Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SD problems since 7.161 patch
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SD problems since 7.161 patch
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wibbly
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: SD problems since 7.161 patch Reply with quote

I now use an Extreme III 2GB card in a TT1 V2. It has worked fine.

I updated to 7.16 and it worked fine. I added an Africa map and it was fine. I then added the latest (small) OS patch and 710 Euro maps (to get the map editing features) at roughly the same time.

Now the TT randomly fails to start (the on buttin has NO visible effect). If I pull the SD card it starts and I can reinsert and then it runs fine. Until the next time. As the card worked to start I can only imagine a driver update in the lastest firmware in the TT has created a problem?

Anyone else seen this or have any advice?
Snudge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve got a One XL and recently updated to map 710. It all worked ok but I had a problem downloading the QuickGPSfix. I downloaded app 7.161 to see if that made a difference, which it didn’t, but I then had a problem not starting unless I removed and reinserted SD card. It doesn’t do it every time but it sounds like we may have the same problem.
I was going to restore to 7.131 to see if it was the app. but haven't done that yet.
Infama
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upgrading to 7.161 on my 910 solved the TMC problem, but now the unit wont start unless connected to a power source, even with a full battery.

Another bug needs fixing!
wibbly
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom doing thorough pre-release testing then!

Well, the fix DID sort the slow TTF problem it claimed to for me, but has clearly broken something to do with the start-up sequence.

- Only way to downgrade is via a backup, right?

- And Home V2 now doesn't maintain any backup history, so you have to do that manually, right?

Sigh :-(

Double sigh :-((
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wibbly wrote:

- And Home V2 now doesn't maintain any backup history

You're not still using Home for your backups, are you? It must be the most often repeated bit of advice on the forum... Use Explorer.
Then you can put each backup straight into a folder named with the date and whatever else you feel is relevant (straight out of the box, new software version, just BEFORE a new software version, etc.).
Once you've got a few, burn them to a DVD and start again.
wibbly
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I'm not for 'proper' backups. But it's a handy 'quick backup', if you see what I mean. Has the TomTom backup been provem to be unrestorable, or is it just that the backup strategy of Home is a bit, well, anal...?
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about the latest versions of Home as I don't use it for backups, but with earlier versions it was reported that it didn't backup all the files and directories. As such it was not able to do a full restore.
I personally use a commercial backup program to do it.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: SD problems since 7.161 patch Reply with quote

wibbly wrote:
Now the TT randomly fails to start (the on buttin has NO visible effect). If I pull the SD card it starts and I can reinsert and then it runs fine. Until the next time. As the card worked to start I can only imagine a driver update in the lastest firmware in the TT has created a problem?

Exactly the same thing happened to me when I put 7.161 onto the XL.

If you do a full reset, it fixes the problem.

Make sure device is fully charged - remove SD card - press reset button for 15 seconds - turn on - replace SD card.
Brodit ProClip mount
wibbly
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: SD problems since 7.161 patch Reply with quote

GerryC wrote:

I will try again but that didn't fix it when I tried before...
Infama
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: SD problems since 7.161 patch Reply with quote

GerryC wrote:
wibbly wrote:

Exactly the same thing happened to me when I put 7.161 onto the XL.

Make sure device is fully charged - remove SD card - press reset button for 15 seconds - turn on - replace SD card.

I have to do it a few times, but it worked for me!!!
Snudge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip about doing a reset Gerry but out of interest what does this actually do to the device? Also, is there a difference between a reset where you hold the button in for 15 secs and a reset where you just push the button and immediately let it go? I can only see a ref on TomTom site for the 15 sec reset.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TT is never really off, just resting (cue parrot jokes) That's how the on off button still works.
The reset button forces a CPU reset and re-loads the program.

*I* think the "15 second" reset is exactly the same as a quick jab, but does it "better"! (i.e. a quick jab might not give the system time to completely empty it's memory etc.). Willing to be proved wrong though!
wibbly
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also says press the on/off button for at least 5 seconds. That seems to bring up a diag screen whilst it's pressed that long too...

It could be this squence causes some variables help in RAM that survice a normal reset to to be wiped as reloaded - kind of the difference between a "warm" or "cold/hard" reset/boot
Snudge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so if the TomTom memory is corrupt then it stays that way even when switched off because as Andy says, it isn’t really off? The advice often given on here is ‘do a reset’ but until I read the link that Gerry posted I thought that just meant pushing the button. According to TomTom the SD card should be removed first so presumably that is so the program cannot reload until the memory is cleared?
Sometimes I’ve read that someone has done a reset but still got the problem. Is it possible that they didn’t remove the card first but if they had then the reset would have fixed it?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snudge wrote:
According to TomTom the SD card should be removed first so presumably that is so the program cannot reload until the memory is cleared?
Removing the SD Card also has the effect of forcing a Reset. This causes the System to re-read the Card, including the 'stay resident' portion.

However if the File(s) on the SD Card are corrupt it will always restart corrupted.

This is why TT sometimes advises removing all the files (not folders) in the Root of the Card and re-installing the software. The System requires 6 files (IIRC), all of them in the Root.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: