Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Note To TomTom: Please Fix Your Routing Engine
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Note To TomTom: Please Fix Your Routing Engine
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spent a fair bit of time comparing routes calculated from TomTom using various map versions from both Tele Atlas and Navteq and my conclusion is that you can never be sure that the quickest route according to TomTom is really the qickest route. Which route TomTom suggests as quickest seems to be closely related to the map version, which makes sense. After all, it's the properties of the road sements along the route that are used as input to the routing engine. I would guess that the routing engines used in different sat nav systems are quite similar but it's the map data that differs.

The best way to pick the best route is probably to use different map sites on the internet before you set off and check which route they suggest. If TomTom suggests a completely different route I would create an itinerary in TomTom to force it to use the route I believe is better. The GUI for itineraries has been improved in Navecore 7 and it's now much easier to check a planned route from your couch.

A final conclusion that has been stated already by other people on the forum is that TomTom will, with very few exceptions, take you to your desired destination even though it might not always be the quickest or optimal route. That must be the main purpose of the product, right?

/Ulf

PS: I too agree that it's unfortunate that the map data in newer map versions often result in less accurate route calculations. Hopefully the map share feature will be improved such that we will be able to communicate our experiences more easily back to TomTom and the map provider
Garmin GPSMap 60CSx (SW ver. 3.70)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajsasr wrote:
I disagree. I think the units are smart enough to know not to have me take an exit, cross a road and then take the on ramp back to the same highway I just got off of.

I disagree too.
That is EXACTLY what it will do if it thinks it is quicker (or shorter, if that is what you have it set to)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: