Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - "Latest Map Guarantee" not working?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

"Latest Map Guarantee" not working?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rinkrat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add me as another one guys who is unable to download via latest map guarantee. Got my 720 on 27th Dec 2007. I have managed to upgrade the TomTom Operating system and the GPS Software via Home. I was also offered the speed cameras, but prefer to use Pocket GPS versions.

V 710 maps were available but wont download the time left just keeps counting and counting. I have tried 2 different PCs though still the same on both. Got fed up with trying to download the maps for the time being. E mailed TomTom about issues ( with a copy of my receipt ) and told them I wanted the new maps as per their Latest Map Guarantee. See what reply I get, only e mailed yesterday. Will give them a few days to send a stupid reply and then give them a call.

The guys who have had them added to their Home Account, I assume you can then download them.

On another point I have upgraded from a HP RZ1710 PDA Navigation Pack and must say the Go 720 is brilliant. Just want to sort the maps though.

Rinkrat
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got a second account with TomTom for the new device? you need to be using a different e-mail address for each device.

Updates via Home have been difficult (as you can tell from the length of this thread), if you need the UK support number try 0845 161 0009 - Mike
rinkrat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike.

No I am using my original account log in. It seemed to work OK for all the other software updates, the maps are available but will not download through latest maps guarantee. Bet if I paid for them through Map Updates they would download OK Laughing Out Loud !

Thanks for the phone number, will wait and see how they reply to my e mail.

What should approx download time be for Western Europe maps via 2MB Broadband ?

Rinkrat
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give them a ring in the morning it will be faster to be honest.
As for download time I would expect around 50 mins or possibly slighty less, it will depend how busy they are uploading data to other users - Mike
Philgo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got an email today saying that I can download map 710, connected to Tomtom home and downloaded it within 5 mins Very Happy
rinkrat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Philgo

How long did it take to get to this stage with TomTom

Rinkrat
iCN520
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, just thought I would let you know that this Latest Map Guarantee problem exists on the other side of the pond as well.

I cant wait for the customer survey email if this guy is a senior member of the support team god help us!

Discussion Thread
Response (Kweku B. (AU)) 07/01/2008 11.40 AM
Dear Mr,

First of all I have understood you very well. I have also explained to you that you already have the latest map available for New Zealand. There is therefore nothing that can be added to your account that will change this.

I am not reading of a script and am a senior member of the support team here. I have been doing this for a few years now. If you are not willing to accept you have the latest map already on your device, please feel free to follow the instructions on the webaddress pasted below to submit a complaint.

www.tomtom.com/3127

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Customer 06/01/2008 10.01 PM
Thank you for your reply.
1. I do not believe that I’m misunderstanding the system, as I stated I purchased the TomTom One XL on the 9th November 2007 and on the 14th December there was a new version of the New Zealand map on your website. I clearly understand that 30 day’s from the 9th is not the 14th and as I stated I believe that this is unreasonable.
2. My original question was “What is the difference between these two versions”, to which you replied “None” the V711 only indicated that it was a download version and not one preinstalled on the device. I then asked about the different size of the maps to which you replied “There is no difference in the map data at all”. I then provided you with examples of the size of my data and sizes of the V711 data provide by a member of a forum I use. To which you replied that “there are many different reasons why the map I have on my device will be displaying different sized for files that the downloaded map i.e. extraction method in Tom Tom HOME etc, you then state that even if there was any difference in the map data, this would be negligible and certainly at no detriment to any navigation experience, you then note that the release of these maps differ by only 3 weeks (3 weeks = 21 day’s hmmmmmmmm far short of the 30 Day Map Guarantee) and in terms of collecting map data this is too short of a time to produce anything different. I have asked members of the forum to check data against the data in my map, one very good example is in my old town of Palmerston North there is a complete sub-division being shown on the V711 map that is not on my V710 map, and it would appear that a lot of work has been done in 3 weeks.
3. I again ask for this thread to be passed to one of your supervisors as it is clear from your response that it is not me but you that is misunderstanding the function of Customer Support, reading off a script and giving answers that clearly shows you have absolutely no understanding of the product. This is a clear example of misleading customers.
4. I have included the receipt of purchase on the 9th November 2007
5. I look forward to a response from somebody who actually knows what they are talking about.

Response (Kweku B. (AU)) 19/12/2007 09.01 AM
Dear Mr,

I believe you may be misunderstanding the system. If you can prove that you purchased the map 30 days prior to the latest map is RELEASED we provide a new map. We then require a proof of purchase for your Tom Tom product so that we can check the dates. This would happen even after the 30 days have passed. The important part is the 30 day period between first using your device and the release of the new map. If you used a device more than 30 days before the RELEASE of the map then you are not entitled to the latest map.

Concerning the size of the maps, there are many different reasons why the map you have on your device will be displaying different sizes for files than the downloaded map. There is the extraction method in Tom Tom HOME, Tom Tom HOME's own interpretation of the size, amongst many other possibilities.

Even if there was any difference in the map data, this would be negligible and certainly at no detriment to any navigation experience. Please note that the release of these maps differ by only 3 weeks. In terms of collecting map data this is too short of a time to produce anything different.

If you do not accept this explanation you are more than welcome to refer to the Consumers Guarantee Act. You will find out in the long run that we are not misleading any customers on the maps we produce.

With Best Regards

Customer 19/12/2007 07.49 AM
Thank you for your interesting comments. As you state
1. "The same rule applies to the UK customers concerning the 30 day period for the Latest Map Guarantee." as I stated in my original post, there are a lot of UK customers that have been provided with the latest map update free of charge and long after the 30 day period had expired. and
2."There is no difference in the map data at all. The sizes of the map do not differ." can you therefore explain why a member of a forum who paid for the v711 New Zealand Map provided me with the following information on the data:

cline.dat 5,284KB my version cline.dat 5,239KB
cname.dat 2,576KB my version cname.dat 721KB
cnode.dat 1,174KB my version cnode.dat 1,160KB
faces.dat 16,449KB my version faces.dat 16,422KB
poi.dat 1,762KB my version poi.dat 1,740KB
tables.dat 65KB my version tables.dat 40KB

This clearly is NOT the same map data as you state and I would now ask for this thread to be passed to one of you supervisor's as you clearly have no understanding of your product. In New Zealand we are covered by the Consumers Guarantee Act this provides protection for consumers against Companies that mislead and deceive customers, unless I receive an acceptable answer I will have no option but to refer the matter to them.

Response (Kweku B. (AU)) 18/12/2007 09.08 AM
Dear Mr,

The same rule applies to the UK customers concerning the 30 day period for the Latest Map Guarantee.

There is no difference in the map data at all. The sizes of the map do not differ. It is only that the download itself is placed in a cabinet file that is extracted by Tom Tom HOME before being installed on your system. Once it is on your system it will have exactly the same size.

With Best Regards

Customer 18/12/2007 05.33 AM
Thank you for your comments, it is interesting to note that this does not apply to a large number of you customers in the UK as most of them have been provided an upgrade to the latest map free of charge long after the 30 day Latest Map Guarantee.
With regard to the difference between the 7.10 and 7.11 maps if it is indicating that it is a downloadable map, can you explain what extra detail is in the 7.11 version as the map on my device is 24.8MB and the one availabe for download is 25.3MB. I’m sure that with countries as large as the UK and Europe this is not so siginificant however with a country the size of New Zealand .5MB must contain a lot of updated data I would be interested in you reply.

Response (Kweku B. (AU)) 17/12/2007 03.20 PM
Dear Mr,

Unfortunately the way the Latest Map Guarantee works, is that if a new map is made available within thirty days of first using your device, you will be able to have access to this map. If you had your device more than 30 days before the latest map was released you are not eligible for the latest map.

Please note however that the 7.10 and 7.11 maps are the same. The 7.11 is only indicating it is a downloadable map and not one preinstalled on the device. Therefore there is no actual later map available for your device than the one you already have.

With Best Regards

Customer 14/12/2007 07.58 PM
Hi,
I purchased the TomTom One XL on the 9th November after your release in New Zealand on 23rd October. The prime reason I went with TomTom was for the new MapShare capability of the V7 software. As you can see by my Question history when I first connected the unit and found that MapShare was not available on this map you advise me to keep an eye on the website for any updates. Since then I have checked via the Use Latest Map Guarantee to see if there was any updates and was told that I had the latest map. To my dismay on the 14th December I found that there is a newer map available however you state that I am not eligible for a free map update and I can however buy the latest map. The initial purchase of the TomTom was $599.00 NZ and now I find that I have to pay a further $190.00 NZ to get the updated Map. I believe this is unreasonable. I have noted on forums that there have been problems with the Latest Map Guarantee and that you have provided users in the UK with the updated v710 maps for their V705 maps, I hope you can be equally reasonable with my request for the updated v711 New Zealand map to update my v710 map.

Regards,
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting.....
I never realised "Kweku B." was such a common name.... Confused

Quote:
Customer (Andy P) 30/12/2007 04.43 PM
Any news on this?

Quote 9/11/07 - "There will be a v7.10 free update for 720 users, We hope to have this avilable later next week"
Quote 29/11/07 - "the map will be available to you in Tom Tom HOME once everything has been resolved."
Quote 14/12/07 - "We were informed that the map will be automatically assigned to customer's accounts within the next 2 weeks."

Response (Kweku B. (UK)) 14/12/2007 10.48 AM
Dear Mr P,

Please note that as there was no response to this e-mail before this incident was considered closed.

We were informed that the map will be automatically assigned to customer's accounts within the next 2 weeks. Concerning the size of the map, this is indeed confusing as some customer's received the entry-level map instead of the premium map. At the same time as when the map is assigned to customers for the latest map, the correct premium map will be made available to those who received the entry-level map. We are asking for your kind patience on this matter.

With Best Regards

Customer (Andy P) 13/12/2007 05.51 PM
Another two weeks have passed since your last reply.I still keep reading that people have been getting the 710 map update, but Home still says I have the latest map.

According to later posts in this forum topic
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=61149
There is also much confusion about what size the new map should actually be (reports of you sending versions without the voice recognition files to 520/720 owners).

Any further news? (the original message from yourselves from the first week of November did say you hoped to have it ready by "later next week")

Response (Kweku B. (UK)) 29/11/2007 09.28 AM
Dear Mr P,

That is indeed correct. You can purchase the map on our website. However we are dealing here with thousands of maps to be assigned to the existing customers for the latest map guarantee. This is something that will take a little longer. As explained previously, the map will be available to you in Tom Tom HOME once everything has been resolved.

With Best Regards

Customer (Andy P) 29/11/2007 12.36 AM
I read reports that purchasers are now able to download the 7.10 maps again. Is there any update on when they will be available for the existing 720 owners as you said in your previous replies?
Home is still not offering it and saying I have the latest map.

Many thanks for any further info.

Response (Kweku B. (UK)) 16/11/2007 02.23 PM
Dear Mr P,

That is fine. You can simply reply to this e-mail in case you do not get access to the downloadable map.

With Best Regards

Customer (Andy P) 16/11/2007 09.56 AM
Thank you, that is good news. I will keep this question open until the download becomes available...

Response (Kweku B. (UK)) 13/11/2007 02.40 PM
Dear Mr P,

For the time being this functionality is not available to Go 720 users due to technical difficulties. This will be resolved soon and you will then be able to use the functionality.

With Best Regards

Customer (Andy P) 09/11/2007 01.48 PM
I have a Go 720 with v7.05 Europe mapping. The latest map guarantee is not allowing a download of v7.10, but I learn from a user forum that:

1. At least one "bug" is fixed - No more spurious 'High Street Colliers' and 'Main Road Earls' announcements!
Quote:
Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support with regards to your 720

There will be a v7.10 free update for 720 users, We hope to have this available later next week

Our apologies for the inconvenience

With Best Regards

Very good news! Can you confirm #2 is for all 720 owners, please?

They have stopped replying now...
Philgo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rinkrat wrote:
Thanks Philgo

How long did it take to get to this stage with TomTom

Rinkrat

About 3 working days, I phoned and emailed my receipt on Wednesday, phoned again on Friday and got my update today.
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HO YUM so more waiting then
rinkrat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK here we go !

Spoke with Tom Tom this morning. I have been told this is rather starange that I am unable to download latest maps with Latest Map Guarantee. I was told there must be an issue with my PC ( tried 2 ) my broadband, my operating system and finally my firewall or Anti virus.

I explained that I had been able to download the TOM TOM os upgrade and also the GPS fix upgrade. So I am then told that that does not mean that its not my equipment or set up as the map file is a lot bigger.

I was told to try download with firewall and anti virus disabled, not sure about this though.

Anyway in the end they agreed to make the map available to download outside latest map guarantee, but said they cannot guarantee it will fix the issue.

I referred several times to this thread, and others with the same issues as myself, which they did not seem too happy about.

Will see what happens when the map is available for download. I cannot though believe the issues are with my PC's or set ups.

Regards Rinkrat
notsundancekid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must have Home 2.x.

I bought a 720 between Christmas & New Year. I already had an installation of TomTom Home on my PC, so I just did a check for updates. There was one so I dow loaded. This version (1.5 something) allowed me to download an application update (to V7.221) so I thought everything was working, but was surprised there was no visibility of the map version, map sharing or traffic camera updates. I then realised that a newer version Home existed I loaded the version on the CD supplied (V1.6) this allowed a camera update, and visibility that I had v705 maps. So I now knew that there was a map update that I was entitled to, so I email TomTom support explaining my problem

Here is the reply I recieved today:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support. You are using the old version of Tom Tom Home.

To install TomTom Home 2.x, please do the following:-

• Go to http://www.tomtom.com/7602
• Scroll down the Screen until you see 'Download.exe Windows' and click on it.
• In the menu that shows click on ‘Run', TomTom Home 2.x will start to Download
• Once complete, click on 'Run' to continue with the installation.
• Follow the instructions until installation is complete
• When HOME is active then connect your unit to your computer using the USB Cable
• Login and enter your username and password
• HOME will automatically detect your unit and prompt you to install any updates

Please note that TomTom Home 2.x is only compatible with Windows XP and Windows Vista. Please make sure that you have the latest windows service packs and updates are installed on your PC.

For Mac users, please install Windows 1.6 from the CD that was provided in the box for your TomTom device.

I have done this, and I'm now downloading a newer map, so fingers crossed. So in my experince using the "check for updates" on TomTom Home on v1.5 & 1.6 is a waste of time. Hope this helps somebody else!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallo, Mr TomTom?

Just in case you're looking, that number at the bottom of this page - 23 - means this topic has gone on for 23 pages and STILL the matter is not resolved. I realise this forum is not a TomTom one, but when your customers find themselves received by your support services as described by so many in this thread, it's little wonder they express their frustration where they can find others in the same boat.

Don't you think it's about time you realised that all these people (or at least most of them) love your devices, but hate your support service? You'd better start getting a grip, because if ever somebody else comes up with a device as good as yours but with a support service even fractionally better, your business will go down the plughole like S*** off a hot shovel.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
rinkrat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurrah !

v710 maps now downloaded and all pois and PGPSW speed cameras and alerts installed.

Good job we have patience and persistance guys !

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice including the tommtom cs rep ( after some persuasion )

Rinkrat Laughing
Nodge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to say I downloaded the latest 7.10 map with no problem. Using Home 2.1 I clicked on File/Use latest map guarantee. I didn't even need to enter the code on the map guarantee in the box. Did take over an hour to download and install though.

John

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 23 of 36

Jump to: