Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT support - POI Warning tone resetting problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT support - POI Warning tone resetting problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gpspcb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: TT support - POI Warning tone resetting problem Reply with quote

Hi,

I just got my reply back for tomtom support about the warning tone resetting problem - they don't want to know! Here is my thread to them consisting of three messages and their reply.

Thanks
Pete

My emails to TomTom Support - I wrote:
msg1
I wonder if you can help me with my new tt520. I have downloaded up to date safety camera pois from pocketgpsworld and I have changed the warning tones for fixed gatsos. Unfortunately, the tomtom is unable to retain my choice of warning tones and reverts, randomly it seems, back to the default sound. Can you tell me if there is something I can do to stop the tomtom defaulting the tones? I would appreciate a fast response. Thanks in advance

msg2
Out of the dock and not connected to my pc the tt520 says my application number is 7.221 (8572/071121) OS:2318

In the dock and running tomtom home 2 my tt520 says it is a tt go 920 running application 7.220 (8571/040301) OS:1000

The tomtom software is 2.1.2.121

I should point out that this happened to my tomtom one aswell. The tomtom one was working fine until the tomtom home 2 was released.

msg3
Someone suggested I use the clear flash exe file from your site. I did this and the tomtom home 2 software system info reports I have a 520 again, until that is I use tomtom home 2 and 'operate my go' - it then reverts back to a 920. The clear flash program did not help with the warnings defaulting back to bell 1 either.

I really hope you have a solution. Mapshare and warnings are my reasons for upgrading and up to now, I feel pretty let down.

TomTom Support wrote:
Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support

Unfortunately, as these POI's are 3rd party software, they may not work as well as say TomTom official POI's.
Therefore as we did not develop these POI's, we cannot guarantee that they will work as you are expecting them to do so.

We suggest that you refer to the vendor of these POI's to see if they are able to get them to work.

It is TomTom's policy not to support 3rd party software or POI's

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest gpspcb when you mention 3rd parties to TT they will their hands with you. You would be better reporting the faults to do with your TT unit and leave out the 3rd party faults and you might atleats get some sort of answer from them. Maybe too late as they know about the 3rd party Poi's now. Maybe worth a try.
GO 510 (in drawer now, time for upgrade)
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I Wrote
Quote:
To be honest gpspcb when you mention 3rd parties to TT they will their hands with you.

I meant to say they will wash their hands with you. Embarassed Rolling Eyes
GO 510 (in drawer now, time for upgrade)
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try following it up by saying that the same thing happens with POIs supplied by TomTom (saying you were doing a comparison test Wink ).

As for the version numbers etc, the emulator used by Home is often incorrect so it's best just to use the info on the unit itself.
Brodit ProClip mount
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if1977 wrote:
To be honest gpspcb when you mention 3rd parties to TT they will their hands with you.

Yes they've used this trick before....
The fact that it is THEIR warning system, which is nothing to do with the POIs themselves, means nothing; as soon as you mention "3rd party POIs" they use it to wriggle out of it.

I'm going to make a point of putting in a warning for something obscure like "mountain passes" so that if it forgets them again I can definitely say that warnings for THEIR POIs go too.

However, to be honest someone else said that v7.221 seemed to have solved this problem for him, and I must say it hasn't happened to me since 7.221 either
gpspcb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
if1977 wrote:

Yes they've used this trick before....
The fact that it is THEIR warning system, which is nothing to do with the POIs themselves, means nothing; as soon as you mention "3rd party POIs" they use it to wriggle out of it.

I'm going to make a point of putting in a warning for something obscure like "mountain passes" so that if it forgets them again I can definitely say that warnings for THEIR POIs go too.

However, to be honest someone else said that v7.221 seemed to have solved this problem for him, and I must say it hasn't happened to me since 7.221 either

Thanks. I've just tried this Mountain Pass poi and it still resets to Bell 1. Here is a further message to tomtom support.

My 4th message to tt support - I wrote:
Thanks for you reply. To clarify, I don't have a problem with the 3rd party poi's. I have a problem with your warning system. The poi's are correctly shown in the correct positions and when I switch on warnings for those poi's, I do get a warning. It just happens the tomtom forgets what it should be.

The poi ov2 file has nothing to do with warnings!

To prove this, I have tried using your Mountain Pass POI, on Beep 5. This also resets to Bell 1 in the same way described earlier.

I have also deleted all 3rd party poi's from my device and tried it again and the Mountain Pass warning still resets.

I look forward to a speedy solution to this fault.

Kind regards,
gpspcb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So pocketgpsworld poi's 'interfere with the operation of the TomTom'.
I haven't tried the procedure, detailed below, but it's interesting to note where they apportion blame. This probably means that the PGPSW poi's have messed up the distance announcements too. 2.3 miles was announced to me today as 2.3 yards! I'm not convinced.

TT support wrote:
Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support

The TomTom 520 and the latest software versions run on Navcore 7 software. The Pocket GPS software that you have installed has been designed by Pocket GPS to work only with Navcore 6 Software. Because of this, if you install 3rd party software that is not designed for Navcore 7, you will find that it will interfere with the operation of the TomTom.

We strongly recommend that you do not install 3rd party software to your TomTom device, and we suggest that you remove all 3rd party software from your device.

- Remove all 3rd party software from your TomTom
- Reset your TomTom to factory settings
- Download the attached clear flash tool.
- Save it to your desktop
- make sure that your tomtom is connected to the PC
- run the clear flash tool on your PC while the TomTom is connected
- SWitch your TomTom off
- Disconnect it from the PC
- Switch your TomTom back on
- Let the TomTom load up and then tap onto 'Change Preferences - reset factory settings'
- Reset your TomTom with a paperclip in the reset hole for 30 seconds,

Once you have done this,

- Tap onto 'Manage POI- Warn when near POI'
- Select the POI you need
- Select the audio warning you need.

Once you have done this, please test your unit out. If you find that the tomtom works after this point, we suggest that you do not install any further 3rd party POI's and software.

With Best Regards
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a conversation with a potential subscriber recently, TT Support had told him that using our POIs could stop his new 720 from functioning!

I'm not sure if its the ignorance of the CS in question or a general stance from TT to prevent them losing even more of their safety cam market!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should also be noted that if you complain to them about the appalling quality of their own built-in POIs, they deny any responsibility (they blame TeleAtlas while they still can!) and suggest you use third-party POIs!
They seem to want it both ways! Evil or Very Mad

Also, as the warnings set-up is stored in MapSettings.cfg, the actual POI file format shouldn't come into it.
ALSO, if you asked them what the POI format should be for v7, would they tell you (or even BE ABLE to tell you)? I suspect not...
mike_d
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have a solution to the warning sound selection problem and, yes, it does seem that "third party" POI's are at least part of the problem.

To cut a long story short, the "pocketgps_Uk_" beginning to the file name seems to be the issue that TomTom can't handle. There is a similar issue with the .ogg sound files as well.

I have changed the file names to begin "pgps_" (e.g. pgps_gatso.ov2). This keeps the files in a group but works around TomTom's inability to search or store a long nearly identical name.

Mike
mike_d
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just responded to TomTom Support, who having already had me clear the flash memory (loosing some settings and my favouites) and then proposed a re-install of the software (which, no doubt would have lost much more).

This is my response:-

Yes I also have third party POI's and these do seem to preciptitate the problem. Among the POI's I have are the Pocket GPS speed camera POI's which all begin "pocketgps_Uk_" It would appear that the TomTom has a problem searching or storing these files. Shortening the start to "pgps_" provides a work around.

I still feel they need to look at the problem, but at least have some sort of pointer to where the issue may be.

Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry but I disagree. I have no issue as do many others who use our POIs.

I don't doubt that some users have a problem but I don't agree that the cause is our POIs or the naming convention we use. If it were then there would be a great many more users with issues.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I'm sorry but I disagree. I have no issue as do many others who use our POIs.

I don't doubt that some users have a problem but I don't agree that the cause is our POIs or the naming convention we use. If it were then there would be a great many more users with issues.

I agree with Darren that this is a red herring. I have renamed the files to a zz- prefix and I've had similar problems at times (though unsure what I do to cause it).
Brodit ProClip mount
mike_d
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been careful in my response to TomTom not to blame the Pocket GPS POI's for the problem, just that they have shown a weakness in the software.

I had a TomTom One ("first edition") which I religiously updated and had the warning issue when it moved onto version 7. I now have a brand new 720, and they same issue. I took it up with TomTom, and at the same time tried to find a work around.

There is an issue, as this thread shows. I suspect many users just put up with the Bell 1 warning as I had to for some time on my One. It doesn't just affect the PGPS warnings, it drives any other TomTom warning back to the default Bell 1. It doesn't happen if only a TomTom built in POI is selected for warning.

I am trying to be constructive, sharing a work around and at the same time prompting TomTom to correct the software end, not throw rocks at PGPS.

If this doesn't work for others, I'm wrong, I often am. If it does it will take a little irritation out of their lives.

Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: