Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A40 "Blocked" - Map Share is a Disaster!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A40 "Blocked" - Map Share is a Disaster!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
NEWS HEADLINES - GIRLIE WINS COMPETITION, SCOOPS GO720 PRIZE Recently, a girlie won the PGPSW prize of a GO720. It was a real, genuine working model too. She also was awarded a free latest map guarantee which worked and downloaded and installed a new map in approximately 17 seconds and it was the new Western and Central Europe map which nobody else can have unless they pay an enormous bribe to TomTom..

Don't you imagine falling out with Anita? - Damned good job she's not coming to the megga pgpsw pre-Christmas get together at the Windmill Inn, Four Marks, 8th December, otherwise she'd get all the free drinks!

Laughing

Dennis, I'd been meaning to put WE v705 back on the internal memory when I had time, so I've just done it, and I'm sure you'll be pleased to know that it shows the eastern section of the roundabout as two-way, and the M40 eastbound carriageway as two-way too!!

I wish I was coming to the megga pgpsw pre-Christmas get together at the Windmill Inn, Four Marks, 8th December, then you could try the hands-free on my 720 (which I've never used) - and hopefully find it's even worse than your 720 #1, #2, #3, #4 and #5. It would make me feel a lot better! Sad

Have a drink for me there, and I'll raise a glass to all staff, mods, verifiers and members of Pocket GPS World, at the Xmas 'do' I shall be at! Cheers!
Samsung Galaxy S21
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
With 710 W&CE maps and all correction options checked, everything is still correct at that roundabout. Confused
Except for the data bits on the stretch of the roundabout that crosses the Motorway at the South East side.

There appears to be a discrepancy in the 'Time to Travel' data that seems to be in minutes, instead of seconds. This forces it the 'faster' way via J14.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
Anita wrote:
With 710 W&CE maps and all correction options checked, everything is still correct at that roundabout. Confused
Except for the data bits on the stretch of the roundabout that crosses the Motorway at the South East side.

There appears to be a discrepancy in the 'Time to Travel' data that seems to be in minutes, instead of seconds. This forces it the 'faster' way via J14.

Sorry, I should have made it clear that I was only referring to the permitted directions of travel shown on the '(Un)block road' map correction screen. I haven't planned a route and checked the 'Time to Travel'.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well spotted Anita about the Eastbound carriageway being flagged as open westbound too. Dennis have you corrected that bit as well.

Just done both on my 705 map (soon to be replaced though, isn't it TT? Wink )
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Well spotted Anita about the Eastbound carriageway being flagged as open westbound too. Dennis have you corrected that bit as well.
Actually, it was GerryC reported that one. And I haven't done it yet, but will do so.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the corrections on the roundabout and Eastbound carriageway done and uploaded.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Actually, it was GerryC reported that one.

Very Happy.
Was just checking other roads around the area in case the errors were like buses.
Brodit ProClip mount
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:

That is the same conclusion that I have been arriving at. If you set a route one lap in the roundabout (750 m) TomTom estimates this drive to take 3 minutes which gives an average speed of 15 km/h. Admittedly it could take this long to drive through the roundabout in peak hour traffic, but in general you will of course go faster than that. This is the reason why TomTom thinks it's quicker to drive south on M40 to J14 and turn back onto M40 in northbound direction instead of going through the roundabout and take the 5th exit.

Out of plain curiosity I compared this roundabout with the the roundabout at M40 Junction 11 (Banbury) which has a similar layout. The road distance of one lap is 650 m according to TomTom and it's reported to take less than a minute. Interesting, right?

I have a similar example that shows the same type of map error, but not in a roundabout. Try set a route (shortest route) from N57.72036, E11.94517 to N57.72075, E11.94517. This is a distance of 50 m which, according to TomTom will take 5 minutes to drive. If you select quickest route, it makes a detour of 1.3 km which is said to take 2 minutes. Clearly the 'Time to Travel' data is completely wrong on this 50 long road segment, which messes up the routing. On the v675.1409 map the map data was correct on this location.

/Ulf

PS: Incidentally I know the Longbridge roundabout very well, since I lived a while in Leamington Spa a few years back and passed through this roundabout twice a day on my way to and from work. Smile
Garmin GPSMap 60CSx (SW ver. 3.70)
NukeThemAll
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, having read through this thread makes me really, really nervous about Mapshare. Recently downloaded v7.10 map of WE and with v7.x software I can now join the seedy, demi-mond milieu of the Mapshare 'community'. What's the latest advice for a Mapshare Virgin? Do I only subscribe to 'TT-verified' + 'self' or do I open my arms to the 'trusted' army? Or even to the wider 'people's republic'?

My recent attempts to get a timely, correct and cogent reply from TT 'support' makes me, ah, somewhat less than enthusiastic about trusting TT do this important thing with the care that it clearly deserves. Will Mapshare send me London-Brighton via Kabul because the Taleban have submitted road closures?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the Mapshare "Howlers" like this A40 one, ONLY showed up when "Verified by TomTom" was ticked in the options, so the assumed MOST trustworthy source, was in fact the least!

I think TT may have learnt their lesson, they admitted to me that the M40 one was because they believed a single BBC report (although I assume the BBC actually reported a TEMPORARY overnight closure for roadworks or something).

Anyway, I now have ALL of the options ticked, and haven't noticed anything disastrous recently (though of course how would I know if something happened miles away?)

I guess, the fact we haven't had any new reports here recently, is a good sign.
NukeThemAll
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy, how do others rate the trustworthiness of the various sources?
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:

But the map error at the Longbridge roundabout is still there which amazes me. The 'Time to travel' information for this road segement should be easy for TomTom to correct without any redrawing of the map. Have anyone here reported this error to TomTom via MapShare? The blocking/unblocking issues that was discussed earlier in this thread was not the error that caused the routing error.

EDIT: I've just submitted a MapShare report saying that the 'time-to-travel' data is wrong for this roundabout. I've reported the same thing through TeleAtlas MapInsight as well. Letīs hope the error gets corrected soon
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uffe73 wrote:
Andy_P2002 wrote:

But the map error at the Longbridge roundabout is still there which amazes me. The 'Time to travel' information for this road segement should be easy for TomTom to correct without any redrawing of the map.

No they can't! Not with Map Share as it is implemented at the moment.

ALL they can do is Block or unblock a road (or more accurately, allow traffic flow in neither, just one or both directions), change a road's name and add or edit a POI.
That is why Map Share is such a disappointment to many who were expecting much better (encouraged by TomTom's totally overblown advertising for it, which IMPLIES you can do so much more!)
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uffe73 wrote:
I have a similar example that shows the same type of map error, but not in a roundabout. Try set a route (shortest route) from N57.72036, E11.94517 to N57.72075, E11.94517.

This is showing the same on the 7.10 map. I'm wondering if that is a level crossing that gets closed to traffic a lot. If so, diverting traffic away from it may have been done on purpose.
Brodit ProClip mount
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GerryC wrote:
uffe73 wrote:
I have a similar example that shows the same type of map error, but not in a roundabout. Try set a route (shortest route) from N57.72036, E11.94517 to N57.72075, E11.94517.

This is showing the same on the 7.10 map. I'm wondering if that is a level crossing that gets closed to traffic a lot. If so, diverting traffic away from it may have been done on purpose.

No, it's not closed often. I pass it every day and know that it's perfectly OK to turn left in this crossing. Something has changed in the map data between map version v675.1409 and v710.1561. I haven't checked with the 705 map to see if the error exists there.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: