Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map location out of sync
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map location out of sync

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gps_user
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Map location out of sync Reply with quote

Hi All,
Recently upgraded my version of TOMTOM 1.5 to the later 2.24 which now supports the 3d views etc.

One thing which concerned me is that the GPS now says my home location is in a diferent street to were is was previous. I've tryed to force it but it always resets to this other street.

Is there something I an do to fix this problem?

Cheers
Tom
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that TomTom uses the "Snap to road" function. The map data has changed from 1.x to 2.x, and maybe your area got re-surveyed as well, and now your physical location in your house is closer to another street. Did you see any negative impact on the driving?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
gps_user
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers,

No issues noticed whilst driving but your thoughts make sense.

Thanks
Nick412
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I dont know if its relevant, but i have noticed recently that my position on the road, and turn offs on the 3d map using ttnv2 are slightly out a little.

i.e on the screen it shows me next to a turn off, when in fact ive already gone past it.

is this a major problem or will it sort its self out.?

also for some reason when i have a route set and come to a junction, and click alt route, it re calculates and gives me the same route back>??

i have also tried the road block option, as i know there is 2 ways into the village where i live, but it kept me on the same route.

not sure whats happening, and it may just mean the maps are out of date for my area, but some clarification would be good.

i went for a long drive at the weekend it was perfect so im hoping its just the area where i live.

Cheers
Nick
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most probably the maps are a tad out of date, and TomTom may not have been given the chance to really calculate an alternate route.

Imagine you have a long stretch of road between you and the destination, with no streets starting off this route, and with a big cow standing in the middle of the road (figuratively) .

Even if you say "Alternative Route" you don't give TomTom a chance because there's no place where you can turn off the road before the cow. (A u-turn may be considered too costly). Even if you set permanent avoids TomTom will stilll sometimes route through that area simply because there's no other viable option.

Stop torturing TomTom - you should know your way around in your village, and foreigners won't care if one or the other road is better.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Nick412
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agreed re "Stop torturing TomTom - you should know your way around in your village, and foreigners won't care if one or the other road is better."

but if i didnt know the area and the road ahead "was" blocked, how would i get to my destination.?

i know myself instead of going straight on i could have turned right and gone down the main road & then turn left after about 400 yards to bring me back into the village road.

i just thought tomtom would have known this as well, or at least turned me right instead of straight on, because if there was a road block, a tourist would have driven straight into it Smile

Cheers
Nick Thumbs Up
massey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a really new Tom Tom GPS user and my similar problems are that the system thinks I live another 100yds down the road and also when driving it shows the next road/street that I am approaching and not the road/street that I'm in.
Yes, of course I know my own area but being new to GPS I like to use in my home location to get to know it better and how does "Jane" know that I need to take the 3rd exit at the next roundabout. Wonderful.
Ian
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian,

SatNav (whichever package) is a great thing. However a computer program using map data, especially if it’s slightly “off”, will always come second place to local knowledge and human intuition. Wink

Saying that I am quietly confident that TTNav2.24 will get me from A to B as long as I do a “reality check”(especially very close to A and B) to ensure that it doesn’t lead the wrong way. 8)

Basically, you will know your local area better than any SatNav, but when you’re in an unknown area it is a great tool. Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
lostnfound
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be worth looking at this thread:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4089&sid=9fd8ca792b408b3af563404babb63c56

GPS position was out by 50 yards but there was a simple fix.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Map location out of sync Reply with quote

gps_user wrote:
Hi All,
Recently upgraded my version of TOMTOM 1.5 to the later 2.24 which now supports the 3d views etc. One thing which concerned me is that the GPS now says my home location is in a diferent street to were is was previous. I've tryed to force it but it always resets to this other street. Is there something I an do to fix this problem?

What GPS are you using and is it set to SiRF or NMEA?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: