Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - From Navman ICN 520 to TomTom One V3.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

From Navman ICN 520 to TomTom One V3.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kcw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: From Navman ICN 520 to TomTom One V3. Reply with quote

Hi All,
I have been a Navman user for a few years now firstly with the ICN 510 & then with the ICN 520.
Never having used sat navs before I was reasonably happy with the products though I must say the way Navman treated customers did phase me a little. For example the way we were promised a software upgrade for the 520 & being hopeful it would include a full postcode search facility and then this not materializing. There were a few problems with the 520 that have all been mentioned by owners before here - low volume etc.
My wife has been pestering me for ages about what I want for crimbo and as she is an avid QVC veiwer she pointed out last weekend that they had a TomTom One V3 on. As QVC have a very good returns policy I decided to order one to have a look. I was just over £120 with a free case.
All I can say is WOW what an improvement on Navman.

I know there are many loyal Navman users out there but when I look at all the options on the TomTom and this being their base model as it were I am truly impressed. The mapshare facility ensureing that any map descepencies ensures that maps are as accurate as possible and the whole user interface seems much more logically thought out to me.

So for all you 520 users loike me who were `happy` with the 520 why not just have a look at the TomTom One and see if you are as impressed as I am. ( I have no connection with TomTom and say this as a customer only).
Aikidoana
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
When the iCN 510/520 series was launched NAVMAN didnt have the full postcode function and no service pack was planned to make the iCN 510/520 series full postcode compatible.

The only device that was launched after the iCN 510 /520 was the iCN 530, then the iCN 700, F series, N series and now S series.

One thing you can count on is the good customer service, at least you do not have to wait an enternity on the phopne, remember TOMTOM is based in Holland, Navman is in Surrey.

I had a Tomtom and hated its bulkey brick like look.

Give me Navman any day..
kcw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Aikidona,

Obviously everyone is going to have their own opinion and I am voicing mine. I have had little experience of Navman support and none of TomToms.
With regard to the software update that was hopefully going to give full post code search capability I am sure it was around this time ish last year that a promised upgrade was due. There was some debate as to whether it would be free or not - the majority thought not.
I know full post code search was not available when I first got the ICN 510 or the 520 but it was some what frustrating to find new models coming from Navman almost monthly ( it seemed that way though I guess probably that frequently ) and it became increasingly clearer that no upgrade was going to come.
I guess what I am trying to say is that my `out of the box ` experience with the TomTom has been very good.
kcw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry Aikidoana didn`t mean to get the spelling wrong.
kcw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have been using my TomTom One V3 for nearly a week now and I must say it is as good as my initial thoughts. Probably the most noticeable is having up to date accurate maps - I know I could have bought some from Navman for my ICN 520 but they would have cost nearly as much as the new TomTom. I have not missed being told to `proceed to the nearest road` because my Navman thinks I am in a field !. Its nice to have a clear voice telling me directions at a volume I can hear. A loud warning for speed cameras that is different from the sound the Navman regularly made when it lost its GPS fix.
To put the top hat on it, my wife yesterday sold my 520 for £95 on Ebay ! ( I did have a remote, extra car bracket and charger ) but this made the whole transition a cost effective move.
frmarcus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the problem with updating the maps on my Navman 510 is the cost: £99 versus a whole new system from TomTom for little more. Navman really needs to reduce considerably the cost of its map upgrades if it wants customers to continue using it and not defecting to other companies when customers want recent maps.
kcw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi frmarcus,

I don`t know if Navman will ever take any notice. I note that users of the N** range are waiting for map upgrades. One date for the promised upgrade has come and gone already. I remember users of other Navman ranges also waiting for maps or software upgrades that in the end never came.
Concentrating on bringing out new models with new bells and whistles is great for new GPS users buying their first unit but what about the loyal users who have earlier ranges ?.
Sorry Navman, TomTom have me now and I wonder how many others have gone the same way !.
obeone
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spot on KCW
I also had the 520, generally I found it excellent when I needed it (infrequent user) but latterly got fed up of the wrong directions when I needed them most. No way I was going to pay £99 for an upgrade.

Now the proud owner of a TT one XL for £132, what a piece of kit!
Rapid GPS fix & plenty of 'bells & whistles'
Just installed USA maps for £35 as well. Bargain
The only thing I miss is the 520 colour scheme. TT's look abit washed out by comparison.
Found a web site that posts different schemes, better but not quite right.
Think Navman need to pull their socks up!
kcw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi obeone,
Glad you like your TT as I do. As I only have the UK V3 and not the XL I am not sure if you have the option to choose on of 4 loaded day time colour options although I know none of mine match the 520 scheme.
As for Navman getting their act together I just can`t see it, they don`t seem to be interested in looking after the customers of their earlier models they seem to be focusing on developing new models all the time - great if you are new to sat-nav but frustrating for `loyal customers` who they seem not to care about looking after by offering map & software updates at reasonable costs and when they are promised. From my TT experience it`s great to see that not all sat-nav companies are the same - in my opinion !.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: