Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Oh Dear ':)' I ordered a 4410 yesterday before reading this
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Oh Dear ':)' I ordered a 4410 yesterday before reading this

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Midnight
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Oh Dear ':)' I ordered a 4410 yesterday before reading this Reply with quote

I ordered a 4410 and iPaq2210 bundle yesterday, but only found these forums today and am now felling somewhat depressed about the V2 problems that seem to abound Confused

My bundle won't be despatched until Monday, so I have time to cancel it - but should I, and if I do what else would I buy in it's place ?

I'm a complete newbie at GPS so any advice would be most welcome.

Also, assuming I buy the 4410, or something else, can anyone tell me what I would need to buy to use it for skiing. I would like to be able to track where I have skiied, distances, speeds - I don't need to plan a route cos I will either know where I am going or won't care .

Many Thanks

Mid
Midnight
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought, I think I could buy a 4410 without software - would it be worth doing this and then buying TomTom or some other software/maps ?

Cheers

Mid
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navman is good software, personally I prefer TomTom but is is just a personal perefernce and there are many happy Navman users out there.

As for recording ski tracks, neither Navman or TomTom are suitable for this. You need to be looking at other software such as Memory-Map or OziExplorer to log routes and capture tracks. You don't say where it is that you will be skiing as this will have some bearing on which products have coverage etc.
Midnight
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Darren.

We will be skiing in the french Alps (La Plagne). I'm also hoping to be able to use SmartSt V2 to navigate from Geneva airport to la Plagne.

I seem to have spent all week researching all the options but just getting more and more confused about what to buy Mr. Green

Mid
gakennedy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One option for you could be the 4100 (ie. navman unit but no software) + tom tom, but I think if you want the european maps that would end up costing a lot more than the 4410.

I've just been doing some comparisons between the v1 and v2 software which I'm going to post later which sound a little negative, but as a new user (ie someone not upgrading from v1) it's still pretty decent software. I'm pretty sure navman will fix the issues that are being found, it would be commercial suicide not to.

btw, I can also recommend the memory map software, but I've only been using it with UK maps, but the track option does give a nice trace of where you have been and some information on speed & distance.
Midnight
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks gakennedy, I'll take a look at MM. Think I'll try the Navman, I expect they will have to fix the problems if they want to stay in the running. If they don't then I'll cut my losses and go with Tom Tom.
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midnight, despite the negative posts you may have seen from me elsewhere in this forum, this was primarily about the £140 upgrade for V1 to V2. :x

My complants did pay off, I got a free upgrade. :P

Overall, V2 is a good price if you need European maps. TomTom charges xtra for these. There are a number of quirks in V2 if you are familiar with V1. The V2 maps are more up to date that TomTom (currently 2002 vintage), showing roads that were only built early 2003, but it is hoped TomTom will be updated to at least similar vintage maps when Navigator 3 is released. 8)

There are problems with V2 navigation. Today V2 directed me off the A14 onto the A134 - generally no problem. It suddenly announced a left turn that took me back to the A14 and then tried to direct me away from my destination! Also written direction in the routing window can be misleading (take 1st exit A12 when this is actually A14! Rolling Eyes ), always look at the map if you can, to understand where you need to go....

By the way, enjoy la Plagne, i'm jealous!!!! Mr. Green Especially as they have opened the paradiski lift to Les Arcs. 420kms of piste to ski now....
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
Midnight
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TY for info Steeveee. Just read weather reports for La Plagne, they've just had a covering of ............ SAND Confused
Apparently it blew in on a foen wind from africa. I don't believe it, hope it snows soon.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: