Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Pocket GPS Meetup
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Pocket GPS Meetup
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our sites popularity is a double edged sword. We're all mightily pleased that it has become one of the top ranked GPS sites but it means that the back end hardware that powers it all is being worked hard and we use bandwidth in huge quantities!

The downside is that our hosting costs which originally were modest have escalated and I can tell you that whilst we plan ahead to ensure we have room to grow the costs would make your eyes water!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately it's starting to look now like I may not be able to make it due to some personal problems that have came up, and the transmission on my car has decided to die leaving me with only 5th gear, so I may also be car less.

Darren and Mike will definately be attending and I will try to attend if I can, but please don't make the trip just to talk to myself. Darren and Mike should equally be able to show you some GPS gear and also answer all of your questions.

I'll post a message later (early Sunday) letting you all know if I can/can't make it.
jmk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:58 pm    Post subject: Postcode? Reply with quote

Does anyone have the Postcode (thank you Niels) for the Poachers Arms Pub?... they do not appear to be listed on the BT Internet Telephone Directory. - Thanks
John K
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Post Code (should have published this sorry Embarassed ) is RG29 1RP .
cloudchaser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in too. I will be there --- and give it an extra hour to reach. With my sense of direction I will end up getting lost !!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will now definately be attending thanks to Enterprise Rent-a-car giving me some wheels!
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, Dave! Thumbs Up

Glad most of the staff will be attending, as it will be interesting to put faces to names and meet the masterminds behind this great site! Wink

Bo Peep.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't go as far as masterminds. Well, ok! Wink That's a good point! I forgot to mention the Team are all going to be wearing ski-masks. Not to hold up a bank, but to protect our identity. We'll also be driving in unmarked cars with foreign license plates in a fleet of vehicles. So if you see a fleet of the same car, with 3 guy's wearing black ski-masks all sipping a pint through a straw, you've found us! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Nah, you'll be able to pick us out of a line up pretty easy, we'll be the people with more than one Pocket PC and more than one Bluetooth GPS! Just head towards the blue flashing light!.....and make sure you avoid those Police cars!
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry guys cant make this one as im working starting at midnight oh yay but ill be coming up the m5 m6 in the morning from swindon also going from welling bourough to swindon first give us wave itll keep me wake the trucks the same as the one inthe pics but a but a bit bigger I need all the help i cant get to keep me wake if any ones gong south [/list]

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Parky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I won't be joining you all today, I live in Yorkshire so it's just a bit too far to get there and back in one day (and being a Yorkshire man, the cost of the petrol) Smile Maybe, for your next meeting if you have one, somewhere in the middle, say, Northampton so all us people from "Up North" could get in on the act.

Have a good day, watch how many you sink, and give us that can't be there the general overview that went on.

Alan
Iain51
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys, Darren especially, that was both informative and enjoyable. :D Couldn't believe how quickly it went.

I know have a much better idea as to what would suit my needs, it's now just a case of finding the money! Rolling Eyes (If anyone's feeling generous the list includes Tom Tom 3 with bluetooth reciever (the Royaltek datalogger one, please Wink ), Brodit mount and Pro Clip. Cheers! :D )

Iain
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to meet you all, lost count of how many of you there were but it was a lot, I'm sure the landlord wondered who the hell we all were waving PDA's about and going oooh and aahh!

It's great to be able to put faces to names although I'm not sure I will recall all of them. I think it went really well and hopefully you all got to see some new stuff and get answers to some questions! A big thanks to Dan Popkin from Alk (CoPilot) for venturing out into the country as well.

We will look at doing these more often I'm sure but for us the next big thing will be the Summit, a weekend bash where we can all get together, talk GPS and drink without fear of the drive home!
AlanW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Dave, Darren & Mike for demonstrating copious amounts of GPS Gear. I particularly enjoyed the Memory-map demo.

Special thanks to Dan for the CoPilot Demo. In particular, the speed of route-recalculation was very impressive.

and Richard (I think) said he had some RHS Garden POIs, which would be gratefully received.

Cheers
Alan :P
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANOTHER SUMMIT !!!!!!! 8O Confused better get the hotels to start stocking up then hehe Laughing Laughing

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone who turned up, it was certainly good to put faces to names (and vice versa).

I'm not very good at remembering names, think I remembered accurately about half a dozen, after that it was a blur, but I hope everyone enjoyed it and got to look at a nice load of Bluetooth GPS's, CF's GPS's and other hardware/software.

We do plan on doing a summit later on like Darren said, we'll probably do some more pub meets if anyone's interested. Unfortunately things like pub meets will be South (M3 corridor up to/around M25) due to where most of us are situated. A summit will be planned hopefully later in the summer for the New Forest (Hampshire).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: