Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Latest map guarantee - thoroughly confused!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Latest map guarantee - thoroughly confused!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jej12000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Latest map guarantee - thoroughly confused! Reply with quote

Just had delivered Go730T & connected via TomTom Home. Just about the first thing it did was to check the map and say something to the effect "Congratulations. There is a more recent map to download. You can download this for free". Having read on this forum the importance of making a backup first, I went back in the menu process and made a backup of all the files.
On the TomTom support website it says "TomTom provides you with the latest map pre-installed on your new device. On top of that, if a newer map is available within 30 days from when you start using your device, you are entitled to one free map download. You can check if there is a new map version available as many times as you like within this period." Now clearly the latest map was not pre-installed on the device as the first thing it did was to tell me otherwise. So do I get an update NOW, plus the opportunity to update should a newer map come available in the next 30 days. Or if I update now, is that it..... in which case, is it better to wait a week or two. Does anyone know if a new map is likely to be released in the next 30 days anyway?
jej12000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to my post as above, now even more confused as having re-opened TomTom Home it has gone to a screen saying "Getting Updates Automatically" and lists various files to download, at the top of which is "Map of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" - but the 730T comes with the Map of Western Europe so why is it just offering a map of GB to update? As far as I can tell looking at the content of the backup there is just a map of Western Europe, no separate GB map on the original unit. Any explanation would be appreciated!
D4VE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can only use the LMG once to download an updated map, you can however check for updates as many times as you want during the 30 day period.

On top of that the update offered should be the same as that supplied on your unit i.e western europe, not just GB.

Maps tend to be updated around 4 times/year and we have just had one during October v815 you will need the latest firmware 8.010 or above to take advantage of all v8 maps capabilities.

Anything other than that then its down to TomTom support to sort out i'm afraid.

Hope that helps

Dave
TomTom iPhone Car Kit

PC Operating System: Windows 7
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a version number next to the UK&ROI map it is offering you? - there has been a bug where people have been offered the v660 UK&ROI map for some strange reason as this is a very old map version.

The map Home should be offering your device should be the v815 Western Europe map, but you do need to have the latest application installed to the device before asking for map updates, the order you need to follow:

1/ Fully back up the device using Windows Explorer

2/ Update the Software on the device using TomTom Home, this will probably be in two stages, the first update will put 7,481 on the unit the second update will take it to 8,300 the latest available at the time of writing) - To check the software version installed to the device tap the sat strength meter followed by the version box.

3/ Now use the Latest Map Guarantee option to get the v815 Western Europe map

4/ Back up the device using Windows Explorer

5/ Now start to use the device/ customise it by adding Speed Cameras / alerts and other Custom POI files as required.

If you are not too sure about how to back up the device have a read through the links on the FAQ page which can be located by clicking Here

If you do need to contact TomTom Customer Support the number from theUK is 0845 161 0009 - Mike
jej12000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't as yet clicked on the "Latest Map Guarantee" menu option. TomTom Home is just on a screen saying "Get Updates Automatically" and included in a whole list of available updates (including a new version of the TomTom application itself, Quickfix, phone connection settings, Kate voice and Safety cameras) is "Map of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" 232MB. I don't know whether to download this or not - should a separate GB map be on the 730T? I can't see that I've got this as a separate map at the moment and I don't think there's going to be room for it.
D4VE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew I should have waited before replying...Laughing Out Loud, Mike's answer is much more in depth than mine, follow his advice.

Dave
TomTom iPhone Car Kit

jej12000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks all for your help. Yes the GB map offered is v660 so looks like the dreaded bug. I've done a backup so I'll decline the kind offer of v660 GB map and update everything else on offer, which includes the latest Tom Tom Application Version 8.300 ... Slightly alarmed at Dave's comment about needing the latest firmware 8.010, how do I do that????? Surely a brand new unit comes with the latest firmware on board??
D4VE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mistake, x30 range are shipped with v8 firmware, as I said Mike's guidance will be more knowledgeable and comprehensive than mine ever will be.

Dave
TomTom iPhone Car Kit

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check what version is on the device by tapping the sat strength meter followed by the version box, it will probably say 8,010 - using Home you need to update this so it displays 8,300 before updating the map using the LMG.
It is unlikely the device will have been supplied with the very latest software installed as it will have been in the supply loop for a week or two, add the time it might have sat on the shelf and you might find its pre 8,300 that is installed to your device - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most important thing to note is that if you leave the software on v7 then the LMG will ONLY offer you a v7 map, and you only get ONE bite of the cherry.
That's why it's essential to back up first (Windows Explorer not Home) and then update the software, reboot and check it all works, and only THEN ask for a new map.

Don't worry that if you select the "more info" link to see what version it is then the next page tells you it is £50 or whatever. That's just TomTom's little bit of fun.....

Oh BTW Mike....
I had a brand new, untouched 520 in my hands yesterday... When I did a software update via Home, it went from v7.221 to v8.300 in one go.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Oh BTW Mike....
I had a brand new, untouched 520 in my hands yesterday... When I did a software update via Home, it went from v7.221 to v8.300 in one go.
I wonder if thats another bug or as intended?? Laughing - Mike
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jej12000, one more bit of advice! turn off the option to update your device automatically and click on "Update my Go" in HOME occasionally.

And go to "Tools/latest map guarantee" to use LMG (after updating your application to 8.3 as previously advised of course)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: