Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Screen freezes during map scrolling
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Screen freezes during map scrolling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Screen freezes during map scrolling Reply with quote

I loaded TT2 before my bluetooth GPS arrived and immediately become worried with TomTom's tendency to lock up the UI of my XDA2 (Rom1.3) during long sessions of map mode scrolling and changes of map scale.

During the lockups that can last from 10 seconds to +1 minute TT will scroll an existing portion of the map but then it takes ages to paint the blanks. On a bad day after one freeze I will see many intermediate attempts to display the map at different scales but if I back off completely is does recover. Is this expected behaviour?

Please note that TT is loaded into main memory and no CD card is present. I can repeat the lockup with both the phone and Bluetooth disabled. I have a small UK map loaded covering the SE UK.

TT2 About shows version 2.24.2. I do not know where the GPS driver version is displayed.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GPS Driver version is display in the GPS Info application.

This is not normal behaviour and not something I have heard reports of in the past but I do not have any firts hand experience of the XDAII. I do know that there were issues with BT SPP but this does not appear to be connected with your issues. The symptoms sound more like a resource issue on the XDA itself causing memory problems. I have heard that the XDA is particularly prone to these as it has many more programs running in the background catering for the telephony side than a standard PDA.
jonh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
The GPS Driver version is display in the GPS Info application..

Thank you.

I finally managed to track this down. For the equally perplexed this is the tiny text under the world map on the GPS tab of the application that can be accessed from the main TT File menu, item "GPS status".

I am on V2.09 so this means I should load up 2.07 from your site?

Please see my new thread asking about the correct install sequence for the Holux 230 and TT.

Darren wrote:
Screen freeze... This is not normal behaviour and not something I have heard reports of in the past but I do not have any first hand experience of the XDAII. ... I have heard that the XDA is particularly prone to these as it has many more programs running in the background catering for the telephony side than a standard PDA.

Limited process slots (32) is a general issue for XDA2 users but I have pruned my starting process count to 18. Running just TomTom after a soft reset leads to the freeze problem.

I loaded a copy of the Aldi Medion navigator onto my XDA2 and the whole GUI experience was a lot slicker and way ahead in terms of recent road alterations. I would be happy to abandon TomTom for this but I could not find any info on hooking it up to bluetooth. Anyhow I will wait for the imminent XDA2 1.6 rom update, then do a hard reset and reload TomTom.

Do you know of any Pocket PC program that monitors CPU consumption across the whole machine or by process? I ask because when my machine gets sickly with TomTom even the phone app has trouble painting itself. Maybe one of the background GSM related processes is soaking up CPU.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: