Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Can you copy TomTom onto an existing micro-SD card?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Can you copy TomTom onto an existing micro-SD card?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
petepda
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Can you copy TomTom onto an existing micro-SD card? Reply with quote

I've just bought an HTC Touch phone running WM6 and would love to get TomTom software running on it. However, due to the rather unfriendly access to the SD card, i'd rather not have to swap cards everytime i want to run TT or listen to my MP3 collection for instance.

So, can i copy the software from the TomTom SD card to my own card?

Also, is TomTom available without the GPS receiver - i already have one.

Thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a read of the FAQ page number 8 should give you an idea of what is needed, it was written for the Go devices to use a larger card, but will work just as well for what you want to do.
My only other tip, use a card reader, don't try sending map files to the device via Active Sync - its just not reliable enough. Nice choice of phone by the way.
FAQ page is Here - Mike
petepda
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! Many thanks Mike.

I'm certainly loving the Touch - very usable, but incredibly small device - just what i've always wanted from a phone/pda.

Next step - find TomTom for as little £££ as possible!
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you copy TomTom onto an existing micro-SD card? Reply with quote

petepda wrote:
So, can i copy the software from the TomTom SD card to my own card?

Thanks

I copied my existing TomTom V6 from the 1GB SD Card that was in my XDA II to the 4GB micro SD card in my XDA Orbit. I used active Sync because the card is so fiddly to get in and out and you have to remove the Sim card first as well. Normally I would use a card reader as Mike suggested but mine is in the PC in a 3.5" bay.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
309Pug
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: SD Disk Copy Reply with quote

Can any of you guys help please.
Attempted to copy TT Nav 6 from supplied SD Card to 2GB SD Card, followed the instructions to the letter from the FAQ section No8, I even formatted the disk using the Panosonic SD Format software first. Here's my problem it will just not recognise the copied TT software in my Nokia N73.
If you look at the files / info on the new 2GB disk via your PC they are all there, what am I doing wrong !!!

Chris
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you have 'Show hidden files' ticked and hide file extensions for known files un ticked as per the guide, this relates to Windows Explorers settings, secondly did you maintain the folder structure I.E. are the folders all the root of the card or did you per chance put them all in a single folder on the new memory card as this is a common mistake - Mike
309Pug
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the swift reply Mike,
I made sure that the necessary boxes were ticked or unticked as advised, I copied all files from original TT Nav 6 card to desktop, this now shows several folders eg raster, system, .Trashes, voices etc etc+ individual files eg start.exe, autorun.inf, connect2internet.db etc etc
I swapped cards and copy / pasted from the desktop icon straight to the new card.
Still won't work, I must be doing something wrong, please advise, it's probably something simple that I have possibly overlooked.

Chris
coconut
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem but with my Ipaq hw6915 where I wanted to copy the files from the supplied TomTom Mini SD card to a higher capacity 2Gb card.

A straight copy resulted in the same problem - no maps found and card not recognised when running Navigator.

I consulted TomTom Support whose advice was to try this :

Browse to the TomTom memory card and open it, then ONLY copy the FOLDERS ( and the files within them ). DON'T copy the individual files on the card that are not in folders. Paste the copied folders ( and the files within them ) onto your new, higher capacity card.

Insert the new card into your PDA, then run the latest software update via TomTom Home. There had been an update for the Ipaq 6915, since purchasing the software, and TomTom advised that this would need to be applied once for any new card copied in this way.

After applying the software update, follow on screen instructions - remove the card then re-insert to install the update onto the device.

For my setup this worked perfectly giving me extra storage space on the card for MP3 files etc etc Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: