Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ANN: Postcode support for TTN2 on PocketPC
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ANN: Postcode support for TTN2 on PocketPC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve_o
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

Anyone had any issues thier Pocket pc trying to connect to something. Scince installing the postcode software(not that i'm blaming it) I keep getting a window pop up every 20 mins or so saying "Unable to connect: You have no modem entries created,and no network card present"

My options are to dissmis or go into settings where I don't really know what i'm doing and don't want to start fiddling with with stuff.

Any idea's??

Thanks.

Steve_o
stuartm
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynamite wrote:
The .NET Compact Framework is downloadable from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=359EA6DA-FC5D-41CC-AC04-7BB50A134556&displaylang=en

I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences if anyone tries this...

- Niels

I've tried it and get the error message "Cannot find 'ukpostcode' (or one of it's components)"
dynamite
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartm,

If you give us a bit more info about what you're running (PPC2002 or WM2003 and on which machine) we may be able to figure out the problem.

A couple of other people have had that same error, and I'm sure we'll be able to fix it for you too.

As an aside, I've got a PPC2002 version compiled and running on one machine so far, it will be released to the web site over the next few days.

- Niels
pgchimp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Note of thanks Reply with quote

I feel that i ought to write a few lines offering a note of thanks for this programme and all the help Dynamite has offered to get this up and running

I am using an Ipaq 3950 with 2002 installed, I tried to load this programme without .NET installed but it was a "No Go"

After following the link supplied by Dynamite on this thread i installed the .NET software and using the programme for 2002 thought i would have a go.

Initally i got into a right mess and nothing worked, but this was due to my lack of knowledge understanding the link between the PC and the PPC

After i had got my head around this and restarted all went well, with the transfer via the activesync going to plan.

In operation throughout the day the programme was very responsive and rapid and a valuable asset to my work. I experienced no "lock ups" delays or any adverse workings within Tom Tom

So if you are running 2002 and need a brilliant post code data base which does not take forever then this is the one to try. It worked for me

pgchimp
thax1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Steve_o Reply with quote

Steve_o,

I had a similar thing about a year ago, where the pda would keep trying to dial out every 20 mins or so via a bluetooth link on my mobile.

If I didnt have a modem link setup, I'd probably see the error message you have now.

I think it was because i'd interrupted an activesync session partway thru.

I let it resync fully via the usb lead and it was fine thereafter.

Hope it helps.
Parky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get exactly the same as Stuartm "Cannot find ukpostcode (or one of it's components)"

Running a HP 5450 under 2002, installed the .net compact framework as required.

It's a pity, I would have liked to try this program.

Alan
Nick412
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
ive just downloaded this and i have a problem which im hoping someone can help me out with.

i have downloaded the ppc 2002 version & unzipped to a folder on my desktop pc

i have clicked setup - and it connects to the pda

the next screen is where i get a problem...it shows me the apps currently installed with ticks etc...but

it says space required for this app 0.0kb
space available 32mb etc

after i select default folder, and click ok nothing happens, and it doesnt look as though it has installed.

any help would be gr8

im on my dinner so fast assist would be appreciated.

Regards
Nick
dynamite
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parky, Stuartm,

It would be worth you checking that you've got the latest download - there was an issue with the application trying to link to debug dlls which most people don't have on their machines. I've separated out the downloads so you should be able to download just the .exe files without the biiig database file. http://www.digitools.co.uk/downloads/ukpostcode/download.php

Nick412,

I see you are using CheckPOInt - in this case I don't think you need to run the setup.exe file at all, it installs the tomtom drivers which should already be on your machine. Try just copying the .exe and .dat files to your storage card (Step 4 onwards in installation instructions).

You can verify that you already have the tomtom driver on your machine by looking for a file called TTNControl.ocx in the \Windows folder on the PocketPC.

- Niels
Nick412
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dynamite,

BIG THANKS for this app, very useful and extremely easy to use.

I did as you suggested and all works fine Thumbs Up

In later versions is there going to be some kind of add code option>? as my postal code (and that of a friends) doesnt seem to be in the database.

It would be good if the user could possibly add a post code this they do the poi`s etc.

anyway, im well impressed, and you never know tomtom maybe calling you soon for app integration in the next version etc Smile if they do, remember us wont you.!

Regards
Nick
Parky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dynamite,

Great, got the program up and running with the new link.

Well done on what is a great little program, I look forward to using it over the next few days,

Alan
Parky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a thought about this fantastic major developement !

I can see so many of us wanting to use this program, that I think that when you read this Dave, Darren, or any of the GPS team, the topic should be made a sticky, for all to keep referring back to. Thumbs Up

Alan
DinAlt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick note,

Been using this since it Dynamite asked for a few beta testers - it seems to work perfectly (more reliably than tomTom2 at any rate Mr. Green ).

The one thing it does higlight is the gaps in the post code data base (telford etc.) that said I did a multi point 350 mile journey today and not once did I have to check an address - and such is the speed of the app that it is till faster to page out of Tomtom and start the codechecker than use tomtoms address look up - all in all a fantastic little utility !!

DinAlt
pgchimp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DinAlt

I have been using this for the last 2 days using 2002, like you i needed postcodes for Telford and Shrewsbury

Living and working around Telford and Shrewsbury i have had cause to use Dynamites programme extensively. During the past 2 days of running this programme i have input over 60 Telford and Shrewsbury post codes,

Some i have used, some from adverts, Yellow pages etc, So far there has only been 5 telford post codes that did not work within the database. All the Shrewsbury and surrounding areas tried worked.

I will continue to trial these areas extensively inputting codes for use and reference

Alan
dynamite
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I can cope with all this praise Embarassed - thanks guys!

Regarding the missing post codes, I have a plan... It involves using a mobile phone to connect to the internet to resolve the missing postcode. A web service on my site would do the lookup so the PocketPC would only need to send and receive a short burst of data, making it quick and cheap to use (minimal phone charges).

It would take a little while to develop, but I think it can be done. Clearly only useful for people with internet connected 'phones.

Comments, suggestions...

- Niels
Howarduk
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regard to the missing postcodes. I have read somewhere on this forum that there are one and half million postcodes in the UK. Now I think dynamites programme is absolutely brilliant and is the missing piece of software that TTN should have as part of its software Thumbs Up

However, what he has done was use the existing postcode database from George Spanellis I havent actually counted all the postcodes that there is but I dont think its anything like one and half million. So, great idea about using the phone to get the missing postcodes, but possibly not very practical. However, if its the only way to get the missing postcodes then why not.

Howard

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 2 of 14

Jump to: