Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - XDA Orbit - No GPS Device!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

XDA Orbit - No GPS Device!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: XDA Orbit - No GPS Device! Reply with quote

Hi All,

I finally took the plunge and got an o2 XDA orbit, the one with built in sat-nav receiver (alledgedly?)

I think I have installed the TomTom 6 navigator software correctly and map, as the software does open up and start the map similar to my TT700.

The only thing is, when i start up the software and the map opens thats as far as it gets, a message on the botton left where the direction instuctions usual go says "No GPS Device".

I have waited a bit for the gps to pick up a signal but nothing.

Am i missing a setting somewhere on the phone itself to activaate the built in GPS receiver?

All help grateful.

Kind Regs

MPW
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you set-up your GPS from within TomTom? If not go to "Change Preferences" menu page 3 of 6, tap on "Show GPS Status" Tap on that then bottom left "Configure".
Set it as "Other NMEA GPS receiver". "GPS baud rate 9600". "Com port 4".
Then tap "Done".
Ideally you need to be outside while it gets a fix, although I can usually do it in doors at home and get a 4 sat fix.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mate,

Thanks very much thats excellent, now seems to work.

Can i be a pain and ask 4 more silly semi OT questions!

1. How do I get the `Tomtom` logo thing on the desktop screen of the xda. ( i cant find a setting under the Today panel ? )

2. How do i then make it a dual column display on the desktop?

3. When the phone goes into standy-mode ( screen blanks out), is the only way to get it to come back by pressing the side button in for a few seconds? No other buttons on the front i can press to make it quicker?

4. Whats the max memory card size it will take, im running WM6.

Many thanks for all your help, im new to this XDA thing.

MPW
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the latest version of TomTom from their website v6.03 this was specifically for the HTC Artemis which the Orbit is based on and when you set up the GPS you choose built in receiver.

You should not need the icon on the today screen because it automatically maps the GPS button(bottom left) to start the program.

You cannot as far as I know have a double column on the today screen but there are programs such as SPB Pocketplus which allows tabs which is a bit like having more than one desktop.

When the screen turns off the button on the side is the only one I use to turn it back on again, but this is instant and if you receive a phone call or text message it turns back on automatically.

My T-Mob MDA will only take 2gb card but is only running WM5 so yours could be different.

Try finding HTC website and giving their UK helpdesk a ring and they should be able to tell you for certain.

theripper
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2GB Is the the max card size your device can use when running a vendor supplied ROM there is a custom ROM over at XDA Dev that allows larger capacity cards to work on the unit, the downside being you could brick the device if you mess around doing this.

To keep the backlight on and power on use a car charger lead and set the power management settings to keep the device awake, the desktop short cut should be available if the application is installed correctly, and you have less than the max short cuts permitted on the desktop. -Mike
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
2GB Is the the max card size your device can use when running a vendor supplied ROM there is a custom ROM over at XDA Dev that allows larger capacity cards to work on the unit, the downside being you could brick the device if you mess around doing this.

Sorry Mike but have to disagree on this point. I have a 4GB Micro SD Card in mine. Just under 1.5GB taken up with TomTom V6 Western Europe Map with both UK and European Speed related cameras + ogg files, and 1.8GB taken up with mp3 music files and photos.

It's using the supplied out of the box Rom

ROM Version: 3.4.206.2 WWE
ROM Date: 4/18/07
Radio Version: 02.67.90
Protocol Version: 4.1.13.28
ExtROM Version: 3.4.206.101
Nokia 925 Windows 8
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, I guess the modified ROM enables the SDHC card types to work with the Artemis and derivatives i.e. cards over 4GB, the big problem is the cost as the larger TF cards still command a hefty price, I only use 2GB in my units, one of them is getting near to full though! - Mike
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very interesting with regards to the Micro SD card debate.

I was in CPW yesterday, the chap there was very nice and said my XDA should take an 8 gig card no problem.

Me being suspicious asked if we can pop it in there and then in the shop to check. It didnt work, he then tried out a 4 gig card. That did not work either!

In the end, i didnt actutally buy one as shop was shutting.

Im really interested to know how or why one XDA will take a 4gig and one wont? I would like the biggest card possible.

My one come with WM6. - It starts up with the O2 welcome screen.

I did notice on the cards he was trying, they said `Micro SD HC`.
The one I have working at the moment is a 1gb card and just says MicroSD, whether or not that has anything to do with it.

Many thanks for your help.

MPW
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one I'm using is just a standard SanDisk Micro SD Card which I purchased from my local O2 shop, and got them to fit it and proved it was working before I paid for it, so dammed fiddly to get in. It's never been removed. It came with 2 adaptors and was made in China.

The only other additions was to install the WM6_DUN.CAB file from XDA Developers.com and Kilmist Registry Editor to modify the registry settings to get the GPS Lat/Long into photos taken with the inbuilt camera as per Mike's article, and POI Capture from this site.
Nokia 925 Windows 8
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDHC will not work with a standard Orbit ROM, to get SDHC card types working requires the modified ROM from XDA Dev that I mentioned earlier.
If you can find a standard type memory card that is 4GB in size it will work, avoid the SDHC type though. Any larger than 4GB will be SDHC and won't work without changing the ROM.

If/ When you find a 4GB Micro SD card for sale please let us know where from as there are a few of us that might purchase one.
I will try the local O2 shop later and see if they have any as per Graham's post above - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: