Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mac Trojan Horse
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Trojan Horse
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
.........It's scary to think that my BBC is now in a museum - literally, my parents donated it to their local museum a while ago and it's been there ever since.

Still got my "B" and a monitor in a square steel box that weigh's as much as a bag of cement, at the time it cost a fortune - all for 32k size.

Used to write programme's in Basic, pages of typing and one space or dot in the wrong place and it wouldn't work.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While on the subject of old computers, we used to have a Tandy TRS-80 - 16k ram and a whole 8-colours!

we had no way to record programs as the lead we had was dodgy BUT we could load one's we bought... it was great fun spending 2 hours making our own game up thn having to redo it each week! taught us all BASIC very effectively!

after that my eldest brother got a zx81 and built a speech synth for it - that was quite good fun! we also has a spectrum 48k - original with rubber keys then later upgraded to a speccy 128k+2 with built in tape deck and a light gun.

after that we headed over to consoles with a sega master system ii followed by a SNES.

it wasn't until 1995 that my mum bought our first pc for over £1300 - 14" monitor, 8mb ram, 40mb hard drive, 72mhz cpu and windows 95 on 32 floppy discs (cdrom drive was to expensive an option!)

when i went to uni in 1998 my oldest brother helped me build a pc to take with me - w massive 6.4gb hard drive ("you'll NEVER fill that" he said!! i currently have 34gb of mp3's and a single video project can take up more than that!). since then i've been hooked - whenever something went wrong he'd talk me through it on the phone so i learnt how to repair and maintain it myself which was useful Smile

MaFt
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
massive 6.4gb hard drive ("you'll NEVER fill that" he said!! i currently have 34gb of mp3's and a single video project can take up more than that!).

Interesting that you should say that - here's something our dear friend Bill Gates once said:
Quote:
640K ought to be enough for anybody.

mmm - I have 8GB memory, 2x250GB hard drive (one primarily system, 1 primarily data), 1x80GB firewire drive (video editing), 1x320GB USB drive (multi-purpose) and 1x750GB USB drive (for backup)

A huge step from the 32k of the BBC with its cassette drive - now it's dual layer superdrives
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
Interesting that you should say that - here's something our dear friend Bill Gates once said:
Quote:
640K ought to be enough for anybody.

Maybe when he designed winblows 1.0.
Even on our first pc with v3 on 49 floppies, a copy of gorilaz.bat took up more space than that.

What about having to load dos before you could even think about installing windows. Oh bore!

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you remember the Amstrad range?
I had a CPC 6128 that caught light.

mostdom wrote:
Quote:
......Even on our first pc with v3 on 49 floppies

Before the 3.5inch floppy's, there were the large 5.5inch "floppy" floppy's, they were a nightmare to store, i used to loose loads of data as they never seemed to work.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
While on the subject of old computers, we used to have a Tandy TRS-80 - 16k ram and a whole 8-colours

You had a colour one! Wow! We only ever had a black and white one. Laughing

GJF wrote:
Before the 3.5inch floppy's, there were the large 5.5inch "floppy" floppy's, they were a nightmare to store, i used to loose loads of data as they never seemed to work.

Ahh, I remember some of the big boys had the 8 inch floppies on their PCs. Now that was a serious bit of storage.
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is getting a bit sordid now!

We realy DON'T want to know how big your floppies are, or indeed used to be, so stop it! Confused

Skippy wrote:
Ahh, I remember some of the big boys had the 8 inch floppies...

And skippy is going to have to say something very manly to get out of this one. Very Happy

GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kids these days don't know they're born Rolling Eyes

I'd love to take away their PS, Wii, XBox or whatever and give them one of those tennis game thingamajigs that we used to have plugged into the TV and see what they make of that Laughing
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first Mainframe was an ICL4120 with 8K RAM. It had a whole room to itself, with airlock entry and air conditioning so cold you needed to wear a coat. The fastest thing about it was the printer, which was a "line printer" - printed a whole line at a time and was so fast it had to stop regularly to let the computer catch up and fill its buffer again. The tape drives were a picture to watch when it was sorting. I was just a user and the IT guys set up my purchasing and stock control system to operate with 16K RAM and went live BEFORE the extra 8K arrived. It worked, but wrongly. So I spent the next six months working until 10pm most nights and weekends trying to sort it!

My first office PC was a Qubie, orange and black screen, 640K RAM (the biggest in the office) and a 20Mb Hard Disk - that HD kept me happy for two years. We had 360Kb 5.25 (they weren't 5.5) inch floppies and when the newest IBM machine came out, we were able to use 1.2Mb 5.25 inch high density floppies.

I still have to get to grips with my MacBook Pro. I KNOW it's a better machine than my PC, but the trouble is I have all my work on PC and its programs. I've bought and installed Parallels, but the other problem is migrating - I took the wireless card out of my PC when I suspected it of doing horrid things and still haven't got round to putting it back, so I don't have wireless connections to my printers from the Mac downstairs.

There have been two computing disasters over the years - Apple and OS2 failed to be marketed - Bill Gates beat them both even though he had an inferior product in both cases. For me there has been a third, namely MS Office marketed better than Lotus SmartSuite, again a superior product beaten by superior marketing.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I took the wireless card out of my PC when I suspected it of doing horrid things and still haven't got round to putting it back, so I don't have wireless connections to my printers from the Mac downstairs.

Another way of doing this might be a wireless router with USB port, so that you don't have a PC sitting there doing little else but running up your electricity bill.

The Airport card built in to your BacBook will connect to any 802.11 wireless router, so you don't need to go for the Apple Airport Base Station.

If you look on eBay, for instance, you can pick up wireless routers quite cheaply
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
the trouble is I have all my work on PC and its programs. I've bought and installed Parallels, but the other problem is migrating

The quickest way to migrate might be to invest in a USB external hard drive housing, whip the hard drive out of your PC and transfer at 480mb/s instead of 54mb/s wirelessly

This will also then give you additional hard drive space, should you need it at any time
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's OK, I've already got (recently) a 500GB eternal USB drive - since my D drive started failing I also got another internal drive - I now have drives up to M, with a hole where D is dead. I think in my case the term "migrating" should include the words "learning how to use a Mac" and "bottle enough to go for it"! Confused

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In many ways, Mac OS is similar to Windows and the leap (as you see it) is probably more like a smallish step like upgrading XP to Vista, where you also notice some differences.

If you get stuck or want a hand, give me a shout and I'll see what I can do and if you get really stuck, a phone call or three could be arranged.

I've recently taken my parents from Win 98 to Mac OS X and that went surprisingly smoothly, but I think I can handle a few more queries Thumbs Up

A quick flick through the OS X book that came with your MacBook might answer most of your initial questions and get you rolling though and once you get going, there'll be no looking back
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
...and give them one of those tennis game thingamajigs that we used to have plugged into the TV and see what they make of that Laughing

We had one of those! Bouncing

I think you'll recall it's called Pong, Many a happy hour spent with a black screen, a white dot and two white lines. Joy! Very Happy

Kids today just don't know what their missing. Wink

Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:
Skippy wrote:
Ahh, I remember some of the big boys had the 8 inch floppies...

And skippy is going to have to say something very manly to get out of this one. Very Happy

Embarassed

Ahh, you remember them too! Those were the days! Wink Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: