Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Go 720 coming. Should I update it?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Go 720 coming. Should I update it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Go 720 coming. Should I update it? Reply with quote

I'm getting a Go 720 to replace my old iPAQ/TTN 6 for my Happy Birthday!
Her in drawers won't let me get a look at it until the day, 18th April Burn In Hell I don't even know what operating version it will have, but I hope it will be 7.221. It's from Amazon, I don't know how long it will have been in stock.

Yes. the first thing I'll do after charging it will be to copy all the files as an Explorer backup, before I even answer it's setup questions, and copy that backup to a CD or DVD. (Will it fit on a CD?).

Then I'll set it up, connect to Home and accept a map update if I don't already have the latest, 715 I believe.

But I am worried, having browsed the forum, about accepting an update to the latest firmware v7.481. As I live in Guernsey, and will only use the Go when on holiday in the UK or France, I won't be using any sort of Traffic.

So are the only problems with 7.481 connected with Traffic? Or would I be better to hold off updating higher than 7.221 for the time being. Perhaps until if & when version 8 is available as an update. Assuming there are no bugs in Version 8 Laughing

Maybe all the 7.480 & 7.481 bugs will have been solved in the next fortnight Surprised I should be so lucky.

Cheers Cheers!

Keith
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will very probably be running 7,221 or even earlier, if you want to put the whole back up on disk then you will need DVD as the maps alone are larger than the capacity of a CD.

7,481 seems much better with the exception of RDS-TMC which you have noted, so I see little problem in upgrading the device AFTER the all important back up - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you've done your homework!

My advice would be to do everything you suggest, but refuse the offer to update to v7.481.
Before you connect the 720, I would also change the preferences menu in TT Home so it:
1. doesn't start automatically when you boot up your computer, and
2. stop it checking for updates automatically every time you connect your device. This puts you a little bit more in control.

As far as I can see, there is nothing major in ANY of the updates since the first v7 version that you may have on your new Go.
Toneloc427
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New maps should be coming out at the end of the month. In the event of a delay, it might be best to wait as long as you can before turning your new 720 on to ensure that your "latest map guarantee" can be used for the next set of maps.
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toneloc427 wrote:
New maps should be coming out at the end of the month. In the event of a delay, it might be best to wait as long as you can before turning your new 720 on to ensure that your "latest map guarantee" can be used for the next set of maps.

As long as you do not connect to tomtom home the latest map guarantee starts when you do ( within limitations ie don't leave it months).!!
I may be wrong and I am sure someone else will post if I am not correct .

I do not think I could have a new toy and just let it sit there looking at it Smile
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite often the map update doesn't work automatically so a call to TT support is required. They will ask you to fax over a receipt for the device and only if you are within the time period will you get your free map update.
I wouldn't leave it too long, as for new maps neing available at the end of the month, assuming the x30 range hit the shops they will contain new maps, there is nothing to suggest these maps or new software will be released at the same time. I would expect at least three to six months before you see anything for the x20 - Mike
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the advice. I'll keep watching the forum and update when it seems most of the bugs are fixed (V8????). I'll check the map version though and follow Mike's advice.

John877 wrote
Quote:
I do not think I could have a new toy and just let it sit there looking at it

Actually I haven't even been able to look at it. I only know it arrived in the post a few days ago and it is very hard, especially as I'm over in the UK next week and am going to have to use my old PDA & Navigator. Crying
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Go 720 coming. Should I update it? Reply with quote

Calomax wrote:

Her in drawers won't let me get a look at it until the day, 18th April

Keith

Why not Bribe her, with a surprise night out, only if she gives you your TomTom Rolling Eyes
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried that, didn't work Evil or Very Mad . Says I can have it in time for our trip to France on 23rd April. CoPilot
Toneloc427
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john877 wrote:
As long as you do not connect to tomtom home the latest map guarantee starts when you do ( within limitations ie don't leave it months).!!
I may be wrong and I am sure someone else will post if I am not correct .

I'm fairly certain that it is actually linked to the first time the unit is turned on - it then creates a file indicating that date/time, and I believe this is what HOME uses to determine whether or not you qualify for an update. Maybe this is why so many people are having trouble with this process - they think they can wait to connect to HOME to initiate the 30-days.

I've done this with 15-20 units and not had a problem once. Of course, this is in the US, where I seem to have much better luck with any sort of update/Customer Service/repair issue than the nightmares you folks experience across the pond.
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calomax wrote:
Tried that, didn't work Evil or Very Mad . Says I can have it in time for our trip to France on 23rd April. CoPilot

Now then, tell her you need it now to make sure it accepts the activation code ( white lie) and any updates.Also to make sure your destination in France is on the maps. So you'll need time to get a replacement if it fails.

failing all this, do as I did, Sulk.

Crying or Very sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: