Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - FM Transmitter
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

FM Transmitter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shaun43uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: FM Transmitter Reply with quote

Currently the FM range we can select on the 720/520 is 87.9 to 107.9 is there any way I can edit the fmsignal file to include 87.7

The reason I ask this is because I drive from Coventry to London Monday to Friday and once I hit North London the FM transmitter become useless, my old FM transmitter could tune into 87.7 which was fine in London most of the time with just a few blackspots.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno, but I get away with 88.0 in most areas of London I've been to since I started using it.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
shaun43uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dennis I'll give 88.0 a try today failing that its back to listening to Sir Terry W.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: FM Transmitter Reply with quote

shaun43uk wrote:
Currently the FM range we can select on the 720/520 is 87.9 to 107.9 is there any way I can edit the fmsignal file to include 87.7

I think this is one of those cases where "If it was easy, they would have done it already"!
In other words, there's no logical reason to restrict the range, unless there's a technical reason why it has to be that way...
TerryUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: FM Transmitter Reply with quote

shaun43uk wrote:

The reason I ask this is because I drive from Coventry to London Monday to Friday and once I hit North London the FM transmitter become useless, my old FM transmitter could tune into 87.7 which was fine in London most of the time with just a few blackspots.

Hi shaun, like Dennis I am also using 88.0
So far between Birmingham and Bridgnorth its worked ok.
shaun43uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I tuned into 88.0 fm and all was fine till I got to junction 1 of the M1 then it was other broadcasts cutting in so I gave up.

I'd be interested to know how well the garmin nuvi 660 fm transmitter works in London.

Its annoying really cos the 2 main features I wanted when making my decision to go for the 720 were the hands free & FM transmitter to which both are pretty useless.

I guess my next option is to try bluetooth speakers, I know the 720 can be paired with more than one device but can it be paired with both bluetooth speakers and phone at the same time.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine the Nuvi 660FM being any different (I found it a little weaker, but I do have a volume control on the van tranny, so I upped that). I know little about these matters, but as I understand it, the device's FM transmitter has to be weak by law. Therefore an ordinary radio station will drown it out if you set it to a frequency which is used. Advice is offered to retune when that happens - as if you have nothing better to do in traffic than fiddle with two lumps to change frequencies!!! I got on well with 88.0 and when it suffered a lot, just quickly switched back to the 720's Internal Speaker.

Wait for Mikealder to spot this thread. I understand he has been diligently applying himself to the Bluetooth aspect. Last I heard was that quite clearly it's possible if only you could find compatible Bluetooth speakers for less than the value of whatever you're driving! It seems Tom Tom have chosen some obscure protocol (doesn't that sound knowledgeable - I don't know what I'm saying, just that BT speakers and 720 are a bit iffy).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: