Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Vista and maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Vista and maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theopental
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Vista and maps Reply with quote

Hi

I have found a good deal on a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx

Im not sure what kind of base map it comes with
Ive heard its a bit rubbish
Its main use will be following routes Ive uploaded from a PC thus good definition of footpaths and bridleways is essential

Much as Id love the standard Garmin map to do it I have budgeted for an external such as memory map or Anquet

Annoyingly I live on the border of 2 OS zones, however Anquet do a 1:25000 map that would suit me, the only thing is I have no experience or knowledge of Anquet so opinions welcome here.

Finally if I go away from my usual area will the Garmin map have enough information for basic navigation of roads and paths or is it just rubbish?
What I mean is will it work as basic road nav up to a point

Cheers
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The basic map will not have any footpaths or contours on it - you would need to put the UK Topo maps on it. But these leave a lot to be desired for serious walking.

Using something like Anquet or Memory Map on a PDA gives you much better mapping but PDAs are not suited to outdoor activities without additional protection and increased battery power. personally I prefer to use a basic GPS (Garmin GPS60 in my case) and use Anquet or Memory Map (I have both) to produce customised paper maps with the routes/waypoints printed on. I have used a PDA for quick check on position - very useful when crossing Kinder Scout in the clouds with five metre visibility.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Vista and maps Reply with quote

theopental wrote:
Annoyingly I live on the border of 2 OS zones, however Anquet do a 1:25000 map that would suit me, the only thing is I have no experience or knowledge of Anquet so opinions welcome here.
If you were to use Memory Map there is always the option for a "custom map" this is supplied covering an area you define, this can be very handy when presented with living on a border area for your map. OS do the same service for paper maps, its a service few people seem to have knowledge of though.

As Phil has said, a PDA with Memory Map (or similar) is great if you offer it additional protection etc. By installing Topo maps for walking and a road navigation package for in car use the one device can excel at both applications. One other product to have a look at is the SatMap active 10, this is great for off-road/ walking, but offers no in car guidance - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: