Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom TMC antenna -- horizontal or vertical?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom TMC antenna -- horizontal or vertical?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just ordered the Carcomm holder. Will report back when it arrives...
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a follow-up to my post re patchy reception in the North-West, today I've had the best experience with TMC to date...

I'm using a NavMan S90i with a Y-splitter from my car antenna.

Young Mr Alder has said many times that reception in the Blackpool area is virtually non-existent and I would normally concur with that. However today I have driven from Carnforth (north Lancs), down the M6 to Preston, then took the M55 to Lytham, then on to the centre of Blackpool and all the way back again. Not once did I lose TMC. This is in stark contrast to my experiences since November where Carnforth has been just about the only place on that route that I could consistently get a signal.

Admittedly the signal strength anywhere south of Lancaster is still quite weak but for the first time ever I started picking up the Winter Hill transmitter (101.1 MHz) when I got close to Preston - that's never happened before.

So what's changed? Well the weather today has been sunny, dry and pretty cloudless. So perhaps that backs up my theory that atmospheric conditions can have a significant effect on TMC reception.

Or perhaps the TMC outages experienced by people in the south and midlands last week were part of some sort of nationwide upgrade programme...?

--

Cheers,

Dave
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atmospherics are the most probable reason for this, but you cannot have been receiving data from Winter Hill as it hasn't been added to the iTIS network as yet (still waiting) Winter Hill will be either 100,4 or 105,4 when it is enabled.
The reception you had using 101,1 was actually from Holme Moss which is a considerable distance away from where you were travelling - Mike
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Atmospherics are the most probable reason for this, but you cannot have been receiving data from Winter Hill as it hasn't been added to the iTIS network as yet (still waiting) Winter Hill will be either 100,4 or 105,4 when it is enabled.
The reception you had using 101,1 was actually from Holme Moss which is a considerable distance away from where you were travelling - Mike

Ah, yes, sorry, Holme Moss, not Winter Hill. Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: