Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Show Route Demo - Problem - Tomtom Go 920T
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Show Route Demo - Problem - Tomtom Go 920T

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iainh23
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Show Route Demo - Problem - Tomtom Go 920T Reply with quote

I am new to these forums having bought my 1st sat nav system just last week, it is a TomTom Go 920 and it was bought for the purpose of a USA Road Trip that we are doing in September.

I have used the sat nav with no problems this last week here in the UK just to test it and I have it synced to my PC right now and have been testing a few things, saving POI's along our route in the USA and just getting to grips with things.

The problem I am having is that we have one long drive on our road trip which is from out of, Las Vegas and down into a town called Fresno in California, the trip is around 400 miles and so I put the details into the TomTom and the route looks pretty much what I see on a standard map, no problems there.

The actual problem comes when I try and use the "Show Route Demo" as I wanted to use this to see where fuel/food and rest stops would be using the preset POI's but the route demo only runs the 1st 100 miles or so then it just loops around and starts again.

Is this normal and is there a route limit on the "Show Route Demo" option or is there a setting I can change to make it longer anywhere (I have looked and cant see on, allthough like I say I am new to this)

If anyone can help me with this I would be very grateful and this would be really usefull for helping plan our trip and to be honest its driving me mad and seems a useless addition to the sat nav if you can only run short trips through this particular demo.
Allen_EP
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not an expert but I do think that the length of the demo would depend on the amount of free memory.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a limit on the length of the route demo, I don't recall what that limit is but it may be 100 miles.

It is just a demo function, it is not intended to replay an entire route fro planning purposes. You can however preview a planned route as a series of snapshots of turns etc and view the route on the map.
iainh23
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
There is a limit on the length of the route demo, I don't recall what that limit is but it may be 100 miles.

It is just a demo function, it is not intended to replay an entire route fro planning purposes. You can however preview a planned route as a series of snapshots of turns etc and view the route on the map.

Darren,

Thank you for confirming that, it does loop round after about 100 miles and so that sounds right, I was just wondering if maybe I hade missed something but obviously not.

I have looked at the routes with the route snapshots etc and the route is listed fine, it just seemed handy being able to use the "Show Route Demo" as it showed up with the petrol station/restaraunts and stop off points etc but not to worry and at least now I know its not something I was doing wrong.

Suppose I could break the route up into 4x100 mile sections or so and plan it that way though.

Many thanks for the help though and for the quick response, its much appreciated :D
kissinuk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iainh23 wrote:
Darren wrote:

Darren,

Thank you for confirming that, it does loop round after about 100 miles and so that sounds right, I was just wondering if maybe I hade missed something but obviously not.

I have looked at the routes with the route snapshots etc and the route is listed fine, it just seemed handy being able to use the "Show Route Demo" as it showed up with the petrol station/restaraunts and stop off points etc but not to worry and at least now I know its not something I was doing wrong.

Suppose I could break the route up into 4x100 mile sections or so and plan it that way though.

Many thanks for the help though and for the quick response, its much appreciated :D

You could always use the 'browse map' option to see the route and all the POI's you mentioned.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iainh23 wrote:

That's exactly what I was going to suggest...
I think the demo function was really only put in so that shops could show a moving display.
Johnny_D
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to confirm what others have said. I think it only demo's a % age of the route.

Just planned a route for the weekend from Suffolk to Surrey and it only takes me around 40ish miles into the route.... About 35% I'd say.

So I think it's a % of the route.

JD
Bloody Superb PGPSW Camera Database.
Not much else!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: