Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map Updates via mapshare
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map Updates via mapshare
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjgreaves
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Map Updates via mapshare Reply with quote

got this from tomtom:

Quote:
Customer 30/11/2007 06.29 PM
why wait for more people to report it, when I have reported AND sent you the plans for it?

what more do you need to beleve me its there? pictures, maybe a small film from a video recorder?

this is

Response (Zoe Z. (UK)) 30/11/2007 08.18 AM

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.

As mentioned previously, the corrections need to be reported by a number of people and then confirmed by TomTom surveyors. Once it has been confirmed the correction will then be offered to you as an update as long as you have joined the Map Share community.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Customer 29/11/2007 06.18 PM
these have still not been updated on my map. please advise?

Response (Zoe Z. (UK)) 27/11/2007 12.43 PM

Thank you for the map data feedback.

With Best Regards

Customer 23/11/2007 07.16 PM
Here are the plans for the new link road, which is now open, I have reported this to you, but you are waiting for more poeple to report it?

beggar's belief....

http://www.lancscc.gov.uk/environment/env_highways/roads/eavesgreen/plans/genplan.htm

as for the modelling on the roundabouts on kirkam bypass, I have now given up on this change. maybe one day I will see this (most likely on Garmin first)

Response (Zoe Z. (UK)) 23/11/2007 03.17 PM

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support with regards to your map updates.

When you report map corrections it needs to be reported by a number of customers and then confirmed by TomTom and will then be available for you to download on your map version 705.

With Best Regards

Customer 21/11/2007 05.26 PM
so, 2 months later, where is this update? is it on v710 of the maps, but acording to tomtom home I have the latest version of 705?

do the map updates go on both versions of the map, or just the newer one, which I don't have an I am expected to pay £39 just over a month after purchase of my 720?

why is garmin have free map updates for a year?

Response (Zoe Z. (UK)) 21/11/2007 03.06 PM

May we apologise for the delay in responding to your query.

If it was added as a correction it should be saved to your device. If you reported the roundabout it will then be sent to our database, when you connect to a computer, and checked ny our team. Once the correction has been confirmed it will be available as an update when you next connect to the computer.

With Best Regards

Customer 16/11/2007 05.48 PM
so the roundabout I added last month via mapshare, where is this? I doesn't appear on my map?

Response (Zoe Z. (UK)) 16/11/2007 09.36 AM

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support with regards to your map.

It was not possible to update your map via Map Share 12 months ago. It is now possible on our new maps with Map Share capabilities to correct your own map and also to report map corrections to the Map Share community. Once you join the Map Share community every time you connect your device to the computer you will receive small updates for your map and share your own reported updates.

For more information please go to www.tomtom.com/7244 or consult your manual.

With Best Regards

Customer 15/11/2007 05.39 PM
so, if I understand this correctly, I update the map via mapshare eg the new roundabout on kirkam bypass, which I did 12 months ago, and then again last month. but this doesn't show untill the next map update, but there has just been an update? so I have provided the information to you and teleatlas, and now I get to pay to see this on the next map?

something is wrong here?
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think new roads or sustantial changes (eg roundabout added) were pushed out through mapshare - only changes to existing roads. I felt that anything on the "report" option was for them to be aware of for the next map version.

Of course I could be wrong as the replies above make no mention of the type of change you reported.

Has anyone found a change like this being passed out through mapshare?
Brodit ProClip mount
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything I have learnt or read about Mapshare leads me to believe the TomTom representative here is talking absolute Bo***cks.

Mapshare as it stands cannot change any of the drawn mapping, only change attributes of existing roads.
You are merely providing free information for them to (maybe) include on a future map for you to BUY. Evil or Very Mad

Please prove me wrong, TomTom....
vibeone
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Map Updates via mapshare Reply with quote

rjgreaves wrote:
got this from tomtom:

Quote:
why wait for more people to report it, when I have reported AND sent you the plans for it?

what more do you need to beleve me its there? pictures, maybe a small film from a video recorder?

this is

frankly I wouldn't have bothered replying to you at all with that attitude.

and regardless of whether you include plans or not, if only you had reported a change, I'd be absolutely livid if they included it on updates on your say so.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
You are merely providing free information for them to (maybe) include on a future map for you to BUY. Evil or Very Mad

Please prove me wrong, TomTom....

Don't be too hard on them - that's the way we do the cameras here, isn't it?

However, they could do to take a leaf out of PGPSW's book and offer free map updates for life in the same circumstances as we do the cameras?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I object to is the impression that they give in their advertising and marketing, which leads you to believe Mapshare offers MUCH more than it actually delivers.

To then have a TomTom service rep compounding that by telling absolute untruths about what Mapshare is capable of, is just plain wrong!

PGPSW doesn't make wildly exaggerated claims about that the Camera database can do and then ignore all the new submissions on the next release anyway.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
What I object to is the impression that they give in their advertising and marketing, which leads you to believe Mapshare offers MUCH more than it actually delivers.

To then have a TomTom service rep compounding that by telling absolute untruths about what Mapshare is capable of, is just plain wrong!
Double here, here (here, here) Andy. I could hardly believe my ears the other night when the TT rep spouted on QVC and these stupid replies that Mapshare takes care of updates are beyond belief.

rjgreaves
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Map Updates via mapshare Reply with quote

vibeone wrote:
rjgreaves wrote:
got this from tomtom:

Quote:

this is

and regardless of whether you include plans or not, if only you had reported a change, I'd be absolutely livid if they included it on updates on your say so.

attitiude? they feed you lies and are you meant to put up with it????

the whole setup stinks.

as for my update, just because I'm the only one that that has reported it you don't want the map updating?

livid? your a clown.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Map Updates via mapshare Reply with quote

rjgreaves wrote:
vibeone wrote:
rjgreaves wrote:
got this from tomtom:

Quote:

this is

attitiude? they feed you lies and are you meant to put up with it????

the whole setup stinks.

as for my update, just because I'm the only one that that has reported it you don't want the map updating?

livid? your a clown.
Calm down a bit folks - let's not wind up and let's not get wound up please.

vibeone
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be clear and calm:

No rjgreaves I would not want any updates applying to a map on your say so alone. Simple as that.
1952kev
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On that point vibeone, I have my map correction preference set as "accept changes reported by many"

But how many is many? Rolling Eyes

Taking it a bit further, the final option is "changes reported by some"................what is the sum of some? Shocked

We ought to be informed what these ambiguous phrases actually mean.

How many people would we want/need to point out a change before we accepted it as correct?
Fibre
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

over the past 4 years I have reported 8 changes to local roads in the area..
There have been two updates of maps and still don't have them on... one is a road where my mother has been living on an estate for ten years..

we have a push pin in a field for her house.. Embarassed

I would have thought that a road at least 10 years old would have been caught by "the system"
unwanted
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mapshare was implimented for one reason and one reason only...

to help TomTom reduce its cost paying another company for Mapdata, which they can gain from its users for free, which in the long term TomTom will gain extra Money for new maps...

I wouldnt be surprised if at a later date you will have to also subscribe to Mapshare and use it...

btw: I do subscribe to PGPS Speed Camera Database and think it is very good, plus I am not funding TomTom with more of my cash...
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unwanted wrote:
Mapshare was implimented for one reason and one reason only...

to help TomTom reduce its cost paying another company for Mapdata, which they can gain from its users for free
Judging by their current level of competence, they have a VERY long way to go before they can derive any value from it. Not only do they obviously NOT have the skill resources, they haven't got the ability to do it properly.

Bird_FAT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject: Pay up! Reply with quote

As far as I've been able to work out unwanted you DO have to pay for the service after the first year!

Quote from the TomTom site:
With your new map, you will also enjoy 12 months’ TomTom Map Share™ that allows you to receive map enhancements from the entire Map Share community.

Nice money earner - if it works out! Still, I'm going to keep reporting any changes I find in the (small as it may be) hope that eventually the ... (world will be a better palce, and ... OOPS, carried away there!!!) ... future maps that we all buy have some of them added in/taken out.

At the end of the day, if we all give up on this, then we can't really complain if TomTom don't have all the map corrections that we expect - after all, they are not creating the maps, just buying them off others! And how many people are these others employing to get the data? They are a business and need to make their product financially viable for themselves, so they can't be employing millions of workers, can they?

So let's all give TomTom a chance and see how this Map Share goes - if nothing seems to have changed after my year free is up (I'll keep a note of all my changes), then I won't be paying to continue the service, will I?!

Nuff said,

Bird

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: