Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Vario 111 (HTC Kaiser)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Vario 111 (HTC Kaiser)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Vario 111 (HTC Kaiser) Reply with quote

Delivery man's just been...at first glance, a very impressive piece of kit. Now to get TT6 installed over to it and sorted with TT. Not sure how to set it up with the internal GPS ....can't be that difficult. Also not clear if it accepts a 6Gb card. Watch this space.
ant121007
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U get the phone from T-Mobie??
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't mess around with the GPS applet from the control panel of the phone as this can make setting up the internal GPS a real song and dance if you don't know what you are doing.

If TomTom version 6,020 or 6,030 you will have a menu option to select Internal GPS Device, just select that and the whole lot is configured, if you have 6,010 either update it via TomTom Home or choose Com 4 at 4800 Baud. Not too sure about a 6GB card in it though Cool - Mike
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike...will do as you suggest....(when I get my 6Gb card)
HTC /UK helpdesk...very, very helpful...but can't help, of course, with any TMobile software/program issues . (0845 890 0079)
Device will accept 6Gb card.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another little trick you might want to try is enabling the GPS mode for the camera, by default it is turned off on the HTC devices, have a read of This which is for the Artemis, but the same reg edit will work on your new device - Mike
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea...not sure though that I'm up to it though, as a pretty basic amateur. You don't have a 'stop by if you're in the area' type of facility do you ? !!
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a follow up, I was going to comment..'great, really pleased'...which is true , if I could just sort TT out.
Last night I nearly gave up, when it (TT) burst into life. This morning, another half hour wait at least until it locked on.
Couple of points for advise.
1. I've set the GPS device to, 'Other NMEA gps receiver' and 4800 baud, and Com 4.....which is the only GPS option available...the others all 'wired'.
2. I'm running TT6 V6.010 ....should I go up to V6.030...which I read about somewhere ? Looking on TT's site and trying to do a search, I can't find any reference to it....would any body be able to give me a link ?
If all else fails, as I can't wait around each time for half hour or so, then I'll have to continue to use my Holux, which seems a bit of a backward step.
ps The phone also has something called 'QuickGPS' which seems to download the latest satellite positions from the HTC server, to speed up access, which seems on the face of it a good idea...(not that it's helping me much!)
weelogic
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FF, I would definitely suggest moving to v 6.030. I had been running the same version as you on the XDA Orbit (equivalent to the HTC 3300, which had a processor running at half the speed of your shiny new device), and the change when moving to 6.030 was incredible. Selecting the "built-in GPS" option gives me a fix within 20 seconds max, often within 5 seconds if I haven't moved far with TT switched off. I think that the following link should work for the update - providing of course that version 1.5 of TT Home doesn't jigger your install in the way that I believe it has for others.

http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?FID=6736&Lid=1

The link doesn't mention your device specifically, but the ones listed were the latest devices at the time of the update that had been released with built-in GPS, so I see no reason why it shouldn't work fine on the Kaiser.
weelogic
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS, I followed Mike's trick about GPS geotagging on the camera - what a brilliant find that was. As I said in the linked post, the WM6 update on my Orbit has greatly improved the system's accuracy as well. It's probably just a fun gimmick most of the time, for holiday snaps and such, but for camera submissions and (even better) in the event of pictures of an accident for insurance purposes, it's superb.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try changing the Baud rate to 9600, everything I have seen about your device suggests 4800 but all the other HTC units with integral GPS use 9600 so it is worth trying.
If you want 6,030 on the device (which will give you the option to select the internal GPS as part of the set-up process) try This Page, you will need to use TomTom Home on the PC to get the update using this method.

The Quick GPS downloads the Ephemeris data from the HTC server and saves it to the phone memory, this is used to assist the GPS to obtain a position fix within a few seconds in my experiance on other HTC units with the same system.

weelogic, another useful way to employ the GPS camera mode is to photograph illegally parked mobile speed camera vehicles - I have a few stored on the phone from around the local area Wink - Mike
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks one and all. Set baud to 9600.
Would love that upgrade but I keep getting some spurious message..something about 'external protocol request', hitting OK, goes into TT Home., (I'm on V 1.05.106), and then TT Home flashes up 'unknown command' and a string of data ! There must be an easier way to move up ?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you just love the Home software when it messes up like this!! - try This Instead, note you will have to unpack the download (double clicking it using Windows XP will work fine) and then extract the CAB file manually (ttn.cab)

Copy the CAB file on to the device then use File Explorer on the phone to locate the CAB file, tap it to install the application (as a tip before you copy the CAB to the device right click it on the PC select properties and set it to read only) so it will be there for future use if you hard reset the unit for any reason - Mike
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike...copy it over to anywhere on the device when I open up Explore from ActivSync ?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct, I usually put it on the memory card in a folder you create for storing CAB files, it can be named anything you want - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: