Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI in TomTom for Palm T3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI in TomTom for Palm T3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hingo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: POI in TomTom for Palm T3 Reply with quote

Hi,

I am new to the world of Navigation and have just purchased a TomTom Navigator for my Palm T3. Can enaybody tell me if there is any way of synching with a camera database at all?

Thanks in advance

Andy
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,

Short answer is that I don’t know. Sad

However, you can try the same way as those of us who use TomTom Navigation 2 (TTNav2) for the PocketPC. Thumbs Up

Download from this website the latest zipped camera database. Here's the link.

Extract the files, you need the .BMP and the .OV2 files. Copy these two across to the same folder as your maps. Fully shutdown then restart TomTom Navigator and then select the POIs. At this point I become unstuck, as I don’t know how the Palm version of TTNav compares with the PocketPC version.

In the PocketPC version, once you’ve copied the .BMP and the OV2 files to your map folder. You do the following:

When in the Navigator Screen, bring up the Navigator menu (tap screen once).
Select the Properties icon (tap "More" several times)
Select POI tab at the bottom of the screen.
Check the box marked “PocketGPS UK SC”

HTH, Thumbs Up
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,

Currently the Palm version of TT has different format for POIs and they are not compatible between PPC and Palm.

Even worse is the fact that the Palm version does not support installable POIs. You can create your own, but this is not too helpful if you want to load some of the really useful external POI databases.

The PocketGPSWorld.com team is going to be seeing the TomTom team next week. This will be one of the questions on our (endless) list of items to discuss.
philbattenburg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought a Palm Tungsten T3 and TomTom Bluetooth setup.

For me it's like the Curate's egg - it's good in parts but half-baked in others.

1. Without "waypoints" to indicate the routes that you have local knowledge of, it tends to select routes that you wouldn't normally take in areas that you know, but having said that, if you ignore the route offered it is damned quick at replanning the route from where you areand eventually gets it right.

2. If you want to locate a town that you don't know, then it doesn't list all the names that you would expect to find in the index of a decent detailed UK atlas, so at times you need local knowledge to assist TomTom to find places, which is perverse. Surely tomTom should be doing that for you?

3. If you want to find a town, say "Gloucester", but you don't know where it is or any names of places there, then even the City of Gloucester isn't listed! You are offered "Gloucestershire" or "South Gloucestershire" instead. For some reason known only to TomTom programmers, you have to give a street location, but if you've selected Gloucestershire as the nearest "hit" and you don't know any of the streets in Gloucester but select the first name offered, you end up with a map showing you some village miles away from Gloucester. This is very poor.

4. In rural locations, there are far too many "un named roads" of roads that are actually named, thus making TomTom relatively useless at finding places in the country.

5 It is an utter disgrace that TomTom has issued TomTom Navigator for Palm but that it doesn't work with POIs from downloadable databases as available for the PocketPC version. Furthermore, in the light of the fact that TomTom has just announced that TomTom3 and TomTom Go are about to be released, then it is an insult to those like me who have just bought the complete TomTom/Tungsten package that this system lacks the features of the other packages.

6. Since Palm and Apple Macs are "cousins" with a high degree of compatibility, it is bizarre that TomTom for Palm requires PC connection!!!
Also, the additional maps cannot be downloaded onto the Tungsten so you are paying for something that you are not getting.

All in all TomTom for Palm is an utter rip-off because it doesn't do half of what it is supposed to do.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: