Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - European Points of interest for Tomtom2
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

European Points of interest for Tomtom2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
Darren,

Many thanks for firing the shot across the bows. If you can come up with a decent phrase that I can put in the text file of the next POIs that am going to submit to PocketGPS World then I’ll paste it in the text file. 8-)

Uwe at tomtomoverlay.de has posted a link to us now. He will add a comment clarifying the origin of the disputed POI overlays but needs to know which ones we claim as ours!

Can anyone who has submitted a POI overlay to PocketGPSWorld exclusively which has subsequently appeared at tomtomoverlay.de please respond in this thread with details of which overlay it was?

As for some text for inclusion in the POI file, how about "This POI overlay is copyright INSERT AUTHOR's NAME. The author retains all rights to the overlay. Permission is freely granted for NON-commercial use only. Websites wishing to host this file for download should credit both the author and the original hosts www.PocketGPSWorld.com (DELETE THIS IF IT DOES NOT APPLY!) in any published download."
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren,

Thanks for the update. It looks like a genuine mistake from somebody who wants to publish POIs for the greater good of the TomTom community.

I would suggest that Uwe looks at the text file of every POI, which he has published. All of my POIs have a valid and current email address for me in the text file.

If he is unwilling to do that then please let us know and I’ll send you an email with a list of all of my POIs that you have been kind enough to publish for me.

I like the copyright wording for insertion into the POI text file and I will use it from now on, unless we have any lawyers out there who would be happy to advise on a better wording (for free) Wink . I certainly intend PocketGPS World to be my original POI publisher/host for two reasons. I reckon that it’s the best site of its kind Thumbs Up and secondly I don’t want to have to contact other sites if I wish to submit new POIs or inform them of modified POIs. 8)

Kind Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: My POI Files Reply with quote

Hi Darren,

The POI files that I have submitted solely to Pocket GPS World and which have subsequently appeared on this other website are as follows:

Apollo Cinemas
BMW Dealerships
Borders Books
Bowlplex
Caledonian Cinemas
Clarion Hotels
Comfort Inn
Crown Plaza
Courtyard Hotels
De Vere Hotels
Four Pillars Hotels
Harry Ramsden
Holiday Inn
Hungry Horse
IMAX Cinemas
Intercontinental Hotels
Odeon Cinemas
Oxford Colleges
Sleep Inn
Swallow Hotels
UCG Cinemas
UCI Cinemas
Village Hotels
Vue Cinemas

All except two of mine were added to this other site... I wonder what was wrong with the other two?! Wink

Here's a new idea for the site... How about a prize for the person who submits the most POI files? Wink It could be something like, I don't know... just thinking off the top of my head here... a PDA and GPS set-up?!!!! Mr. Green Mr. Green Laughing

Seriously though, thanks for your help in clearing up this matter and I will definitely put something like the text you suggested in my .txt files from now on.

Bo Peep. Angel
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crikey Laura, where do you find the time to create all them? Thanks for the list, I will pass the info on.

Sadly although we get to play with lots of great kit we do not get to keep it all Crying or Very sad All our iPAQ's were bought with our own cash (if Dell or Toshiba are reading and would like to supply alternative PPC's on long term loan then drop me a line!) but we are hoping to be able to run competitions in future with some hardware prizes.

We don't get the opportunity to thank you all enough for the input and support you give, from an idea passed around on a Yahoo group one day blossomed this site and we are still amazed at how popular it has become THANK YOU ALL Thumbs Up
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha, I have no life!! Wink Nah, not really, I just like making them for some reason! Out of here Keeps me out of trouble anyway, I suppose...

I think the competitions sound a good idea - I will definitely be looking out for them and trying my luck!

I think the main reason this website is so popular is that it's very user-friendly and user-based, in that although there are obviously Pocket GPS staff and moderators who keep things running smoothly, users like myself tend to feel that we have a lot of input into things that appear on the site and into the way it works.

IMO, the main reason it is so successful is that while people get a lot out of it, everyone also puts something back in - whether it's making POI files, Beta-testing software, submitting news and reviews or simply offering advice to someone in a situation they might themselves have once been in.

I much prefer the whole 'give-and-take' feel to websites like this as you know you are getting sound, friendly, practical advice from down-to-earth people, not just some techy spouting jargon at you that you don't understand! Confused

Anyway, enough sucking-up...!! Laughing *Laughing Out Loud* Keep up the good work! Thumbs Up
Bo Peep. Angel
R1chard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a web site owner myself (www.creequealley.com if you're interested) I have found that the best way to deal with people stealing stuff off your site is to:

1) write a polite but firm email to the web site owner (if you can) giving them seven days to remove the offending material.

2) after 7 days write to the service provider who hosts the site pointing out the infringement of copyright and ask them to remove the offending material.

The terms and conditions of service providers almost always warn their users against copyright infringement. If you can demonstrate that you are the copyright owner they are more likely to take action than the people who steal from you as mostly they have a reputation to maintain.

It's worked for me on several occasions.

Richard
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

It’s been a while since I’ve looked at the following website:
http://www.tomtomoverlay.de/seiten/english/index1.htm

So I thought I’d have a little saunter over to the website to see if there were any changes or acknowledgments of the authors of the POIs, or of the original website that published them.

I’ve found nothing. Sad Can anybody else see any acknowledgments?

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: European Points Of Interest For TTN2 Reply with quote

I've had a look round all the POI sections and I have to say I can't see any acknowledgments either, which is disappointing. Confused

Quite a few of the links I followed brought up '404 Error' pages, but it seems unlikely that the acknowledgments would usually be placed here anyway.

Bo Peep.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: