Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A40 "Blocked" - Map Share is a Disaster!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A40 "Blocked" - Map Share is a Disaster!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personal opinion only - I wouldn't be contributing, I've enough on my plate verifying speed cameras. If such a thread got off the ground, I simply wouldn't have the time to copy them all to take them out with me.

I'd prefer an online petition for everybody to grouse at TT into getting it right.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Official reply from TomTom Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:

I was going to say "so 'verified by TomTom' means just two reports!" but then realised that's what we go on for the speed cam database... Confused

takes more than 2 :P
bazelk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to say a big thank you to TomTom. I am going to get all the members of my local residents association to use there map share feature to show the main road through our village as closed so as to stop all those nasty lorry's and cars coming through!. Only joking but you can see my point.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazelk wrote:
I would like to say a big thank you to TomTom. I am going to get all the members of my local residents association to use there map share feature to show the main road through our village as closed so as to stop all those nasty lorry's and cars coming through!. Only joking but you can see my point.

if this little 'error' got into the press then i could see things getting waaaaaay out of hand!

MaFt
bazelk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think somebody at TomTom has dropped a big one, admittedly not as big as the governments 2 missing disc's but it's close.This is so open to abuse from the intellectually challenged through to the do it for a laugh brigade.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazelk wrote:
You may joke, but what about those jokers who erect false Gatsos in their gardens? And let me assure you I've rejected a number of mobile camera submissions which were nothing but a try on by some local village campaigner - absolutely no doubt there was nowhere for a mobile camera to operate - a 15 foot wide road with 6 foot high walls each side and no verge or footpath. How welcome would this be to those groups who have enough concerns that they organise their own speedwatch rosters?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: So what does mapshare actually do? Reply with quote

I had been reading the claims for mapshare and as my pda is getting on, and my gps receiver is dying, i had considered buying a dedicated TT for the mapshare.

The problems I have had navigating round have not ever been due to road works or blocks, but to new roads over the last 2 years. TT takes me the wrong way, because it does not know about the newer faster roads. It nearly caused a marital by trying to take us 2nd exit at a roundabout, when the new road is now 3rd exit, and avoids a village which now has speed bumps. I know this because a month before I had gone into the village, and it was a nightmare.

Near home is a bypassed village where the bypass cuts 5 minutes off the time, and changes the routing completely. When I travel along it, TT keeps trying to move me back to the old road (which is blocked at both ends). I reported it 12 months ago, but how do i find if its in the latest maps?

There is a new map released, but whilst it has a number, they do not quote the date which i feel is unacceptable.

The threads i have read about blocking roads is scary. When i watched the TT web movie trying to sell the product to me, that put me off immediately, as the guy was blocking a short term road work.

What I need from mapshare is
1. Trust. Verified should mean verified.
2. The ability to add roads and junctions.
3. The ability to mark dotted roads as in use, and to name them.
4. The base map to include planned roads, like the OS maps and my Phillips road atlas do.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: So what does mapshare actually do? Reply with quote

Fellwalker wrote:

What I need from mapshare is
1. Trust. Verified should mean verified.

Not at the moment, but TT are well aware of the problem, so let's see...
Quote:
2. The ability to add roads and junctions.

Not possible with present implementation of Mapshare, and unlikely in the near future IMHO. Actually adding new features in EXACTLY the right place is going to be FAR harder (both for them to program and for the user to input) than changing the attributes of an existing feature.
Quote:
3. The ability to mark dotted roads as in use, and to name them.

Both of these can be done now.
Quote:
4. The base map to include planned roads, like the OS maps and my Phillips road atlas do.

Theoretically possible. Could be present but marked as blocked, until opened via Mapshare when ready.
Mapshare is only a couple of months old... they are only just finding their feet with it.
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy

Thought so for 1 & 2. 3 is better than i had expected.
4 relates to the core map, and not to the mapshare facility...

It strikes me that if TT recorded a log, 1 could be done. That is one of the things I miss from Copilot, along with more intelligent zooming whilst driving.

I have just checked the Teleatlas web site, and the two amendments I sent to them have not been amended on their on-line map. Navtew is correct. It does not bode well for staying with TomTom.
bmw307
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:11 am    Post subject: A34 Northbound near Drayton Reply with quote

Take a look at the "TT Verified" MapShare update to the A34 next to Drayton, Oxfordshire (just south of Abingdon).
3 short sections "closed to traffic" northbound.
It made a real mess of my trip from Basingstoke to Bicester. Instead of A303, A34, A41 (all dual carriageway) it sent me A33, M4, A404(M), M40, A41. 10 twisty miles and 20 minutes further.
Think what's happening to the traffic from Southampton to Birmingham and beyond!
Hmmm.
I got TT because of MapShare. Now I can't trust it ... and that's only after 5 days!!
B Sad
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they doing Roadworks?

Can Traffic still travel that way? Albeit restricted?

If the road is restricted then surely this is a case for TMC Traffic to kick in, not Mapshare. Confused

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I do a Map Share correction, I get a pop-up window on the TomTom screen asking "Is this change PERMANENT and vailid for normal passenger cars?" or words to that effect".

I have always agreed to it, don't know what happens if you don't.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Whenever I do a Map Share correction, I get a pop-up window on the TomTom screen asking "Is this change PERMANENT and vailid for normal passenger cars?" or words to that effect".

I have always agreed to it, don't know what happens if you don't.

A few weeks ago I was working down at Havant. A couple of level crossings (Havant and Bedhampton) were closed during the commissiononing of the new Signalling Centre and so I marked the roads as blocked in each direction to avoid being routed over them. When asked if the changes were permanent, I selected 'No' and expected a response to the effect that the changes wouldn't be reported, even though I have 'always share my corrections'. But no, I was told that these changes would also be reported so I didn't connect to HOME during that period and undid the corrections immediately the commissioning was over.

I feel a suggestion to TomTom coming on (if I haven't already done it)!
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that quite a lot of the Motorway Service Areas now have the pink dotted line.

No more tea breaks then. Shocked

It begs the question ......WHY?

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wondering about this ever since you mentioned that the "dotted line" roads have the attributes set to "no traffic" in both directions (like the block/unblock in Mapshare).
On my colour scheme (GB New) those roads/tracks are actually shown as GREEN dotted, not red, so I'd just never thought they might be no through roads, I just thought it signified "small ones" that don't really go anywhere (like a service station for example).

Unlike some people, it seems, I usually don't have problems being able to navigate to places on these tracks. All that happens is that it usually says "you have reached your destination" as I pull of the main road onto them. I'd never thought about it because it always seems to say that very early anyway even on normal roads.

So, what's the official definition of this type of road? Is it "unadopted" I think they call them? I agree there seems to be no reason why they should be shown as not passable to traffic.
Should we be "opening" them whenever we see them?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: