Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - "Latest Map Guarantee" not working?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

"Latest Map Guarantee" not working?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimH_07
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a different experience with TT. One phone call, one email requested whilst on the phone with proof of purchase.
"you won't get your new map today, because the office is nearly closed, but try tomorrow morning"
Next day, update, map 710 downloads in 25 mins. Installed fine.
So its not all bad.

Jim H
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote we all go round to JimH_07's place and give him a good kicking. Evil or Very Mad

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"25 minutes"???

I wish I'd timed it properly, but today's download of W Europe (and E Europe, but that's tiny) for a guy at work went something like this:

11:00 Fire up his old copy of Home v1.5 and log in - NO automatic offer of update to v2.1
11:05 Select "Check for Home update" in menu.
11:06 Home says "no update available" WHILE I am watching v2 downloading in the progress bar at the bottom.
11:10 Home crashes during update to v2 with an xulrunner.exe message. Thought you only got than once you were actually RUNNING v2 Laughing
11:20 Find manual download link for Home v2 (laborious, as I didn't have access to my bookmarks) and install OK.
11:30 Buy maps, very smooth process. Told us we needed to make space on Go
11:40 Ignore Home's pleas to do a backup (we did a proper one yesterday) - nice to see it asked though!
Deleted BOTH old Western Europe Maps from his unit (don't ask me...)
11:50 Start downloading
13:00 Lunchtime - about 1/3 done
15:00 Finished downloading (first time thank God!) - starts installing to Go
Incidentally it was connected to a USB 1 hub. Now I thought the Go x00 series were USB 1 anyway, but Windows kept popping up saying it would work quicker if we connected via USB 2. Anyway, it took AGES to just get onto the machine!
16:00 Finished and working after only two jabs with the paperclip (and a fixed grim implying "nothing to worry about, they always do this!"
Mad
16:00 - 17:00 Gave up on his PC, took it to mine and copied all his POIs across, then discovered that copying MapSettings.cfg doesn't seem to work any more - crashed it at splashscreen.
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You obviously had nothing else to do all afternoon. Laughing Laughing
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
JimH_07
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't actually work very well of course.....(seems not to like TT speed cameras)
bigfoot47
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got fed up of waiting for e-mail responses so rang Netherlands number (free thanks to TALKTALK) Got straight through and went through all the usual 7.05 to 7.10 not updating etc etc. Bloke gave me reason that has already been given but then asked me to hang on and came back 5 minutes later and informed me that 7.10 for sale on tom tom site is a different version and that the reason there is a delay is that for 720's etc update 7.XX will be revised maps of Western Europe WITH CENTRAL EUROPE now included. Delay he said was due to problems in seamless map transfer from one to the other.
Took my copy of receipt and said map would be added to account regardless of 30 day Map guarantee. Took his name asked for confirmation of this to be put on my account.

Checked todays date not April 1 so will wait and see???? Confused
SatMonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I don't know why I am fretting. I rarely travel outside my own county - and only do 3,000 miles a year Laughing
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigfoot47 wrote:
informed me that 7.10 for sale on tom tom site is a different version and that the reason there is a delay is that for 720's etc update 7.XX will be revised maps of Western Europe WITH CENTRAL EUROPE now included.
Checked todays date not April 1 so will wait and see???? Confused
Yes, but have you checked to see whether he'd pulled one of your legs off? Didn't Anita (who somehow has got the 7.10 Western & Central Europe map) tell us it's too big for the 2Gb internal 720 memory. How can everybody get it if they don't have the space for it?

martypeter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to download map 7.10 Western and central Europe today after 3 previous attempts. It doesn't show up if you click on latest map guarantee. Mine appeared as an update after I formatted my 720. I didn't know about the latest map guarantee and trusted home 1.6 on my mac when it told me 675 was the latest and paid £39.95 for the downgrade!!!!! I'm still waiting for a responce from TT on this after 3 days. I couldn't even get my 7.05 map back so had to have 7.10 as map share didn't work on 675 for the 720. The application etc also comes up as a download too so no fear there, best to make a backup first though!! Only problem I have now is I've lost the choice of voice input?!?!
martypeter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way I used a PC to get the 7.10 on Home 2 as you can't yet do this on a mac
russd1978
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this whole situation just shows how a company like TomTom who can put together such a great product, has grown too fast and been unable to keep up with itself customer support wise. I meant these guys dont know there ar*ses from their elbows, yet some people are lucky enough to get through to a person who does understand the situation (John G. for example). I dont think the situation will change anytime soon, indeed I remember there being similar problems when I got my Classic Go and some people had outdated maps on their new units v3.14 vs v3.90 if I recall correctly. Shame because I love my TomTom, I just wonder if I should stay loyal to this shambles of a company.
martypeter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What application version did the 720 ship with. Mine is 7.221 now after the update. I wonder if this is different and explains why I have no voice input?!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martypeter wrote:
What application version did the 720 ship with. Mine is 7.221 now after the update. I wonder if this is different and explains why I have no voice input?!
7.000 MINUS! It's had at least three updates in less than that many months!

Andy_P2002 has a pretty strong theory that the MapSettings.cfg is now jiggering the speech. But I updated to 7.221 last night and my voice recognition is still working, so I don't know what to say. You could try dropping (copying away to somewhere safe) your MapSettings.cfg and putting your original one back from your backup just to see what happens.

Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Didn't Anita (who somehow has got the 7.10 Western & Central Europe map) tell us it's too big for the 2Gb internal 720 memory. How can everybody get it if they don't have the space for it?

No, Dennis, I put it on a card so I could keep the original in the internal memory for comparison.

When people who hadn't been able to get the new map started to get it, I thought maybe it was the updated map TT have said they're working on and downloaded again, this time to internal memory. It's the W&CE map, and it fits OK.

DennisN wrote:
Andy_P2002 has a pretty strong theory that the MapSettings.cfg is now jiggering the speech. But I updated to 7.221 last night and my voice recognition is still working, so I don't know what to say

I also updated to 7.221 last night, and the voice recognition is working better than before.
Samsung Galaxy S21
bigfoot47
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, but have you checked to see whether he'd pulled one of your legs off? Didn't Anita (who somehow has got the 7.10 Western & Central Europe map) tell us it's too big for the 2Gb internal 720 memory. How can everybody get it if they don't have the space for it?

Nope haven't toppled over so must stiil have both legs attached and B****r
your right Western and Central Europe file size 2036Mb!!! according to map download site. Maybe there all sat round deciding which bits of country to lop off to get within 2GB Very Happy
My bet it will be Poland, as it must be empty as they are all round here (and before anyone takes offence my parents were Eastern European so i think i allowed this one!)

It is coming up to Christmas so they might issue us all with a free 4Gb SD card Laughing (one that the 720 doesn't recognise no doubt)

I give up!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 15 of 36

Jump to: