Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Traffic Display on Nuvi 660 Vs 360
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Traffic Display on Nuvi 660 Vs 360

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Traffic Display on Nuvi 660 Vs 360 Reply with quote

I recently switched from a 360 to a 660FM and apart from the wider screen and benefit of the sound via the car stereo, there isn't a lot of difference between the two units - apart from the traffic display.

The 360 displays a list of all the incidents by road name which are sorted by distance (circa 6 are shown on the 360 screen) - you can scroll down a few pages to quickly see if any of the roads near you are affected and touch the relevant road / motorway incident. On the 660, you are shown a map with lots of red triangle symbols - you can't tap these. Instead it seems on the 660 that you have to scroll down through each and every incident - ie there doesn't appear to be a way of seeing what roads are affected, without having to look at each and every incident.

Is there a way that the 660 can provide traffic info similar to the 3xx series?
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No - This "new improved" feature is irritating. The full map view is great but if you want to see the potential problems on your route you may have to look at a large number of incidents that are totally irrelevant before you get to any that are useful. A tap on the one you want to look at would be very useful.
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at Garmin's firmware history, version 2.70 was the last version that had the old traffic interface (as per the Nuvi 3XX series). Most of the other upgrades since then (additional languages etc...) don't seem particularly relevant.

Does anyone know of any "killer" reasons why it wouldn't be worthwhile re-flashing the unit back to 2.70 please?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inspiredron wrote:
but if you want to see the potential problems on your route
I click on the green bar at the top, and then on the Map button - this shows a map with your route highlighted, and also shows traffic - this allows at a quick glance to see whether the traffic is on your route or not.

This is on a Nuvi 3xx, I assume the 6xx has the same feature...
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the "new" 6XX interface doesn't work the same way in which the 3XX does. I used to use the method you mention on my 360 and it highlighted the potential delays just on my route. The new 6XX doesn't seem to do this, it highlights everything, even delays you have driven through a few miles back!!!!

Does anyone know if Firmware 2.70 had the old style traffic interface and routed relatively "bug free"
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the "new" 6XX interface doesn't work the same way in which the 3XX does. I used to use the method you mention on my 360 and it highlighted the potential delays just on my route. The new 6XX doesn't seem to do this, it highlights everything, even delays you have driven through a few miles back!!!!

Does anyone know if Firmware 2.70 had the old style traffic interface and routed relatively "bug free"
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the screen I'm talking about - even the 3xx showed all traffic on the route, but at least it also shows your route on the screen, allowing you to work out if they intersect.

However, this ma not solve your problem - personally I would look through the list of "fixes" listed since then and work out whether any of them are worthwhile to you...
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
I click on the green bar at the top, and then on the Map button - this shows a map with your route highlighted, and also shows traffic - this allows at a quick glance to see whether the traffic is on your route or not.

This is on a Nuvi 3xx, I assume the 6xx has the same feature...

Certainly does - but not as straight forward. On 660 - go to main menu and tap the blue triagle symbol (bottom RHS) - this shows all warnings in affect together with your planned route highlighted.

From there tapping the top bar will show each incident - in distance order from your current position. You use the arrow buttons at bottom to move up and down the list.

I never saw 2.70 - so I can't really compare - but I find it does the job well.
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philpugh

The Nuvi 660 works as you state - what I am trying to get to is to just see the incidents en route - not a list of incidents all over the UK. Is there a way of searching on the 660 for this?
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAVC10 wrote:
Philpugh

The Nuvi 660 works as you state - what I am trying to get to is to just see the incidents en route - not a list of incidents all over the UK. Is there a way of searching on the 660 for this?

Isn't that what you get effectiveley when you tap the 'pop-up' warning triangle? I don't remember what happens now come to think Rolling Eyes - I just get it to re-route. Had real fun last Friday afternoon. 30 mile trip along M62/M60/M62/M6/M56 needed four re-routes to find a free-flowing route (just as it picked the next 'free' route another TMC warning popped up) - it managed it and I didn't suffer more than a minute or so delay - the M6 was having real big problems and causing knock-on affects
kelvin66
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using version 2.7 and it works just fine. The trafic is easier to use than the later versions and it also colours in the conjested roads in "yellow" or "red" so you have an idea what's the traffic situation on route and aroound your route.

I recommend going back to version 2.7 to anyone who's not tried it.

PS take a copy of your current.gpx file first otherwise you will loose your favourites... Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: