Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - "Latest Map Guarantee" not working?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

"Latest Map Guarantee" not working?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gchell
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobmoss wrote:
Well, I've just rung TomTom tech support as I was fed up waiting for an e-mail response.

They told me that I am entitled to the update but they are still working on the update for my unit (a 720) because the new update will have Western and Central Europe. They hope to have it done by the end of the week. If it still won't update by Monday I have to give them a call back.

I've just had the same answer, they are doing a few 'changes' before releasing the 710 map for the GO720. The guy said that it should be available within a week, but if its longer, the latest map guarantee would still apply!
rmines
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the one who started the thread, I wanted to feedback that I have finally got some kind of resolution.

After logging my original call with TT, I phoned them yesterday. Like a few others the intial repsonse was less than encouraging.

Initially I was told to use the code. After telling them that Home 2 didn't use the code any more they were adament, but when I asked them to check their own link they finally agreed. They then asked me use the Latest Map Guarantee option in Home - why hadn't I thought of that...

Eventually they confirmed that they couldn't understand why it wasn't working, and like several others asked me to send them proof of purchase. I sent a screenshot of my online invoice and today thay activated the update on my account. It then showed up via Home fine and it's downloading right now...

I did fly the flag by mentioning that a fair few people were having similar issues, but they didn't seem to be treating it as a known issue so I can only recommend using the same approach.

Interesting to hear other 720 users being told of a combined map upgrade - sounds a bit fishy to me. The 710 map is shown on the website as available for the 720 and there's no sign of a combo pack, or of a "coming soon" notice or similar.

Anyway barring map installation woes I'm pretty much sorted. Just a shame TT can't seem to get its own system working right, or at least collate the issues being reported, recognise there is a problem and agree a workaround rather than customers having to fight for something they should be getting without hassle.
fizz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My updated maps are still to appear Sad I think I'll send them a reminder.
SatMonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a ticket open since Sunday, and no reply - not really impressed.
georgemac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an open ticket, got a response to my initial email after 3 days, and all was going well, requested I send them my receipt - which was paypal one. I pasted this into the support thread, but they replied asking me to email it to them. I did this, but I registered with my domain name email which I cannot send from, and sent from my ISP. TomTom were not happy with this because of security, and sent me a link to change my registered email address to my ISP one.

I did this and now can only log in with the initial domain email, cannot see my support thread, the page continually loops looking for something, and when I use the link to change email address again, the page shows my name logged in but someone else's email address altogether - think their servers and support systems are not too good.

Just about giving up on this map update - have got an email asking me to complete a survey - in a couple of days if I have no further response, I think I will take the time to do this and let them know how poor their support has been.
FlyingDutchman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here is a new take on the reported latest map problems.

I've got a 720 purchased thru Tesco last month with a £100 discount for taking out their car insurance.
Latest version of HOME installed on my Laptop which acknowledges that the Western Europe map software is version 7.05.XXXX and that a new map is available for download. Sounds promising! Click button to start download.
Home screen changes to confirm download has started and not to remove 720 from cradle. Then I look at timer for download and notice that time remaining appears to be increasing exponentially. Walk away, come back later after a coffee, time still increasing but no movement on progress bar. Leave it on overnight and come back in the morning to find that time remaining is now at 73,000 hours and still increasing!! Abort!
Anybody got any ideas? Crying or Very sad
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FlyingDutchman wrote:
Ok, here is a new take on the reported latest map problems.

I've got a 720 purchased thru Tesco last month with a £100 discount for taking out their car insurance.
Latest version of HOME installed on my Laptop which acknowledges that the Western Europe map software is version 7.05.XXXX and that a new map is available for download. Sounds promising! Click button to start download.
Home screen changes to confirm download has started and not to remove 720 from cradle. Then I look at timer for download and notice that time remaining appears to be increasing exponentially. Walk away, come back later after a coffee, time still increasing but no movement on progress bar. Leave it on overnight and come back in the morning to find that time remaining is now at 73,000 hours and still increasing!! Abort!
Anybody got any ideas? Crying or Very sad

This has been experienced by quite a few of us. The only answer seems to be to keep trying, and if the 'time remaining' isn't what you'd expect, abort and try again.

I eventually overcame this problem, only to get 'Internal System Error' every time as the download appeared to complete.

I finally started the download after midnight and in the morning it had successfully downloaded and installed to the SD card.

I then found that the new maps weren't offered in 'Switch Maps', but following a new software release and installation I am able to access both the new maps from the card and the original maps from the internal memory.
Samsung Galaxy S21
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I logged a call with TomTom over the weekend and gave up waiting ( I had another more serious problem, not just the map update ) so I called them. After a short wait the lady that answered said that the updates would come from the Home application, I then said it wasn't working, at which point she insisted that I was the only person who was having problems ! ! ! I told here that she was wrong and to look at this forum, I was put on hold, and the was told that 2nd line support were experiencing problems with the map update and I should have it shortly..... we all know what shortly means. I then insisted on a more accurate estimate and was told 2-3 days, so if it not fixed I'll reopen the ticket.

Just keep logging & re-opening the calls, this is how they are scored in terms of performance, so they hate open calls.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my latest with GO720 #6 (I started #7 by TT Support webpage and still waiting for the response "within 48 hours" - 5 hours to go and counting).

Last Friday I rang them to say I'd bought a GO720 at midday and that the map guarantee wasn't working. The guy said that either my device saying map v705, or their website saying map v710 was a typo! But he said he'd get onto whomever and email me later that night. He never did email me.

So I've just phoned them and grumped. The guy this time said the 710 map has not yet been released for the GO720, so I said I'm looking at Anita's post which says she's got it PLUS why does it say I can buy it on the website. He insisted that their 2nd line support people to whom he had spoken said it is NOT for the 720 and just was completely unhelpful. He did say he would email me and when I asked when, he said after 7pm UK time (presumably when I can't ring after the lines close at 6:30pm!). At least this time I got a name (I think! - I did ask him to spell it), so if I don't get further tonight, I'll really start bashing his name about.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
fizz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ree-sult. I now have 7.10 maps (7.10.1571 to be exact) Jumping With Joy Jumping With Joy Jumping With Joy

Sent a chaser to TomTom last night. Maps were available as an update this evening. The download took less than 5 minutes, the install another 5.

One obvious difference; I now have to select United Kingdom or Ireland (despite the map being called Great Britain and the Republic of Ireland it does actually include Northern Ireland). I don't recall having that selection before.

Now I just have to put back / recreate the bits I "lost" when I, in my excitement, deleted the entire map directory to make space for the new maps Embarassed (and yes, I do have a back up Thumbs Up ).

Driving
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
The guy this time said the 710 map has not yet been released for the GO720, so I said I'm looking at Anita's post which says she's got it PLUS why does it say I can buy it on the website. He insisted that their 2nd line support people to whom he had spoken said it is NOT for the 720 and just was completely unhelpful. He did say he would email me and when I asked when, he said after 7pm UK time (presumably when I can't ring after the lines close at 6:30pm!). At least this time I got a name (I think! - I did ask him to spell it), so if I don't get further tonight, I'll really start bashing his name about.

Sorry if I've upset you again, Dennis, by having a working 720! Wink

I'm sure there are others who've reported here that they've installed v710 W&CE maps to their 720, but I can't remember who. I'll have a search later if I've got time.
Samsung Galaxy S21
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
Sorry if I've upset you again, Dennis, by having a working 720! Wink

I'm sure there are others who've reported here that they've installed v710 W&CE maps to their 720, but I can't remember who. I'll have a search later if I've got time.
Don't worry about it Anita - if these two don't work, I can always take them back and get new stuff and even more credit notes and gift vouchers!! My only real problem is the email addresses and passwords - I started calling myself GO720#3 and so on until I thought TT might twig who's behind them all. But I've had to put a splash screen on each of these with GO720-6 and GO720-7 so I can tell them apart (or maybe I should have said GO720Maplin and Halfords so that I'll know where they have to go back to - I've obviously kept the plastic bags, with the Halfords one getting a little ragged by now!) I thought #7 had gone wonky tonight when it didn't make a sound whilst on a Demo, but then I remembered I had the audio output to FM out in the van! Embarassed
I'll just give the guarantee another go - your mention of having the map on SD has persuaded me to put an empty 2GB card into each of them and try getting the map again - I'm nothing if not persistent! You'll learn about that when you get to my age.

rmines
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeedCam wrote:
I logged a call with TomTom over the weekend and gave up waiting ( I had another more serious problem, not just the map update ) so I called them. After a short wait the lady that answered said that the updates would come from the Home application, I then said it wasn't working, at which point she insisted that I was the only person who was having problems ! ! ! I told here that she was wrong and to look at this forum, I was put on hold, and the was told that 2nd line support were experiencing problems with the map update and I should have it shortly..... we all know what shortly means. I then insisted on a more accurate estimate and was told 2-3 days, so if it not fixed I'll reopen the ticket.

Just keep logging & re-opening the calls, this is how they are scored in terms of performance, so they hate open calls.

If they don't believe others are having similar problems feel free to pass on the ticket reference numbers for my calls:

071106-007539 - this was the original call I logged regarding the issue.
071112-003809 - this is the call they generated after I spoke to them on the phone and they asked me to send them my proof of purchase.

After these calls they did activate the 710 maps on my account - still having problems downloading them but I guess it's all part of the fun...
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an update received tonight concerning my complaint on 1st November that GO720 #5 (purchased 17th October 2007, therefore well within the 30 days guarantee period) wouldn't get the Map Guarantee. I'll let them keep working on it even though they seem to have missed me saying I was going to resolve it by taking it back to the shop and swapping it for a Garmin!!

Quote:
Dear ,

Thank you for your query regarding your map.

We currently cannot offer you an immediate suitable solution for this problem. We have sent your question to our 2nd line technical department.

We hope to have an answer for you as soon as possible, please bear with us while we find a solution for your query.

With Best Regards

TomTom Customer Support Team

It's now only two hours to go for the deadline response to same query on GO720 #7 and one hour overdue email for same query on GO720 #6. If you're getting confused, spare me a thought - I have to keep track of them all!!

fizz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my support call reference if anyone wants to quote it as a successful resolution; 071112-000057.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 3 of 36

Jump to: