Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - False alerts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

False alerts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bondi699
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: False alerts Reply with quote

Hi
As I'm still pretty new to all this can someone please help? I have a Garmin nuvi310 onto which I have loaded the consolidated camera data base. My problem is that I'm getting a lot of false alerts, I receive alerts for cameras that are not on the road I'm traveling on & also when approaching fixed cameras that are not targeting my side of the road, the fixed Gatso type that can't be turned around. Am I expecting too much from this unit or should it be able to recognize the direction which the cameras are pointed.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
when approaching fixed cameras that are not targeting my side of the road

This is normal. The unit can't use the directional data to know when a camera is facing the right way.

Quote:
I receive alerts for cameras that are not on the road I'm traveling on

This is normal when not in Navigation Mode. This is because the camera alerts work on a Proximity (distance) basis, so it'll alert you to any cameras you are near. In Navigation Mode it should only alert you to those "on route".
bondi699
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply.
That makes things alot clearer.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: False alerts Reply with quote

First check that you're running the latest (V3.9) firmware and using POI Loader V2.4.2 (one of those definitely changed the behaviour of my Nüvi 310)

There are three different types of Alert - only two of which can be set using POI Loader - the third requires the GPI Creator (aka Content Toolkit).

TourGuide Alerts are true circles - regardless of roads or any other features. These are set by having an mp3 file associated with a POI, whose name contains the case-sensitive phrase "TourGuide".

The default alert type is described as "Along Road". The alert distances for these are computed along the road you are travelling not as the Crow Flies. In Navigation Mode, the Nüvi can look-ahead down the pre-planned route and give you the alert at the specified distance. In Map mode it cannot do this - it can only look at the road you are currently on.
This can give some surprises when you turn onto a new road and are given an alert at a much shorter distance than you specified. Also, for an alert of this type to trigger at all, it has to be within about 75' of the road (but remember a road is defined as a series of Points in the map, not a line - so the 75' is not necessarily measured from the centre of the road).

By way of example, the street my house is on, is a dead-end. Say I specify a 2 mile alert. If I hit the "Go Home" button and route towards my house, I will get an alert at 2 miles "By Road". If, OTOH, I'm in map mode, I won't get an alert until I turn onto the street - i.e. at about 100yards!. (and in map mode, if I drive past the end of the street, I won't get an alert at all).

The third type of alert, makes use of "Alert Circles". I'm still experimenting, but from what I understand so far, it seems you have to pass through the circles in the correct order. These can thus be used to specify directional alerts. This is presumably what the Garmin (Cyclops) camera database uses. Pocketgpsworld could make use of the GPI Creator and alert circles to produce a directional database.

They could also make use of its 'locked content' function, to encrypt the content of the file and lock it to an individual unit....
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: False alerts Reply with quote

PhilHornby wrote:

the third requires the GPI Creator (aka Content Toolkit).
The third type of alert, makes use of "Alert Circles". I'm still experimenting, but from what I understand so far, it seems you have to pass through the circles in the correct order. These can thus be used to specify directional alerts. This is presumably what the Garmin (Cyclops) camera database uses. Pocketgpsworld could make use of the GPI Creator and alert circles to produce a directional database.

They could also make use of its 'locked content' function, to encrypt the content of the file and lock it to an individual unit....

i'll have a look into that...

MaFt
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: False alerts Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

i'll have a look into that...

MaFt
It's a bit of a frustrating exercise at the moment - Garmin have a 'Developer's Forum', but there's no input from Garmin (not on the Content Toolkit anyway.)
The Evaluation Agreement includes a 'Non-Disclosure Agreement', so I can't even say what it is I would like Garmin's input on !!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: