Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - "Latest Map Guarantee" not working?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

"Latest Map Guarantee" not working?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Richard, that did the trick. Very Happy

TT iPhone app
V 1.23 Map: Western and Central Europe 2 GB V 965.7286

TT iOS Go Mobile
V 1.1 Map: Western Europe 965.7248
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,

If you want to see what fiasco LMG was for me, in terms of me currently now having NO maps at all on my device, once TT assigned my device ID over, take a look at:

THIS THREAD HERE

Oh well Laughing
carloz-gps
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: LMG simply a lie, then? Reply with quote

forky wrote:
When I fired up my X30 for first time I had

Maps; Western and Central Europe v800.1762

Using Home and LMG I now have

Maps; Western and Central Europe v805.1801

There was no paperwork in the box with refernce to LMG, only a page in the booklet telling you how to update within 30 days

I got my ONE x30 Western Europe on Thursday last week, it came with software 800.014 and the Western_Europe_1GB map v725.1905

It's quite clear that more recent maps are available, yet the "tools/use latest map guarantee" option on the latest HOME software tells me my map is "up to date." If I try to subscribe to paid updates, it tells me I have to spend an extra 7.95 to get the latest map, which is version 800.something. Forky already has 800.1762, clearly more recent than my version, but itself out of date.

So the "Latest Map Guarantee", to judge from this and other experiences documented here back to 2005, is simply a lie, AKA "false advertising"? The "Latest map guarantee" was a deciding factor for me in my purchase. I'm thinking class action lawsuite, given how far back complaints about this appear to date, as this kind of cynical lying is cut-and-dried commercial malpractice, certainly here in the UK.

Anyone?

I should add that I think this is a great shame, as the device itself, and the software and so on, is generally superb, IMO. Why TomTom choose to squander customer goodwill by making false claims is beyond me, especially as they benefit from community participation in many ways - e.g. their use of the Linux kernel, user-supplied journey time stats, community map corrections. These are great features, but not something I feel good about when my overwhelming impression is of having been shafted by their sales and marketing department.

In short: I bought this thing in goof faith with a promise of the latest available map; the latest map is not installed; The latest map is not being made available to me via the route the manufacturer suggests that it should be; The PAID update service isn't available to me, without paying EXTRA, because, by TomTom's own estimation, I don't have the latest map.

This is not fair dealing, and I shall be contacting the ASA and other consumer protection organisations unless I get a satisfactory response from TomTom in very short order.

Count me presently off.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get your shorts in a knot .... Grrrr

The latest map guarantee is notoriously flakey at the best of times. Simply call support for your country and expect to send a scan, fax or photo of your sales invoice and they will add the map to your account.

Mind you .........

If you update your firmware to 8.3, you may find the map IS offered after all since you NEED 8.3 firmware to work with map 8.15
mrfreeze
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
Don't get your shorts in a knot .... Grrrr

Too late i think they're knotted and over his head already Laughing

Like David has said, you have to upgrade to v8.3 firmware before you get offered the later up to date maps.

Before you went off on one you should have asked for help!

Tomtom do honour their LMG, just sometimes it can be a little difficult to get, but worth the work.
Kate v710 UK & ROI v850.2781
jazzster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a tom tom one X30 V8 (V4) for a month now, tried to get LMG over and over in the month, contacted tom tom after lots of emails back and forth they said they will activate a LMG for me, but they have not mentioned needing 8.3 firmware to make it work, mine has not updated to that yet still on 8.012.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Innit marvellous? Today, page 36 shows the thirteen month anniversary of the start of this thread, and STILL TomTom haven't got it sorted out - I personally went through this farce with four different devices. Not that it's only been going on for thirteen months - the OP wanted to gather posts into a single thread, as opposed to all the earlier scattered posts on the subject.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzster wrote:
... they have not mentioned needing 8.3 firmware to make it work, mine has not updated to that yet still on 8.012.

You don't... The only software issue is whether it offers v7 or v8 maps.

I bought a 520 for my son's eighteenth birthday (on the 5th Dec.)
As they were running out fast I grabbed one when I could and the invoice date was 30th Oct.
I debated opening it up and doing the LMG before I gave it to him, but thought that it's nicer to strip the plastic of a new box when it's a present.

So, I was hoping it would all go OK as I wouldn't be able to send TT my invoice. Anyway, it came with v7.221 software and I was immediately offered v715 maps.
I ignored that and just updated the software to v8.300 and then went through the LMG process again. this time we were offered the v815 map with no problems.

The only thing I would say is that when you are offered the map and it says it needs to be downloaded, if you click on the "More info" link to see what version number it is, you do get a page where the price is mentioned. Just ignore that and go back to the previous page and it works fine (or did for us).
jazzster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom tom sorted my maps out, now got 8.15 map as i should of got on LMG Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36
Page 36 of 36

Jump to: