Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman S30 Problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman S30 Problems
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennyL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Navman S30 Problems Reply with quote

I've just bought a Navman S30. I just installed the software on my PC. I've just got to the part of the software that says

"Do you have a product key? Your product key is printed on the back of the documentation or disk box. If you purchased a key online, it has been emailed to you." There is a Continue button

The Quick Start Guide has a number on the back but that doesn't seem to enable the Continue button to do anything.

Has anyone been through this?

When you buy a Navman do you get a Product Key?

I read somewhere that the Navman comes with the first 12 months of speed camera updates. Is this true. How do you get at them?

Thank you for any suggestions.
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DennyL

I don't have an s** type Navman yet but in the past the map keys have been on the CD cover or case. It is often quite obvious and may consist of letters and numbers. As for the camera database, it refers to Navman's own database wich I believe can be accessed from thier website and is not connected with PGPSW. However as always it is widely agreed that the PGPSW database is far superior and also includes mobile locations which most all others don't.

I'm sure darren will be along any moment now to give you the full PGPSW speel! Wink

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
DennyL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that the PGPS database is better, and I was expecting to subscribe, it's just that I thought that you got the first 12 months of the Navman one free, so was keen to update a Navman that had been in the supply chain for I don't know how long.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Navman S30 Problems Reply with quote

Quote:
I read somewhere that the Navman comes with the first 12 months of speed camera updates. Is this true. How do you get at them?

Thank you for any suggestions

If the S** range is the same as others, then the speed cameras are pre-loaded. The first time you connect via your Navdesk software you will be given the opportunity to update them free.
If you have the Manual, then it should tell you all about the Speed Cams - but then, manuals are the last thing we read, arn't they? Wink

Just checked...the details are on page 118 of your Manual and if you don't have one, then download the pdf file from [HERE] Embarassed

edited to correct........

Last edited by Gee-Pee on Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOps Embarassed

Removed for clarity

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
DennyL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your replies and suggestions.

OK, I've found it. The Trusted Reviews review says you get 12 months' free updates with the product (here http://www.trustedreviews.com/mobile-devices/review/2007/10/29/Navman-S30-Sat-Nav/p2). I can't find anywhere where Navman say it. When I installed the software I couldn't find the Product Key. I can imagine a situation where you enter a product key on the Navman site and it starts a subscription period. I do believe that the PGPSW database is better, but still wouldn't mind trying the Navman one for a year for nothing, if it is available.

Does anyone know whether you get a product key when you buy an S30?? The software seems to imply that you do by saying it's on the back of the documentation. There are several numbers with the product, but none in the format of the boxes in the software for entering a product key, and none that would make the continue button work.

Thank you again for any suggestions.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Product Key Reply with quote

Found no product key with my s90i so contacted Navman who basically said you get the one update of the speed camera database, then you have to subscribe if you want updates (it will continue to function if you don't, of course)
DennyL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Product Key Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
Found no product key with my s90i so contacted Navman who basically said you get the one update of the speed camera database, then you have to subscribe if you want updates (it will continue to function if you don't, of course)

So how do you get the update??
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Mine seemed to update first time I connected to NavDesk (???) - subscribe now though
DennyL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did email Navman about this problem and here is their reply:-

You do not need a product key unless you are trying to install European maps. The unit is already installed with the latest maps 2007 which are on the internal memory of the unit, including updated software.

The safety camera's that are also pre-insatalled are whats called a free trial and will last you for 14-16 months this should give you a message on your screen stating when it has expired, after this period you can update the maps by calling our technical support team and asking for a sub key which you purchase and install.

I'm amazed they think the speed camera only need to be updated after 14-16 months. I update my Origin b2 every week!
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Updates Reply with quote

Updated my Speed Cameras today - but that is because I subscribe

The Free Trial gives you use of the included database (up to date at time of unit software production) for the period specified

Speed cameras don't drastically change. Accurate ones don't anyway. Although obviously there can be changes more often, particularly with mobile units

So it depends on how up to date it needs to be - for most people the included data will be fine, and for those who do a lot of business travelling, perhaps a subsciption (£34 / year) is the better option

The database in my experience is very accurate, doesn't warn you when you don't need to be warned, and is directional too - some databases warn you too often, so you become immune to it!
DennyL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Updates Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
Updated my Speed Cameras today - but that is because I subscribe

Speed cameras don't drastically change. Accurate ones don't anyway. Although obviously there can be changes more often, particularly with mobile units

I think many would disagree with you. I don't know what classes of cameras the Navman claims to include (fixed, temporary, mobile, redlight, average speed, congestion zone, SPECS, etc), but cameras come and go quite quickly on road works. For example on the M4 from J6 to J7 there are road works with SPECS cameras that have been there for a couple of weeks, and I'm very pleased to be reminded of them by my Origin b2, and prompted when my speed creeps towards 50mph in the controlled zone.

Can anyone confirm that the PocketGPDWorld camera database works with the S30? If it does wouldn't it be cheaper and possibly better? I understand that the Navman is directionally sensitive to cameras (ie doesn't warn about cameras on the other side of the road). Would this be the case also with the PGPSW database?
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Accurancy Reply with quote

You can always buy cheaper - but get a different product

With the PocketGPSWorld Database, yes it probably covers more cameras but - importantly in my experience and use - it gave so many "false alarms" (I accept this could be mobile camera locations that are just "never there") that I became "immune" to the beeping

With the Navman database uses RoadPilot database and warns relative to speed and direction of travel - so you take notice of it's warnings. It is much more intelligent data - and suits ME better

(The Navman won't give direction warnings if you use the PGPSW database)

Just buy a Navman and subscribe to the Navman Database if you like the sound of that one and get regular updates, or for blanket coverage use the pocketGPSworld one - either way you'll be happy, they are just different approaches
DennyL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Accurancy Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
You can always buy cheaper - but get a different product

With the PocketGPSWorld Database, yes it probably covers more cameras but - importantly in my experience and use - it gave so many "false alarms" (I accept this could be mobile camera locations that are just "never there") that I became "immune" to the beeping

With the Navman database uses RoadPilot database and warns relative to speed and direction of travel - so you take notice of it's warnings. It is much more intelligent data - and suits ME better

(The Navman won't give direction warnings if you use the PGPSW database)

Just buy a Navman and subscribe to the Navman Database if you like the sound of that one and get regular updates, or for blanket coverage use the pocketGPSworld one - either way you'll be happy, they are just different approaches

Thank you for that explanation, Xstraseller. In my car I have an Origin b2 and a Palm PDA running Tomtom software with the PGPSW camera database. I agree that the reputed mobile and temporary camera locations in the PGPSW database get a bit much, as they seem always to be false alarms, but one is always free just not to install them. I think the non-directionality of the PGPDW database might swing me towards the Navman/Roadpilot one.
sargeonline
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have just purchased navman s30 too and couldn't find product key either. Tried all the numbers and serial numbers on the case/navman/cd cover but they were all one character short.

Glad I'm not the only one!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: