to attach this device to my account, or not to......maybe someone has come across this before? Oh maybe its me not using the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon Wink
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh GROAN, GROAN! Please tell me you have NOT bought a subscription to any of TomTom's services yet. PLEASE!!

These are tied to your device and that is tied to your email address and you have to have separate email addresses for every separate TT device you own. Any TT subscription service will only be allowed to work on the device you originally bought it for. So if you bought something (Traffic or Cameras subscription) for the first device which you've sent back, you can't use it on the new device you've just bought, without LOADS of hassle from TomTom. I fell foul of that rule ages ago, hence I have used quite a lot of my free email addresses. Notice, I've had 7 TT GO720s because 5 failed, but they all had to be registered with a new email address. Back in the good old days when all I had was a GO700 and GO710, I bought new maps for them both from TomTom, but on the same order, same email address. That resulted in me ending up with ownership of two TT GOs and two legally paid for maps, but only one device having a legal map, nay verily, it was registered to TWO maps and the other device didn't have a legal (new) map. I had the receipts for them both from TomTom, they were NOT pirate copies. TomTom just left me high and dry when I tried to sort it out with them.

Moral of the story, NEVER register a new TT device on the same email address you may have used before - Andy_P2002 did that with his new GO720 and on TT website is always seeing the maps he bought for his GO300 which is dead. I did it with one of my latest GO720s because I was running out of spare email addresses, so TT website tells me all the time that I can download three maps - one from November 2006, and 2 from April 2007.

So how did you see two devices on TT website - surely you logged in to two different accounts? Not seeing two from just one login account?

PS If (hopefully) you haven't yet bought a TT subscription, DON'T DO IT until you've thoroughly investigated the service through the "columns" of this website.

anditsinthere
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent subscribed no, and i have just registered my new tomtom with a new email address and password, plus i have saved my device number so i think i am safe....i am just about to install a tomtom application that tomtom home is asking me to download......
anditsinthere
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just installed some quickfixes and essential updates without any trouble at all, so it must of been me pulling the plug too quickly!!! I have 150mb left on the internal memory...is this enough for future updates or do i get a memory card?? Thanks again Dennis for all your help you have been a lifesaver!!!! Wink
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an SD card for each of my GO720s, but they both contain the previous map version, so not much use.

Backup regularly, and before any noticeable updates (when it offers you updates, look to see how big they are - those marked "tiny" can be downloaded more or less safely, but when you are offered loadsa Megabytes, decline it, do a Win Explorer backup, then go back and accept it.

A new map will probably require you to delete your existing map, so the backup above will cover you for any instant disaster.

Get an SD card? I don't know, it's up to you. (If you did the wise thing and subscribed to this site and downloaded the speed cameras, with 150Mb you've got loads of space for all 11,000 of them). You don't need one unless you intend to make use of extra features which require space. For example using the mp3 player to have music played through the TomTom. I don't do any of that stuff, so I don't need a card - I just happen to have a handful from previous devices and cameras, so I thought I might as well fill them up with something. When I first got the 720, I did load one with a bunch of Vera's CDs and it's certainly a very convenient way to carry and play the music in the car. A lot of people wouldn't be without that facility.
You have a 520, which has limited memory and space, so an SD card would be useful. Mine are 2GB, which is big enough to carry the Western Europe map if you ever fancied it. Many people have 4GB, which is even better for map space. Some have 8GB cards. I cannot advise you on which card to get as I'm no expert, but in your place, if you're not into mp3s, I'd settle for a 4GB one.
Once again, as with anything else you may fancy, Search around this site where you'll find a bottomless pit of very useful, experienced, advice and comment.

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anditsinthere wrote:
I have just installed some quickfixes and essential updates without any trouble at all, so it must of been me pulling the plug too quickly!!!
Quote:
Thanks again Dennis for all your help you have been a lifesaver!!!! Wink

Rolling Eyes
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
anditsinthere wrote:
I have just installed some quickfixes and essential updates without any trouble at all, so it must of been me pulling the plug too quickly!!!
Quote:

Rolling Eyes
Sorry, Andy. I came in when he seemed not to be paying attention to the rest of you - I'm the old git with licence to be rude and shout!

Let's just remind him of my final words ...
Quote:
around this site where you'll find a bottomless pit of very useful, experienced, advice and comment.
To which I'll add that the contributors before I poked my nose in are just a few of the ones to whom I owe my own knowledge. Not Worthy Clap

anditsinthere
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
anditsinthere wrote:
Quote:

Rolling Eyes

Thanks Andy, you were a great help as well, all your knowledge is a great help to me, thanks to both you and Dennis...i am sure i will have more problems in the future...like putting tunes on my memory card (when i buy one!) Wink
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like someone to clerify somethimg Dennisn had touched on in an earlier reply to this topic. It was about using a different E-mail address for a different unit and hoped someone did'nt buy any subscriptions from TT as they will only be used on that device.

I was talking with TT through e-mail and i know that when you buy Plus services likeTraffic, Speedcams, etc these are only used on one device by way of the device code, i understand this. What TT told my was if i buy a different unit they would let me transfer all my subscriptions on to another device by way of giving them my new device code for that unit. I think they might only let you do this once but i am not sure. What i am trying to say is that if you get another unit wether through fault or upgrade could you not give your new device code and this would overwrite the old one. If this is wrong could someone please say as TT told me this would be no problem, just a matter of updating your device code.
GO 510 (in drawer now, time for upgrade)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't quote me on this because I'm not yer actual expert. I believe you can change your device once in six months. More often than that (like me with 5 faulty GO720s) and you've dipped out. It requires a special effort by TomTom. They are so paranoid about security that they do not do this lightly and require you to jump through hoops to achieve it. The minimum you need to do is provide them with a copy of your purchase receipt with enough detail to satisfy them you are who you say you are and the device is a legally purchased one. The security issue is that the software (maps) and services (Cameras, Traffic) are sold for real money and they stop you from helping yourself to a free set by restricting them to just one device, which is linked to your account. This is now done by the program TomTom HOME and the device code is no longer notified to them by you (they told you wrong - it used to be, but no longer), it is picked up by TT Home directly from your device. The services and maps can only be used by the one device linked to your account.

So if you buy a map or a service, you can only use it on the device associated with the account under which you purchased it.

On day 1, you register (in TT Home) your nice new GO, with your email address of MySpoofEmailAddress@SomeISP.gom and Home picks up the device code from the GO.
On day 2, you decide to buy and download a map of Mongolia and it registers against that device code.
On day 3, the GO goes wrong and you take it back to the shop, where they instantly give you a new one.

That's where it all starts to go pear-shaped. Having already bought and paid for the Mongolia map, you do have the map in your account (you can download it again at any time for a year, I think), but sadly, your new GO isn't the right one, so you can't get that map onto it. The same applies if you subscribed to Traffic etc on Day 1.

TomTom can sort it out, but they are not the best sorters out in the world, to be honest. Some would offer a less kind opinion!! So you have to prove to TT that you are not your neighbour or mate trying to get freebies.

My personal problem was that I had two different GOs (with receipts) for which I bought two of the new maps in April, one for each. But I (in ignorance) ordered and paid for them with only the one email address (how else do you buy off the internet, for goodness sake?), so they were both linked to the same device. I tried to get TT to resolve it for me, but they refused on the grounds that I had activated them both somehow during the download process. I had receipts from TT for the two maps - didn't make an ounce of difference. In the end I gave up, because I had somehow managed to install one on each device and knowing they were legally paid for, I couldn't care less whether TT had them properly registered. I no longer have those devices - the legally registered map device I've sold on, the illegal (sic) one died and has been replaced by a GO720.

Now I may have overstated this problem, others can offer opinions. But TomTom were completely unhelpful to me and I'm a vindictive old sod! They told me that I cannot have more than one device on one email address - in words of one syllable, if I have five devices, I have to register them under five different email addresses (at the time I had three devices), but now that I'm up to my 7th GO720 since buying my first, you can imagine my email address situation - I can use 10 free addresses with my ISP, but closing old ones and starting new ones is a right royal pain in the ****. I have a piece of paper blue-tacked to my computer room wall with my current email addresses and passwords - it's really tatty with being pulled off and stuck on again, and the wallpaper is close to surrender. Dammit, at the age of 68 I'm entitled to plead a poor memory aren't I?

TomTom make out that changing your account is simple. The reality is that it's easier said than done, so most wise people don't even try, they set up new email accounts. I've never bought any PLUS services - I get the PGPSW cameras which are so much better and I turn on my radio for traffic news from Radio 5 (909 and 693 AM). I have to use TT for new maps and I have to use TT Home to get updates. That's sad.

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Dennis said....

I wanted it nice and simple, one (new) machine, one account, on my normal email address.
First line CS thought it was easy too... Several of them had a go, and then after being put on hold a few times, they would admit they couldn't but weren't sure why.
Eventually we got to the "send your proof of purchase to us by FAX" level. 1. The Fax number they give is actually a Dutch number and the first three fax machines I tried had international barring
2. their (only?) fax machine "broke" for several days
3. they lost the fax twice.

That was a few months ago, so I think they must have had more practice and it MUST have improved by now. I think they now let you send a scan of the receipt by email, which will make life MUCH easier.

So... it can be done, but its not the simplest of things to achieve.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Andy. Changing your device details in your account is why you are still offered the map for your GO300. If, instead, you had registered your shiny new 720 under a different email address, you would not be seeing the GO300 map. The map (and/or your Traffic etc subscription) is actually tied to your account, not your device. It's that your device is also tied to your account that creates the problems, because TT Home says which device can be connected to that account.

bigfoot47
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badgerman- If you dock your 520 and can connect to Home, go to "Remove items from Go" put a tick in "applications" and remove.Then through home go to update my go and re install the application again it is this that sorted mine out from the same problem. If it fails do a reset between each stage and hopefully that should be enough.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: