Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Hmm Spoken address eh?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Hmm Spoken address eh?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballistix wrote:
Fair enough. I don't post that much so a n00b. In this case his humour wasn't helpful to me but I take the point, it's more his forum than mine.
All he actually did was insinuate I was an idiot.

If I'm supposed to apologise for feeling that way then sorry.

Apparently I need a cspeech directory and I don't have one on my unit. Does anyone know how big this directory is and is it zippable and uploadable?

Regards,
T
NO WAY - 100% Load of ballistix! That's NOT Andy's style. What you are supposed to do is recognise that he was cracking a joke - what's the matter with your sense of humour?

I have two GO720s and neither of them has a "cspeech" directory.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
shaun43uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

I have two GO720s and neither of them has a "cspeech" directory.

its not a separate directory. there are 19 individual .dat files in the western europe folder.

Ive offered to zip these into a folder and upload to rapidshare providing its not against forum rules.
Ballistix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaun that would be excellent. Thank you VERY much!

Can you PM me the link please and I'll let you know when I have it.

Cheers
Ballistix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi OK sorry I didn't read it as a joke just...unhelpful. I've relaxed now and I understand the humour.

Cheers
T
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballistix wrote:

All he actually did was insinuate I was an idiot.

If I'm supposed to apologise for feeling that way then sorry.
T

I certainly never intended that, and if that's the way it came across then I apologise unreservedly.
In my defence, using "smilies" is a common (but occasionally misunderstood) shorthand way to flag the comment as light-hearted, or God-forbid, a joke.

What I was trying to get across was that as far as I know, there is no way to tell whether a unit is a Europe one or a US one other than a} the maps and b} whether it has speech recognition.

As Dennis says, I hate being completely flummoxed by a problem, but this one hasn't been seen before.
Ballistix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep I didn't intend to cause fuss or make fun of you either so sorry from this side too!

Hopefully Shaun can upload this zip file somewhere for me...it appears I don't have all the files I should have? :S it's all a bit odd though given I've reset it and downloaed the 7.020 version etc.

T
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballistix wrote:

Hopefully Shaun can upload this zip file somewhere for me...it appears I don't have all the files I should have? :S
T

Hope this gets it going for you, but it doesn't alter the fact that what you were sold doesn't seem a "proper" unit, which could have other differences/problems too.

Think carefully before you decide whether to send it back for a new one or try to improve what you've got. If you muck about with it too much, TomTom could refuse to admit there was anything wrong with it originally.

Quote:
it's all a bit odd though given I've reset it and downloaded the 7.020 version etc.

All that a software update will do is replace the basic system files with new ones. It won't replace anything that is in any of the folders on your unit. That's why making good backups as soon as you purchase the thing is so important.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And on that subject, GOs #1 to #5 were returned ONLY after returning them to original state by erase and copy original Windows Explorer backup.

Ballistix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the cspeech files in the Western_Europe folder, they are on in the UK and Northern Island folder...I have a backup and they are not in the back either. (Took a backup as soon as I got it).

I also didnt realise that I had to have a voice selected that had "Computer" capability too...done that!

So progress...

As a test I copied the cspeech files from the Western Europe and it now says "Please state City.." then whatever I say it doesn't do anything...So I'm closer and it asking for the City now!

Any ideas? :S

T
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHOUT AT THE DAMNED THING! It's not the best implementation of speech recognition you'll ever come across.

Notice the top right corner - when it's green, it's listening, so if nothing happens, try shouting again. Start with somewhere simple. It should then show a numbered list of towns it guesses you've said. You then speak the number of the town you want. If your town isn't listed, shout NO or BACK (sadly, there are NO instructions on how to do this speech bit, but I've found that works). Keep trying and eventually you'll get a success. After it gets the town, it asks for street name. Same principal - bully it with volume!! Again, shout the number of the successful one you want (or BACK). After it gets the street name, it asks for the house number. This you have to speak one number at a time, e.g. 15 is ONE, then when that shows, FIVE. If you get 15 correct, you shout OK. Sadly, you'll probably never get 15 correct - like I said, not the best implementation of speech recognition. So at that stage you'll find it easier to tap the numbers!! That stage is as far as it goes with speech recognition. You can input three items by speech ..
Town/City
Street
House number.
Then it's back to tapping. Some people have decided not to bother!

Yesterday I told it Middle Wallop and got it at the second attempt. But I didn't have a street name so I was jiggered!!!!

This feature is so potentially useful I do hope TomTom get to grips with it and extend it as soon as possible. There are already lots of such applications in word processing, so that's what they need to tap into. I'm surprised they didn't try to have postcode entry by it (simple really, using the phonetic pronunciation of the letters).

StanStill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats interesting about pixmania, I have just been researching a canon camcorder and came across this review on Amazon which does not show pixmania in a very good light.
See Here.

Link edited for Clarity - Oldboy
Kezman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a legit UK Market 520 and again like all of the other features, the speech recognition works sparadically. Sometimes it works, with, like has been said, a confirmation it has heard you by the lips blipping green. Other times no matter how loud (for me) I shout it just won't achknowledge you. You end up surrendering to the fact that on that particular switch on/Journey it's just not going to work and that perhaps it will work the next time you switch on!!

Consistancy with these machines needs to be addressed here because I agree the speech recog is a feature that has so much potential (and that feature can't be blamed on an unsupported mobile phone!), but, if a lot of the time the addittional features of the X20's don't work, then what's the point in buying them? You might as well go for a lesser model.
Sony eRICSSON K800i
Ballistix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Kezman. It's a joke frankly. That's the reason I bought the 720 (upgraded from a Go). Very annoyed about the fact it's so poor in fact , doesn't work!

Not fit for purpose is my initial reaction. I'm going to contact TomTom and see what they say about it...if Shaun can upload those files so I can try that too it would be great.

I'm guessing because it's asking for the City it is actually working even though it doesn't respond to me.

Cheers
T
Ballistix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be sure I'm not being a complet plonker here...I can see a mic on the machine anywhere..I'm not supposed to set anything else up am I? I should just be able to shout at the thing itself?
T
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you shout at the device you should see some screen activity in the top right corner, this will at least prove the microphone is working - the mic is under one of the two holes on the silver trim strip above the screen - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: