Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - £60 fine for "stopping in a box junction"
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

£60 fine for "stopping in a box junction"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peasemore
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Bailiffs Reply with quote

I was concerned to see on current TV series involving baillifs, that in London (+ elsewhere) that they too run ANPR vans to collect unpaid fines; that they should have direct access, like Old Bill,
to DVLA is out of order.
Who next Question

It also showed them working alongside police running road blocks too. Twisted Evil

Hadn't realised they can't seize taxis, that flag up with unpaid fines, as they are driver's means of earning a crust..but then so it is for large % drivers. Embarassed
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Bailiffs Reply with quote

peasemore wrote:
I was concerned to see on current TV series involving baillifs, that in London (+ elsewhere) that they too run ANPR vans to collect unpaid fines; that they should have direct access, like Old Bill,
to DVLA is out of order.
Who next Question

They don't have direct access. They have details of vehicles which are the subject of unpaid court fines only.
Quote:
It also showed them working alongside police running road blocks too. Twisted Evil

They are not 'running' road blocks. They are there to deal with drivers who having been stopped by police are found to have unpaid court fines. I don't see any issue with that?
Quote:
Hadn't realised they can't seize taxis, that flag up with unpaid fines, as they are driver's means of earning a crust..but then so it is for large % drivers. Embarassed

Legally a bailiff cannot seize anything that are 'tools of your trade' so a taxi falls under that description in this case as would a builders van or a massage table if you were a masseur.

The whole area of fines and the additional costs that are added if unpaid is a different matter but at the end of the day, if the ticket had been paid on time it wouldn't have resulted in the huge charges highlighted in that program.

Where I do have strong objections is the cases such as Tescos etc who have parking limits and can get vehicle owner details from DVLA to issue fines. It's so wrong it makes my blood boil! In my opinion only the courts and Police should get access to this data. Evil or Very Mad
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hadn't realised they can't seize taxis

Quote:
Legally a bailiff cannot seize anything that are 'tools of your trade' so a taxi falls under that description in this case as would a builders van or a massage table if you were a masseur.

Or anything needed for medical, dietary or hygiene reasons, such as Mobility Scooters, ovens, fridge, freezer or Washing Machines.
peasemore
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: DVLA Access Reply with quote

I worked at Shell 30 yrs back, and whatever DVLA's predecessor was, they had same data access arrangements.

If say petrol station was damaged by a car, or a vehicle there and didn't stop & provide details, we had forms to send off to get data; it was just a few pounds then.

The selling off this data, to all & sundry and careless loss/leakage, as in today's news is a great concern.

I gather soon that parking offence/speeding data will soon be passing amongst EC members, so on assumption they have cloned numberplate cars there, you could be getting some foreign language summonses/points on your UK licence.
Imagine trying to sort that one out.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Andy - I can't remember exactly how, but there is provision for a private company to get your details from the DVLA. Evil or Very Mad
Don't you just ask them to post you a couple of CDs in case you might need to recall a car or two?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a large notice at Tesco in Ashby De La Zouch on the way out adjacent to to the petrol station stating ANPR in operation, whether it refers to the patrol station or car park, I dont know, but i have never noticed any other signs, if it applies to the car park it seems odd to be on the exit facing inwards.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure it has not got a pal on the entrance looking out?
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: £60 fine for "stopping in a box junction" Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
tesco's off canal road in bradford has anpr for their car park. if you stay there more than 2 hours they write to the dvla to get your details... ;)

Hmm, but they don't get your details, they get the details of the registered keeper - there is a subtle difference here as this is a civil matter. If you weren't driving (and they can't figure out who was) then they can't take the driver to court!

Reading the forums at http://forums.pepipoo.com/ it sounds like this whole thing is unenforceable....
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Reading the forums at http://forums.pepipoo.com/ it sounds like this whole thing is unenforceable....

Yes, but it won't stop them trying as some people won't question it....
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you sure it has not got a pal on the entrance looking out?

If he has then he is well hidden, the other one sticks out like a sore thumb.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely a reference to the cameras used at many petrol stations nowadays to reduce bilking. They are ANPr but have no link to owners details, they merely record VRN's and can access data from other forecourts on vehicles who have previously been involved in bilking etc.
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
There is a large notice at Tesco in Ashby De La Zouch on the way out adjacent to to the petrol station stating ANPR in operation, whether it refers to the patrol station or car park, I dont know, but i have never noticed any other signs, if it applies to the car park it seems odd to be on the exit facing inwards.

All it does is record the vehicle registration number, date and time. It has no link to the DVLA and cannot obtain any personal details. It enables security staff to have the information to pass on to police for those that drive off without paying. Sainsbury's also use them at their forecourts.

The system can store up to 30 days of data to a single DVD and is linked into the CCTV cameras that cover each line of pumps.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Most likely a reference to the cameras used at many petrol stations nowadays to reduce bilking.

I've learnt a new word today!
Never heard of "bilking" before. Lots of references though when you Google it. Smile
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's another obscure one for you then , artifice burglary Very Happy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how you burgle an artifice?

Reading Services on the M4 has a sign up saying registration recognition cameras are in use to identify traders in their car park. It doesn't seem to deter the dodgy traders though. They sit in their posh cars parked close to the shop etc entrance and call you over politely for their sales pitch. Dead obvious if anybody from the Services wanted to look. They don't call me over though - being fat, old and obviously penniless does have some advantages.

It didn't work in the service station up on M6 at Shap though. He pulled up alongside me and said "Scus - you spik italian?" and proceeded to try to sell me his sales rep's spare stock of Italian shoes!! I suppose even I look rich to some foreigners (even though he was not foreign).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: