Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Note To TomTom: Please Fix Your Routing Engine
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Note To TomTom: Please Fix Your Routing Engine
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajsasr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Note To TomTom: Please Fix Your Routing Engine Reply with quote

I've been studying, reviewing, and comparing gps units for a couple months now in preparation for a purchase. I compared everything from interface, maps, features, and the implementation of said features. After weighing the pros and cons of what I consider the 3 major players in the game (Garmin, TomTom, and Magellan), I decided on TomTom. I fealt that after weighing all the differnt abilities of all the devices, The Go 720 was the best bang for the buck at $348.

I feel the TomTom GUI is clean, clear and easy to view. Compared to Garmin, which I feel looks like my 5 year old son got a hold of some magic markers and went to town. Magellan has a nice interface, but the implemenation of their features left it in a distance third.

I fealt the amount of features per dollar is where TomTom really shines. There units are packed with great features. The other two...well..just aren't. That all being said, I guess I tried to explain away the one flaw TomTom has, their routing engine.

I read all the reviews, and tried to draw my own conclu...err excuse why it wouldn't be the same with me because I'd figure out a way for it to work (routing engine issues). I was blinded by the beauty of the device and all the rich features it had. As much as I still try I can't, in good conscience, "explain away" all the routing issues the TomTom engine has in it. So this is my Christmas wish for TomTom. Please...PLEASE fix your routing engine so that we all can enjoy your beautiful devices.

An example for those who might doubt. I live in Northern Alabama, about an hour from Birmingham. Yesterday I went to dinner at PF Chang's at the Summit in Birmingham. Since I've only been there a couple of times I figured this was a great chance to use my new Go 720. Well I knew as much to know that I needed to stay on 65 South, and then head East on 20 once I reach Birmingham. Well the TT routing engine thought differently wanting me to get off well north of Birmingham and then using a secondary highway for the last 1/4 of the trip. This would take me through the heart of Birmingham...not the best route to take to say the least.

Route It Should Take

Route It Took

Is it the fastest route? Well maybe in theory, but not in practice. A simple feature that allows us to use higways as much as possible would fix this.

Another thing I noticed, and others can try. I decided to demo the route, and just see where it had me going. Hey TomTom, your routing engine will get me a ticket is I stay on schedule!!! All throughout the route demo the unit runs at speeds ABOVE the speed limit!!!
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the demo runs fast so your not sat there for 2 hours if the want to demo a long route you would want to try at those speeds as for the routing is yes in theorey it is faster then it is doing the righ thing its instructions are to b used as advice if you know a beter way then take you better route sooner or later it will catch up with you

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
ajsasr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
the demo runs fast so your not sat there for 2 hours if the want to demo a long route you would want to try at those speeds as for the routing is yes in theorey it is faster then it is doing the righ thing its instructions are to b used as advice if you know a beter way then take you better route sooner or later it will catch up with you

I know the demos run faster. So if what you are saying is true then if I set the demo speed to 100% it should not go above the speed limit. Well I tried that and it does still go 5 miles above the speed limit.

As for whether or not I should take a better route if I know it or not, I think that's an excuse. I shouldn't have to make that guess. The logic and AI should be built into the system
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajsasr wrote:
I know the demos run faster. So if what you are saying is true then if I set the demo speed to 100% it should not go above the speed limit. Well I tried that and it does still go 5 miles above the speed limit.
The Demo mode is not limited to the speed limit so whatever speed it decides to use is of little importance, Demo mode can be used to show you the route through a complex city road network prior to you encountering in, but in reality it is best left alone for the shops to use running demo routes automatically all day.

ajsasr wrote:
As for whether or not I should take a better route if I know it or not, I think that's an excuse. I shouldn't have to make that guess. The logic and AI should be built into the system
If you know best ignore the sat Nav, local knowledge will always defeat the little grey box, however what happens when you are wanting to get to an unknown destination, OK it might not be the very best route (using local knowledge) but if you don't have this local knowledge the device will still get you to where you need to be, add in the speed camera warnings and POI categories to locate food/ fuel stops in remote locations where at times you have probably never been before....... - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
what happens when you are wanting to get to an unknown destination, OK it might not be the very best route (using local knowledge) but if you don't have this local knowledge the device will still get you to where you need to be
Very true - and I speak from experience - I drive in excess of 5,000 miles a month, always from A to B, with A being wherever I'm starting out from and B being wherever somebody sends me. From time to time, I go to somewhere I've been before, but usually it's somewhere new, where I don't have local knowledge. And even so, who can be SURE of local knowledge - for a long time, I've used a particular route to a local pickup point in town. One day, I decided, just for kicks to follow my TomTom instead. I was amazed that it took me a faster route through the centre of town and have adopted that route ever since! It's not always right, but it's so good I have recently stopped carrying a big box full of paper street maps (something like thirty of them).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya, TomTom! (shush, I know)

Please be advised that it is not recommended to go 65mph over Country Roads, even though they are listed as Country Highway in your database. Assuming otherwise will lead to seriously effed up routing. KTHXBAI.

ajsasr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
mikealder wrote:
what happens when you are wanting to get to an unknown destination, OK it might not be the very best route (using local knowledge) but if you don't have this local knowledge the device will still get you to where you need to be
Very true - and I speak from experience - I drive in excess of 5,000 miles a month, always from A to B, with A being wherever I'm starting out from and B being wherever somebody sends me. From time to time, I go to somewhere I've been before, but usually it's somewhere new, where I don't have local knowledge. And even so, who can be SURE of local knowledge - for a long time, I've used a particular route to a local pickup point in town. One day, I decided, just for kicks to follow my TomTom instead. I was amazed that it took me a faster route through the centre of town and have adopted that route ever since! It's not always right, but it's so good I have recently stopped carrying a big box full of paper street maps (something like thirty of them).

A very good point. You will eventually get to point B, and that's my big struggle. I love my Go 720. The only other alternative in my mind is the Nuvi 660. But that means another 165 dollars for in my mind an inferior product when it comes to features and GUI. And to add another layer to this, just because a 400 to 500 mile route looks better on paper (or screen for that matter), doesn't mean once you start down the road it will be better. Decisions, decisions...
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajsasr wrote:
The only other alternative in my mind is the Nuvi 660.
Without trying it, who's to say it won't take you the same way.

It might get that particular one right, but another location may be just as bad.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a Nuvi 660FM and decided it was exactly as you said - designed by a five year old with a new box of magic markers and the interface just didn't come anywhere near the TT720.

Simply remember you're dealing with a computer here - tell it to use highways and it will use highways, tell it to go fastest route and it will do exactly that. All according to the information - the map data - available to it. The map data does not include information that some routes will be a nightmare when school's out or on a national holiday weekend.

OK, so I haven't tried anything else (except the ill fated Nuvi for one day), but my experiences for the last two and a half years with Tom Tom GO devices has been great and I have enormous confidence in them. If I got "it" right as often as they do, I'd be well pleased.

When I get rich, I'll come to the USA and hire a car with a TomTom GO and hope to drive through beautiful roads like the picture above.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
ajsasr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
ajsasr wrote:
The only other alternative in my mind is the Nuvi 660.
Without trying it, who's to say it won't take you the same way.

It might get that particular one right, but another location may be just as bad.

My experience is that Nuvi and Google Maps tend to have the same routes.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajsasr wrote:
My experience is that Nuvi and Google Maps tend to have the same routes.
Probably because they both use Navteq Maps. Shocked

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Google Maps used BOTH Navteq and Tele Atlas.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Not when I looked just now. Wink

http://maps.google.com/

ajsasr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:

Google Earth uses Tele Atlas, Google Maps use Navteq.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: