Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 7 for Pocket PC?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 7 for Pocket PC?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adamj wrote:
Quote:
it would seem to me that that TomTom are now encouraging piracy by their silence on upgrading V6 for PDAs and phones by the v7 rips for these units,

Kicking loyal customers in the balls is asking for trouble and tomtom have only got themselves to blame. Just look how the ttn7 challenge has progressed from a month ago, it now unofficially runs on nearly everything out there.

I was saying this back in March, like around the time of CeBIT. Only thing I got wrong was the piracy aspect, instead of punters going to other manufacturers' products (I've yet to decide on either course, Laughing Out Loud). Seems many formerly loyal TT customers went down the piracy route. Oh well, as you say, TomTom have only themselves to blame!
TheBrit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G1LIW wrote:
Adamj wrote:
Quote:
it would seem to me that that TomTom are now encouraging piracy by their silence on upgrading V6 for PDAs and phones by the v7 rips for these units,

Kicking loyal customers in the balls is asking for trouble and tomtom have only got themselves to blame. Just look how the ttn7 challenge has progressed from a month ago, it now unofficially runs on nearly everything out there.

I was saying this back in March, like around the time of CeBIT. Only thing I got wrong was the piracy aspect, instead of punters going to other manufacturers' products (I've yet to decide on either course, Laughing Out Loud). Seems many formerly loyal TT customers went down the piracy route. Oh well, as you say, TomTom have only themselves to blame!

Piracy? OK I got the s/w unofficially but I paid for the map properly on the TT web site. My trouble is I'm just too loyal. Rolling Eyes

HTC Desire HD - Sygic
coconut
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Am I missing something here ? Reply with quote

... Back a few pages mrg2003 aksed :
Quote:
Can we discuss TT7 PDA beta?

Before you ask, it comes direct from tomtom. The license encourages that we should be trying it on as many hardware platforms as possible.

From this can I / We assume that TomTom ARE intending to release TT7 for PDA and are currently in the process of testing it ?

If so - then isn't the real issue here simply one of impatience ?

Admittedly TomTom don't seem to be in any rush to release V.76 for the PDA, but if they are at least working on it then shouldn't we just be patient and wait, rather than trying to rush them and risk ending up with a product full of bugs as a result ?

I am as keen as anyone else to upgrade my software and maps, but would much rather wait for the official version - with support, than use any sort of "dodgy" software, even if the maps are paid for !
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
From this can I / We assume that TomTom are intending to release TT7 for PDA and are currently in the process of testing it

From what i can make out TomTom Have no intentions of releasing any updates for the Pda market, as for testing i would think this has been well tested now in the so called pirate market or should it be rather called public domain, because lets face it should have have been issued purely as an update to V6.
I am in limbo now because lets face it a navigation package should be about getting from A to B in the best best possible manner and hence the Maps should be the main priority in being uptodate as possible, unfortunately this is not happening whether it be TomTom, Mcguider,IGO or any Company using Teleatlas maps because the current teleatlas maps are still 5-10 yrs out of date in some areas despite 2 particular problems reported and acknowledged 5 times by myself.
My predicament now is that I am reluctant to move from TTN6 to others like Mcguider or IGO because they use Teleatlas and are out of date specifically in my area which is my yardstick.
who do you blame perhaps TomTom because teleatlas is a subsidiary of TomTom, the net result for me is use the Public Domain so kindly created by TomTom and run ttn7 until better maps are available, Ok their is some flannel been added, but then again some was taken out of TTN5, but personally I would be most upset if I had to pay good money for ttn7 just for added flannel with no map improvements.
Incidently I not trying to further the course for piracy but just trying to justify the reasons for it, I would much rather pay for upgrades priovided they are upgrades
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

re-edited: Isnt rather odd that Navteq v6.50 maps are more uptodate than Tomtoms version 8, i.e Teleatlas current version, just check their website.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Route 66 use Navteq if that is a major driver for you, sadly though the latest application from them (version 8 for PDA) doesn't support custom POI files so you cannot have the speed cameras or any other category installed to it. A real shame that they have broken what was a decent application, version 7 wasn't bad at all, version 8 is a pathetic waste of time - Mike
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike I think your last paragraph answers that one, At the moment i am using V675 for the uk and also keep a copy of navteq 660 WE when i want uptodate maps, bit of a nuisance really, the other problem I am used to and like tomtom and prefer the simplicity which is primaraly a navigation tool hence my concern with map updates.

Aside tho teleatlas seems to be lagging far behind on updates. one of my constant reports is an incorrect street name near me opened over 10 yrs ago, surely it doesnt need a site visit to verify a street name, another one is Dead lane in the centre of Loughborough going straight thru Marks and Spencers and other buildings, just look on your own poi hybrid map, this was built over 5yrs ago, Navteq managed these 2-3 yrs ago, these are my benchmarks for map updates, being regularly reported and acknowledged over the last 2 yrs but still not changed.
Adamj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@aj2052

Does you know if 660.1223 (UK and IRE) is the last navteq map for tomtom?
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does you know if 660.1223 (UK and IRE) is the last navteq map for tomtom?

I believe 660.1223 (UK and IRE) was a Teleatatlas Map, but not 100% sure because map shows no name wereas Navteq maps usually have name on, as far as I am aware the Navteq Maps are Vers 660.1256 and 675.1322 Both Western Europe, this is to the best of my knowledge, but cannot verify at the moment.
Adamj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
MavAV
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have managed to get TTN7 working on my Sony Ericsson Xperia and would like some advice before parting with my cash for new maps. I have read somewhere that people have managed to use maps purchased for the Go 910. However looking on the Tom Tom website there is also the option to download maps for the Navigator 7 to the O2 XDA Diamond pro. To add to my confusion the map sizes for Western & Central Europe for the Go 910 and the Diamond pro are different, 1,899 MB for the Go 910 and 1,291 MB for the Diamond pro.

So my question is which version do I purchase?

Also can I use TT home v2.4 to transfer the maps to the X1, or should I look for an earlier version, or purchase the maps and transfer them across to my storage card?

Any help would be greatly appreciated Smile
adamwolfe
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently moved to Garmin XT. Mainly fed up waiting for anything "official" to come out of TT. XT isn't too expensive (£60) but if anyone is thinking of going for XT, be warned that stock other than buying direct from Garmin may not be up to date. When speaking to Garmin I was told that their mapping has just been updated approx 2-3 weeks ago. I live in a new build area (moved in in June) and my street is on the map and also various other new roads that I travel on are also included, so if up to date mapping is your thing give XT a try. Try this address for a trial version for two weeks. http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/cache/offonce/lang/en/us/samsung/overview;jsessionid=255AE50821D0747FD0E64A2F78DAD00B This is a tie with Samsung but if you dig around you can down load the latest version (5) which I'm fairly sure is the generic software. The XT interface takes a bit of getting used too after only using TT for years but if you keep at it it's actually quite good imho.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: