Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - map updates
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

map updates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marshall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: map updates Reply with quote

Hi
all

i have been trying to make corrections on my 520

i have tried for many days without success.

every time i do it i cannot see any difference on my maps even after i have uploaded the alteration .

i can see nothing about it in the manual in fact I can't find "mapshare" at all in a search of the manual.

Can someone tell me how it is supposed to work ana how "instant" is it

marshall
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what I can see mapshare does not work 100% as advertised.

I can delete a street which seems to work okay but correcting a round-a-bout seems to have zero effect.

What kind of changes / corrections have you tried to make?

HummerUK
marshall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi HummerUK

i've been trying roundabouts and no success at all they really bug me when not there and there seems to be zillions of them

marshall Question
steveincornwall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi marshall,
Same here, I've added three new roundabouts but they haven't appeared on the updates. A blocked off road though has come back corrected after I uploaded it.
Does anyone know if the POI updates are working? Ive added and corrected several local ones but I don't want to continue unless I know others can benefit from it. Among the ones I've uploaded are Bodmin police station (well it's got to be closer than Ireland Smile ) and 3 car parks in Bodmin and 2 in Wadebridge.
Hope these ramblings make sense, I'm new here Smile
Steve.
craigend
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Go 520 map corrections Reply with quote

Like you I have posted two map corrections, both new roundabouts but neither show on the map. I have tried this several times but no change. However I CHANGED the location of a garage by about .5 of a mile and it has shown. Also reported two safety camera locations and only one is shown.
Also still have problems with hands free. I can hear the person that I call but they only hear me very softly and with distorted sound.
marshall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Go 520 map corrections Reply with quote

Hi all

craigend wrote:
Like you I have posted two map corrections, both new roundabouts but neither show on the map. I have tried this several times but no change. However I CHANGED the location of a garage by about .5 of a mile and it has shown. Also reported two safety camera locations and only one is shown.
Also still have problems with hands free. I can hear the person that I call but

they only hear me very softly and with distorted sound.

I have emailed tomtom stating the problem but don't hold your breath !!!

marshall
Ray-of-Sunshine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like me I didn't fully know what you can and can't do with map corrections your are limited in what you can change on your own map and even more so what will caome back as an update for example add a roundabout or new road and this is only reported through to whoever writes the maps for inclusion in the next map realease after being confirmed.

You can change the direction of flow on a one way system change a street name and insert a road block all of which are shown on your own map.

Personally I think this is crap surely the point of mapshare is we are all able to share in the knowledge of road changes in each of ours local areas respectively.
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray-of-Sunshine wrote:
Like me I didn't fully know what you can and can't do with map corrections your are limited in what you can change on your own map and even more so what will caome back as an update for example add a roundabout or new road and this is only reported through to whoever writes the maps for inclusion in the next map realease after being confirmed.

You can change the direction of flow on a one way system change a street name and insert a road block all of which are shown on your own map.

Personally I think this is crap surely the point of mapshare is we are all able to share in the knowledge of road changes in each of ours local areas respectively.

The reason major changes to maps regarding adding roundabouts new roads etc. don't show on your maps is because they have to be verified by TomTom. It would be to easy for some to make changes that affect their village to be done maliciously in an attempt to restrict traffic or divert it, or cause other mayhem.
There has to be some means of protecting the integrity of the surveyed map data.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
Ray-of-Sunshine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xda wrote:
The reason major changes to maps regarding adding roundabouts new roads etc. don't show on your maps is because they have to be verified by TomTom. It would be to easy for some to make changes that affect their village to be done maliciously in an attempt to restrict traffic or divert it, or cause other mayhem.
There has to be some means of protecting the integrity of the surveyed map data.

Oh I fully understand what your sying but I thought if I add a roundabout or remove one, I could at least have got it to show on my own map permanantly. I mean why on earth would I want to trick myself byt adding a roundabout.
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding, moving such things as POI's is relative easy, but to change map data on your own device is a complicated procedure involving complex changes to the map data file, routing etc. Far beyond what your device is capable of achieving.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I'm aware, the only corrections you can make that have an instant effect on your copy of the map, (or that can be downloaded to other people's maps by Mapshare) are the ones on the FIRST page of the Map Corrections menu, i.e. '(un)block street', 'Reverse traffic direction', E'dit Street name', 'Add missing POI' and 'Edit POI'.
Everything else (that you access via the "Report other error" button) is just a quick way to send a message about an error just like we used to, either to TomTom or direct to TeleAtlas.
Even the "No left/right turn into..." correction doesn't seem to affect the routing on your own unit.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marshall wrote:
hi HummerUK

i've been trying roundabouts and no success at all they really bug me when not there and there seems to be zillions of them

marshall Question

Hope you're not trying to do mini roundabouts, marshall.
TeleAtlas seems to have made a deliberate decision to pretend they don't exist. Only "proper" ones that you can't drive over seem to be drawn as roundabouts.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: